Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Salt box bacon  (Read 1944 times)

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
Re: Salt box bacon
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 05:41:44 PM »

For those that have not cured meats...

Prague #1 --->  aka -  Insta Cure #1, Morton Tender Quick, or Sodium Nitrite (NOT Nitrate)
Morton Tender Quick is probably most common, but all are available online.

Tender Quick contains both nitrites and nitrates. Also per their website they don't recommend it for curing bacon.

i used it one time and stopped because it was way to salty for my tastes.
FE PG 1000

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 05:44:52 PM »

Big difference between #1 cure and TQ though.  TQ is 0.5% and #1 is 6.5%.  You need to make sure you use the amounts indicated for each when using!

Prague #1 --->  aka -  Insta Cure #1, Morton Tender Quick, or Sodium Nitrite (NOT Nitrate)
I am very careful with the Prague powder. Always have been and never had any issues.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 06:00:12 PM »

Big difference between #1 cure and TQ though.  TQ is 0.5% and #1 is 6.5%.  You need to make sure you use the amounts indicated for each when using!

Correct, you have to read the directions.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 07:33:47 PM »

Once my brother was diagnosed with colon cancer in March/April 2019, I quit putting the cure in the jerky.  We smoke it, dehydrate it, and then vac seal and freeze.  I didn't see a need for the cure any longer with there being risk to his future health eating that stuff (and probably mine and others too).
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 07:38:02 PM »

Sometimes we use that prague #1 when we make jerky
From everything I have read, #1 for smoked meat and #2 for cured, no heat. Probably not explaining it correctly but think #2 for ground meats like a dried salami etc.

I have never done slab bacon. never saw bellies, and the butcher shops would usually make their own bacon.

Do the Americanized version of Canadian Style bacon often using loins or tenderloins, and buckboard using butts. I like to cure the butt end from the loin and make a nice little ham from it. Most of those items get Tenderquick, I use Cure 1 in jerky, beef sticks and when I brine butts for pulled ham.

Cure 1 is for items to be cooked, and I have done some dry cured uncooked snack sticks using Cure 1. Cure 2 is for long term dry curing, as it takes time for the nitrites or nitrates to break down or convert to the other. I will cut the Coppa out of butts and cure and make Lonza out of loins. Would like to make some prosciutto, but I don't have a chamber.

I may have to start looking more or asking the little market I get meat from if they can order me some bellies in.

Can't wait to see the finished product, be better if I could taste it.

One of the great things about this community is the variety of items and the knowledge here.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2020, 09:02:41 PM »

So X amount of belly requires Y & Z amounts of salt and cure, I get that.  Did you find that by the time you got to the last piece all the "rub" was gone?  I guess I do not completely understand the principle and ratios if there is any left over.

With salt box you measure the ingredients and as the picture shows just basically dredge them and make sure they are covered on all sides, then knock off the excess.
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Peterwoody

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2020, 09:30:19 PM »

Bentley, I share your thought. If I am curing 6 pieces of meat, I measure out 6 different lots of cure, salt et al based on the individual weights of the meat pieces. I rub the meat and pack it and any loose cure mixture in top a zip lock bag.
Peter GMG Davey Crockett

yorkdude

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 05:41:34 AM »

So X amount of belly requires Y & Z amounts of salt and cure, I get that.  Did you find that by the time you got to the last piece all the "rub" was gone?  I guess I do not completely understand the principle and ratios if there is any left over.

With salt box you measure the ingredients and as the picture shows just basically dredge them and make sure they are covered on all sides, then knock off the excess.
There is rub left over (probably less than 1/4) I have only a guess here though. I tend to believe that is why we end up with pretty much the amount of saltiness we like although this is only a guess also. I am safe in saying that we have done easily 200-300#’s this way with no problems. We have given plenty away as well and again no worries. We just take the pan and the extra cure on a trip to the garbage can.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:25:59 AM by yorkdude »

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 08:45:31 AM »

trying to understand. you are weighing all pieces and mixing up your proportions on total weight instead of doing like the others and weighing and mixing up per piece. They also mention putting the leftover in the bag when they mix per piece and you basically just throw it out.

yorkdude

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2020, 08:47:36 AM »

trying to understand. you are weighing all pieces and mixing up your proportions on total weight instead of doing like the others and weighing and mixing up per piece. They also mention putting the leftover in the bag when they mix per piece and you basically just throw it out.
Exactly what I do but what doesn’t stick is thrown away.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 08:49:12 AM by yorkdude »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2020, 09:38:26 AM »

Thanks for the explanation!

yorkdude

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2020, 10:16:31 AM »

Thanks for the explanation!
Sorry about being vague. We learned about this method after having great smoked bacon but for the most part just came out too salty (although admittedly we like salty) but it was all over the map sometimes. We make our own and have for several years. When we do run out of ours and buy store bought we are immediately reminded how much we don’t prefer it. Our problem is we are always giving it away and the circle of people asking for it increases. Started out as”try our bacon “ and just kinda went from there. Biggest thing we notice is how pronounced the pork flavor is and how it just cooks better because it almost lays flat as opposed to curling up ridiculously. If it is ready (which I believe it will be) Sunday morning is the day. On a different note, I am planning on our Christmas dry aged rib roast. Thinking about pushing it further than we ever have with regard to the time.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2020, 11:58:48 AM »

Once my brother was diagnosed with colon cancer in March/April 2019, I quit putting the cure in the jerky.  We smoke it, dehydrate it, and then vac seal and freeze.  I didn't see a need for the cure any longer with there being risk to his future health eating that stuff (and probably mine and others too).

I use the Cure #1 when making Jerky, dehydrate by low temp smoking, vac-seal and freeze similar to what you do.
I keep looking at your statement about the health risk with all three eyes and am unsure if there is a risk.
You are right, probably don't need it since it is frozen right away and when a package is opened it doesn't last that long.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do the Americanized version of Canadian Style bacon often using loins or tenderloins

I may have to start looking more or asking the little market I get meat from if they can order me some bellies in.

Yes, I use the Pork Loin when I make Canadian Bacon.

Costco sells Pork Bellies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our problem is we are always giving it away and the circle of people asking for it increases. Started out as”try our bacon “ and just kinda went from there.

I have a solution for you... Start charging, then the requests will dwindle.  ;D

I will have to give this a try at least once.
Thanks for the information YorkDude.   :clap:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 12:04:26 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

yorkdude

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2020, 10:57:02 AM »

One third of it in @175 and right on the hour mark in the 1st pic.
Rotated top to bottom, front to back on the 2nd pic. at the 2 hour mark.
Rotation again and 3 hours in is the 3rd pic.
Rotation blah, blah. 4 hours in 4th pic.
Skipped the 5 hour but last pic is 6 hours and it sure smells good.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 03:39:09 PM by yorkdude »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2020, 01:35:12 PM »

The smaller pieces, are they cut down to that size for any particular reason!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up