Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Twice Baked Potato Ideas  (Read 742 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Twice Baked Potato Ideas
« on: January 02, 2020, 01:25:28 PM »

I am going to be fixing twiced baked potatoes for a dinner next week.  All the recipes I have looked at seem to all add the same things -- butter, sour cream, chives, bacon and cheddar cheese.  You folks have any different ideas, particulatly different cheese or cheeses for the filling?  Thanks for all ideas.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Twice Baked Potato Ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 01:30:19 PM »

"Fixing" - you must be getting used to the language in the South.

I remember the first time I heard that word used in that context.  I was about 23-24 years old and had just started a new job in Memphis as an Accounting Manager at a small company after relocating from PA and never being out of the Northeast before.  I was waiting on the Purchasing Manager to get a purchase order to me for some reason.  I went into his office to ask him where it was.  He said to me, "I am fixing to print it."  My reply was, "What is wrong with your printer?"

Anyway, back to your original question.  How about smoked gouda or blue cheese instead of cheddar?  Or jalapenos instead of chives?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 02:09:39 PM »

A friend who owns a high-end restaurant in Omaha told me why twice-baked potatoes are on menus.  He says they're the leftover baked potatoes from previous days.

Beef tips in gravy is the leftover prime rib.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 02:19:26 PM »

Probably not for everyone but we have added black olives and spicy pepperoni and pepperoncini  all soft chopped. The other ingredients you listed included. Topped with scallions, marinara, sour cream and ranch as dipping stuff. They were really good.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 02:55:08 PM »

I love smoked gouda, but Bent doesn't seem to be a fan.  I don't like blue cheese, but he does and he is also serving prime rib and I know a lot of folks like blue cheese with beef.  So that is a very interesting idea.

I don't know the heat tolerance of the guests, so will probably give the jalapenos a pass this time, but I love that idea for a future cook.

Bent would love both black olives and pepperoni, but I don't like either!!!

Seems to me successful restuarants quickly learn how to take left-overs and make a new useful course out of them or they start to lose money and the next thing you know, they are out of business.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 03:22:13 PM »

I am not a fan of gouda at all, Gwen loves it. Blue cheese, give us both a big spoon. What I gotta try is rib roast with blue cheese. That is something I have never tried.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 03:27:24 PM »

Seems to me successful restuarants quickly learn how to take left-overs and make a new useful course out of them or they start to lose money and the next thing you know, they are out of business.

Fairly sure that Wendy's chili is their leftover hamburgers too
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 04:05:00 PM »

We did a baked potato bar over Christmas, bacon, broccoli, cheese sauce, sour cream, BBQ sauce, taco meat. Have always like doing that every so often.  Had couple left over potatoes. Decided to slice them about 1/4" thick and then fried them up. Been to a couple restaurants that serve them that way. Really awesome.

smokin soon

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 04:12:45 PM »

I use Red Potato for the fill. Love the taste and texture. I save the inside of the bakers for other things like Shepherd's pie.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 04:18:38 PM »

I can't believe with all the replies that no one mentioned horseradish. I don't believe that I've ever had one that didn't have it. Maybe it's my region, but they always have it to some degree. Some much more than others.

They used to be commonplace on many menus around here. You don't see them as much in the last 15 years or so.

I've made them with blue cheese and horseradish. It will certainly clear the sinuses.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 04:21:19 PM »

Fairly sure that Wendy's chili is their leftover hamburgers too

Not just leftovers, but also all the screw ups. I knew a guy in high school that worked there. Anything that got burnt or other issues just got tossed in the chili.

hokiepop

• Using less gas.
  • West Point, VA
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 09:02:43 PM »

For a different take on twice baked potatoes try stuffing with crab meat.   The following recipe is from a Junior League of Baton Rouge cook book printed 45 years ago.  My family has made this multiple times over the years and it is always a hit.

4 medium baking potatoes, half a pound of crabmeat (we use backfin blue crab),1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup light cream, 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper to taste, 4 teaspoons of grated onion, 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese grated, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika

Bake potatoes at 325 until you can pierce with a fork.  Cut the potatoes lengthwise and scoop out potato and whip with butter, cream, salt, pepper, onion and cheese.  Mix in the crabmeat with a fork and refill the potato shells.  Sprinkle with paprika and reheat in oven at 450 for about 15 minutes.

These freeze very nicely if you you need to make ahead of time.

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 10:43:41 PM »

You can never go wrong with the classic fixins.  I love caramelized onions, basil, mozzarella and potatoes.  A variation on Potatoes O’Brien would work or go unconventional and take ideas from the samosa or German potato salad .

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 07:52:02 AM »

So many good ideas!  Bent loves crab, so if he wants a bit of s urf and turf he may like the crab meat idea. Thanks everyone. This thread will be good for me to come back to inthe future.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 08:21:41 AM »

Post some pics of what you end up going with for your meal.  Curious to see and hear about the results.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up