Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boneless Prime Rib Roast Help  (Read 534 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Boneless Prime Rib Roast Help
« on: October 10, 2024, 11:55:54 AM »

I bought a 13# boneless prime rib roast yesterday and plan to serve it to visiting family on Sunday. It's been a while since I've done one so I'm going to need a little help. First of all, what OTC rub do you recommend? My initial thought is to season and smoke low and slow to an IT of 120° then cool for an hour or so and move to a 500° oven (my smoker does not get hot enough to sear, 350° max) to sear until IT of 130°, it should coast up to IT of ~135°.  Should I inject it, and if so with what? I cut the roast in half and will only do 6.6 lbs. suggestions and/or critique of my plan would be appreciated.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Boneless Prime Rib Roast Help
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2024, 12:56:10 PM »

You may want to consider dehydrated onion soup mix. Completely cover the roast and cook as usual.. Adds flavour & helps develop a light crust..

The dehydrated or dry mix can be purchased or homemade. Lots of info on line.

Enjoy that P R - so good.

hughver

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2024, 12:59:01 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds interesting. To make this surf and turf, I'm going to try and prepare bacon wrapped scallops. Anybody have a good recipe or process? I've Googled the subject and have some ideas. I like the bacon crisp, and the scallops seared but not over cooked.

i
« Last Edit: October 10, 2024, 01:08:02 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2024, 03:30:17 PM »

There may be helpful posts on this site.

Sleeves.jones posted a recipe here.

And Ross77 posted here.

There may be others.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2024, 03:32:07 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

hughver

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2024, 05:17:54 PM »

Thanks Paul, both post were helpful. I'll probably modify my plan a bit. Pre-pellet grill, I always seared my roast prior to cooking and they turned out very good. I think that I still have a 14" cast iron skillet that should do the job.

NorCal Smoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2024, 07:18:44 PM »

Hughver,
I only do one of these every new years eve or new years day. Always tied with college football!

That said, I am different than most, if not all people. I dont sear or reverse sear. I have a discussion with my brother every year because he thinks I am an idiot!  I don't care about the bark on prime rib, I want the edge to edge meat to be the same. So use that as a background to my post.

For a BONELESS rib roast, I always tie with butchers twine as tight as possible to make as round as possible. The more round it is, the more even it will cook edge to edge. I season with any steak rub, but I always add dried rosemary and thyme. Fresh herbs ends up bitter. I smoke at 250F until 130F. As you mention, it raises to 135-137F after rest.

I let rest for at least 30 minutes, then slice. If you have attendees that like more well done, you can do the following. After resting and you start to slice, place pieces in a pie tin with au just and put back into your 500F oven for 1-2 min and flip and cook for 1-2 minutes more. It will end up MW. That is how my wife likes it so I do this every year.

I have added a couple of pre and post cook pictures. It looks like I used Montreal Steak seasoning on this one with rosemary and thyme. Notice how tight I pull the twine to make  it round.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2024, 01:09:45 PM »

I do not think you can do better then Montreal Steak Seasoning for a Rib Roast, checks all the boxed for herbs for beef!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...
Pages: [1]   Go Up