Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion Thread for Camp Chef WoodWind Model PG 24 WWS  (Read 42868 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Discussion Thread for Camp Chef WoodWind Model PG 24 WWS
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2017, 03:23:14 PM »

I didn't think mine was as tender and moist as when I foil around the stall.  Be curious to get your assessment of your results.  Looks like the grill is doing its job.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2017, 03:47:02 PM »

I think Kristin feels like you, but I will let her make her own comments.  If I do it again with the next PT on the butt, I will pan and foil at 180° just to compare.

Results posted..

I didn't think mine was as tender and moist as when I foil around the stall.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2017, 04:28:14 PM »

Nice color on that shoulder though
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2017, 04:38:41 PM »

But you can see why the Picnic is usually cheaper...Between skin, bone and inner gunk...a 7.7lb Picnic produces just over 3lbs of meat.  My friend still gets PP for $2.50/Lb.  I know I am as good as any BBQ Restaurant in Mayberry and the cheapest here is $14/lb...so good deal!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2017, 05:22:30 PM »

Yeah, I don't cook the picnic anymore no matter how cheap it is for those reasons plus I don't think it gets as tender and I think it tastes different than the pork butt shoulder.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2017, 05:55:12 PM »

The bark was really good, better than anything in recent memory.  The meat was not as tender as it could have been and was not moist.  Not a fan of hot and fast at this point.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2017, 06:41:30 PM »

The bark was really good, better than anything in recent memory.  The meat was not as tender as it could have been and was not moist.  Not a fan of hot and fast at this point.

Try it again on something other than the picnic portion of the shoulder.  I think that is part of the issue with not being tender and not being moist.  The other may be not foiling as well.

Queball

« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2017, 09:38:42 AM »

I was researching something on the web and on the side bar this came up from Camp Chef.
                                     https://www.campchef.com/smokepro-bbq-sear-box.html
Nice video of the thing cooking. Thought its sudden appearance was quite curious. ..... Guess they are tracking us. But it's very good and I'm very interested in the potemtial of one of these. Thought I'd share.

Two unanswered questions:
1. There was concern about grease dripping from the bottom of the sear unit, because of the holes in it, even though it does have a grease collection box. After doing cheeseburgers on it, any new info?
2. I've asked this previously. Is it conceivable to use this as a side burner for applications that would require pots, for things like corn on the cob or preparing sauces or braising?
3. Does the hose and regulator between the unit and the propane tank, come with the sear box?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:03:35 AM by Queball »

MN-Smoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2017, 11:48:33 AM »

I was researching something on the web and on the side bar this came up from Camp Chef.
                                     https://www.campchef.com/smokepro-bbq-sear-box.html
Nice video of the thing cooking. Thought its sudden appearance was quite curious. ..... Guess they are tracking us. But it's very good and I'm very interested in the potemtial of one of these. Thought I'd share.

1. There was concern about grease dripping from the bottom of the sear unit, because of the holes in it, even though it does have a grease collection box. After doing cheeseburgers on it, any new info?
2. I've asked this previously. Is it conceivable to use this as a side burner for applications that would require pots, for things like corn on the cob or preparing sauces or braising?
3. Does the hose and regulator between the unit and the propane tank, come with the sear box?

Just my guesses:

1.  I would think the plate over the burner would deflect grease away from the holes.  (Flavorizer deflector).
2.  Although the shape isn't perfect for a pot, at the temps it's reaching, I wouldn't see why not other than heat going up the sides of the pot as much as the center.
3.  (I would assume so)

Firecraft Q-450 Broilmaster Superb Gasser

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2017, 01:19:59 PM »

I will show these photos for you.  Obviously 1 large cheeseburger and 2 brats is not much grease.  Hopefully the photos will answer your question.  Looking at the 1st photo, the patina looking area is obviously grease.  You probably cannot tell from the photograph, but the top and bottom slope down into the grease collector.

It is conceivable to use as a side burner, but I think it would be extremely inefficient and I personally would not use it that way.  The gas is just not direct like on a gas burner.

Yes.

Queball

« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2017, 06:03:02 PM »

Bentley,

If the diffuser plate was removed and you only had the cast iron grate, do you feel it would still be an ineffective heat source forpots.
I apologize for bothering you with this, but I am seriously considering this sort of thing, and this potentially could be the one.

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2017, 07:29:36 PM »

Bentley,

If the diffuser plate was removed and you only had the cast iron grate, do you feel it would still be an ineffective heat source forpots.
I apologize for bothering you with this, but I am seriously considering this sort of thing, and this potentially could be the one.

I just don't see the option as viable for a pot. The stove top in the kitchen would be far more appropriate. Not to say that you couldn't, but it seems counter productive. If yer pot covered the entire burner area, that would be different. 

:2cents:
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Queball

« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2017, 07:46:52 PM »

Bobitis,
In all seasons I cook outside. I have an electric stove and I hate it! I currently have a gasser along with my PG. The out burner on the gasser is a joke. If it's the slightest bit windy it can go out and it really doesn't have any power. Many of the dishes I prepare are traditional recipes that I attempt to convert to "Cue" preparations. But, in some cases, for some operations  you need a burner and taking the show inside while stuff might be also happening in the PG at the same time just doesn't work. I'm sure the unit is out there. ... Just haven't pursued it yet. I just thought that with the screen taken out and the double pipes close together as they are, that I might have the horsepower to make it happen.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2017, 07:54:17 PM »

My friend, this is why we do these. 

If you removed the black piece and the silver piece with many holes, it would be much more effective in that configuration.

SmokinPete55

« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2017, 08:12:32 PM »

My friend, this is why we do these. 

If you removed the black piece and the silver piece with many holes, it would be much more effective in that configuration.

are you sure ?     any chance of an objective test .   maybe pre-heat  for a certain time period , then  how long to how hot on both ?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up