Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: One Month Today  (Read 6243 times)

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
Re: One Month Today
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2017, 02:48:09 PM »

Know that yours and others enthusiasm is noted...and don't take this personally, but I am not concerned with growth! 

Of those now 306 Members, 133 have never made a post!  43% of the Members have never made a post! And another 85, 27% have less then 5 posts!  Why Join?  You can see everything except the Competition Section as a guest...

And if you are joining for giveaways?  Everyone know now!  This site will NEVER have a drawing for a Performance Tested Unit!

Why is it a pet peeve, to much to explain here, folks seems to leave that contributed (then and even now), and I never knew why...some, I think a very small amount,  I rubber the wrong way and they did the same to me, we were never gonna get along anyway so a loss I was willing to take, but others...I do not know.  Guess I don't want to see it repeated...

Guess I would rather have 100 Members in 5 years that contribute ever day, then 10,000 in 1 year that contribute once a year!

and now ... 300!

:2cents:

I got turned off when pelletheads members went ballistic on the whole wifi mode. It was a time where 1 post in 20 had anything to do with pellet cooking.
I think wifi is a good thing for some. Not for me. I want to read about cooking; not how to view my progress when I'm at werk or the grocery store.

If this site gets mental and goes off the map, I'll become a lurker.

Giveaways?  Whatcha gonna do with all those pits Bentley?  You could easily 'qualify' the right to enter.

I'm with you 100% on the member vs contributor theme.  Why would someone bother to sign up and go silent?  ::)
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »

I just hope that the quality of the posts can remain high like they have been so far.  Outstanding cooks, tutorials, pictures, recipes.  We have had some excellent member reviews of products and I look forward to more.  I really hope some folks will take on reviews of rubs and sauces.  I am not very adventurous with rubs and sauces and would really enjoy the insights that I know many of you could bring to those topics. 

People have stepped up and offered great tips and advice and been very generous in their sharing.  I can't thank everyone individually, but I do so appreciate the depth it brings to the forum.  I never cared if we had the biggest forum, but just wanted quality contributions and, to date, that is happening.

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2017, 03:13:11 PM »

So we got 88 members that are somewhat active, in a month. Seems pretty OK to me

I agree.  I don't have much insight to give because I've been pellet cooking since last March.  But I'm not afraid to ask questions and for advice, and both have been graciously answered.  And for that I thank everyone.  Especially Kristin, Bentley, LSFS and Sleebus.  Thank y'all!!  BP
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; Woodwind Pro 24 with Sidekick Sear and griddle top

pdf256

• Using less gas.
  • San Juan Capistrano, CA, USA
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2017, 03:43:47 PM »

So we got 88 members that are somewhat active, in a month. Seems pretty OK to me

I agree.  I don't have much insight to give because I've been pellet cooking since last March.  But I'm not afraid to ask questions and for advice, and both have been graciously answered.  And for that I thank everyone.  Especially Kristin, Bentley, LSFS and Sleebus.  Thank y'all!!  BP

I am in the same boat, I started with a Traeger Jr last March and then in August got a Camp Chef Woodwind.

I read a lot, but only post once in a while.
Paul Francis Camp Chef Woodwind with sear box Traeger Jr Elite Unni Pizza Oven (got it!)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2017, 04:18:25 PM »

Let me say this about that...I am sure some Manufactures would like to have them given away on the site, they are just nice that way.  I never liked that concept.  It is not meant as disrespect to the Manufacture, but you have been around awhile, you saw what happened on Pelletheads.com when it was done...I also do not like to set a precedent where maybe one has no issues with doing it, but another Manufacture does, but then feels it is expected since "everyone" does it.  Just don't need that.  Send it because you want it exposed to potential clients, and are confident in its Performance.  End of Story.

Again, back to Mr. Blunt, if you are just here for that, I don't want you here or need you here! (Obviously this is not directed at you!)

So, now to answer your question.  They will be...

Sent back to the Manufacture.
Sent to the Manufactures local dealer.
Sold at a price the Manufacture says and the proceeds sent to the Manufacture.
Donated to an organization the Manufacture designates or agrees to.
Or I guess maybe X if I think it reasonable.

Giveaways?  Whatcha gonna do with all those pits Bentley? 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:20:38 PM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Rick

• Using less gas.
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2017, 04:23:27 PM »

Happy with the content...  But disappointed that 70% of the members have posted 5 or less.  I'm sure the happy medium is someplace in the middle.  But you certainly don't want to degrade the quality for quantity.  As mentioned, that will drive people away.

Personally, I don't usually post unless I feel I'm adding value to the topic.  That's not to say you couldn't find posts of mine that add no value. Some would argue I do that much too often.

Congrats on the anniversary (and your successes)...  and here is to many more   :beer:

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2017, 04:25:02 PM »

And you have 8 post...You could buy and sell, 70% of the Members!   :pig:

I read a lot, but only post once in a while.

Queball

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2017, 04:37:56 PM »

It your show and you can do what you please.

Personally, I believe you've lost a way to generate enthusiasm in not having a lottery. Selfishly, for those that take the time to post, it's a nice thing ... a possible little bonus. What ticked me off was the fact that people won some fabulous equipment and never posted one photo of one cook. For the manufacturer, how disappointing and for the winners, how thoughtless!

I spend a lot of time on my posts and there have been many times, by the response count I get, I ask myself why bother. I agree with a lot of what Bobitis has stated. I learned what I know early on from Pelletheads. In its last 2 years I rarely showed up. The "Tech" guys and other forces attempting to take over the sight just got old. I'm here to learn about cooking and share what I can. Respectfully, I'm not interested in pets or cars.

If unhappy with people lurking and not contributing then limit what Lurkers can see without joining. If you're a non posting member, be sent back to lurker status as a "dead head" and wait for a confirmation of new membership.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:54:25 PM by Queball »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2017, 05:02:58 PM »

Another perfect example of why I do not want to do it!  So I say you can enter if you have X amount of posts?  You will see a lot of...Welcome to the Site posts...

Not unhappy with lurkers, or even not contributing, but you can see everything without becoming a Members, so if you just want to just read why join?  I guess it is not as much a peeve as it is a Scratching my head...

What ticked me off was the fact that people won some fabulous equipment and never posted one photo of one cook. For the manufacturer, how disappointing and for the winners, how thoughtless!

If unhappy with people lurking and not contributing then limit what Lurkers can see without joining.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 05:05:35 PM by Bentley »

Queball

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2017, 05:17:56 PM »

"Another perfect example" ... of why you should just do what YOU WANT Bentley.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2017, 05:32:10 PM »

Always will when it comes to this site!

Queball

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2017, 05:36:42 PM »

Good for you!

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2017, 10:16:50 PM »

"Another perfect example" ... of why you should just do what YOU WANT Bentley.

I agree!!

And I forgot Bobitis and Canadian John. Sorry!!
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; Woodwind Pro 24 with Sidekick Sear and griddle top

ShireSteve

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2017, 08:15:51 AM »

Bentley, firstly love this site.
On the issue of lurking, I'm an Aussie learning as much as I can about the new found way of preparing food on my GMG DB. I have been turned off many sites by the stick burning chest beater types. Found a pellet site that ticks the boxes.
When I have something worthy of contributing I will post up with pride. Until then I hope that learning is not misconstrued as lurking....

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2017, 01:23:56 PM »

I don't mind folks "lurking" and I don't think Bent does either.  I think he gets a little confused about why folks who mainly just want to read and learn bother to sign up since they can read everything except the competition board as a guest.

I just want "lurkers" to not think that they don't have something to contribute.  Post a picture of your pit and ask other what they are cooking on.  Show us your first cook -- good, bad, in between.  Post a favorite recipe.  Review a sauce or a rub -- don't have to be a pellet expert to do that!  You can contribute in a lot of ways and I want "lurkers" to feel comfortable doing that.i
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up