Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Drip Coffee Maker Dilemma  (Read 1880 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Re: Drip Coffee Maker Dilemma
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2020, 11:20:03 AM »

Just a thought as I lie after ding my knee exercises .  It is amazing that we will spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on a pellet grill however one will tend to agonize over spending  100 or so dollars on a coffee maker.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2020, 02:07:53 PM »

What I have taken away from this thread is more expensive units do not equate to longer life.
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2020, 02:15:32 PM »

What I have taken away from this thread is more expensive units do not equate to longer life.

That's probably true, the higher priced units have more parts to fail, but take it from a 70+ year coffee drinker who has done a plethora of research on the subject, combined with the right beans they do produce better tasting coffee.  :2cents:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 02:17:59 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

rdsbucks

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • "Everything rises and falls with leadership." -JM
    • I'm a leader in Dr. John Maxwell's foundation.
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2020, 03:10:39 PM »

We use a basic Bunn coffee maker and it is great. Makes great coffee, quickly.
Fast Eddy's Cookshack PG 500 Pit Barrel Cooker Traeger Tailgater

urnmor

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2020, 03:51:39 PM »

That's probably true, the higher priced units have more parts to fail, but take it from a 70+ year coffee drinker who has done a plethora of research on the subject, combined with the right beans they do produce better tasting coffee.  :2cents:

I agree as I have also found that quality stands the test of time however one must take care of these new machines more so then the old percolator.

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2020, 09:45:31 AM »

We use a basic Bunn coffee maker and it is great. Makes great coffee, quickly.

We have the same.
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2020, 10:14:03 AM »

Exactly Bent. I understand nothing is 100% and am willing to deal with it. However when the fail rates are 30 - 50% or higher it doesn't sit right with me.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2020, 11:08:34 AM »

What I've taken away from this thread is that, in matters of taste...tastes vary.  I wrote that Marcia & I found K-Cup coffee that we like.  Others, who have more experience with coffee brewing, may not like our choices as well as the brands & brewing method they use.  We might easily switch from our Keurig to another formula if we sample other methods that produce coffee that we like better.

A man at church told me that he burns wood chips in an air-tight aluminum foil envelope in an old refrigerator he modified.  He said, "It makes wonderful smoked meat."  Marcia had to stop me from telling him too much about pellet pits, kamados, barrel smokers and stick burners.  She later said, "It's just a matter of taste preference.  He may change his mind if he tastes food from another pit, and he may not.  Leave him alone."
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

plantzva

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
  • Rec Tec Stampede
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2020, 11:51:19 AM »

I too had this problem a few year back. My Cuisinart grind and brew started to fail and I looked into replacing but always hated the entire cleaning process. The fact that the grinder got wet with steam from brewing was an awful design flaw. I finally got a decent deal on a refurbished breville grind control coffee maker. The only cleaning you have to do is filter and basket. Hopper is easy way to hold a good amount of beans and doesn’t need cleaning very often 1-2 times in past several years. Can set the grind to ur preference and time. The grinder going off in am is my alarm clock, pretty loud.  The carafe stays hot especially if pre heated.

MN-Smoker

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 01:12:15 PM »

We enjoy our coffee and bought a $150 Bonavita.

At the time it was the only coffee maker approved by the Speciality Coffee Association.

It's a simple unit in construction with no fancy timers.

When guests are over and have a cup of coffee, they compliment us on how good the coffee tastes and how friendly and attractive my wife is.
For compliments like that, a guy will pay almost any price, and the $150 is well worth it at the going rate of $80 per compliment.

We've had the Bonavita for over 6 years and never a hiccup. Just an occasional cleaning with vinegar.
Firecraft Q-450 Broilmaster Superb Gasser

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 03:42:58 PM »

When guests are over and have a cup of coffee, they compliment us on how good the coffee tastes and how friendly and attractive my wife is.

I wonder why they never say that you're an attractive couple.   ;D
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bennett

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 12:25:39 PM »

Just to defend the expensive coffee makers. I have had a Moccamaster by Technivorm since 2013. It works great and makes a six minute pot of coffee without having preheated water like a Bunn does. It also has a thermal carafe so coffee doesn’t burn on a hot plate after you brew it. It is an expensive one but it works great. We make a pot on weekdays and 2-3 on Saturday and Sunday.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2020, 12:48:03 PM »

Moccamaster is on my list as it is reputed to be reliable, makes very good coffee, lasts a long time, and important to me, parts are available to the customer or factory installed.  On the negative side, the

Moccamaster "cups" are 4 OZ, not the usual 6 OZ size. Our present 12 cup carafe is the perfect size for us. It's a 12 cup size: 12 X 6=72 ounces. The Moccamaster 10 cup works out to 10X 4=40 ounces, almost

1/2 the amount of coffee. To us, that would mean 2 daily brewing sessions.

I have read the thermal carafe has a tendency to drip while pouring. Have you experienced it?  How long does the thermal carafe actually keep the coffee good + hot if not preheated? The write-ups say 1 1/2 hrs. 

MN-Smoker

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2020, 03:57:46 PM »

I wonder why they never say that you're an attractive couple.   ;D

:clap: :clap:

MN-Smoker

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2020, 03:59:58 PM »

Moccamaster is on my list as it is reputed to be reliable, makes very good coffee, lasts a long time, and important to me, parts are available to the customer or factory installed.  On the negative side, the

Moccamaster "cups" are 4 OZ, not the usual 6 OZ size. Our present 12 cup carafe is the perfect size for us. It's a 12 cup size: 12 X 6=72 ounces. The Moccamaster 10 cup works out to 10X 4=40 ounces, almost

1/2 the amount of coffee. To us, that would mean 2 daily brewing sessions.

I have read the thermal carafe has a tendency to drip while pouring. Have you experienced it?  How long does the thermal carafe actually keep the coffee good + hot if not preheated? The write-ups say 1 1/2 hrs.

That unit looks very similar to the Bonavita and similar in brew times as well. We have the thermal carafe on ours which has been great. Keeps coffee warm for hours.
Our unit has been solid but the moccamaster is an impressive looking machine as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up