Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Turkey Time is getting close  (Read 1680 times)

Polekitty

• Using less gas.
Turkey Time is getting close
« on: October 15, 2017, 03:21:17 PM »

Thanksgiving is closing in and I haven't seen any tips on how to smoke turkeys. I would like to start practicing before I go for the big one on a pellet smoker. Anyone want to share their way tips? I did see a spatchcock turkey but I ruined two chickens trying that so I'm not sure if I want to go down that road again.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Turkey Time is getting close
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 04:50:03 PM »

I cook it in my pit just like oven.  Usually 325° for 4-5 hours...and I think it comes out great.  48 hour brine in a 3% solution!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

RichW

• Using less gas.
  • St. Louis, MO
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 10:20:11 PM »

I've done 3 birds in the last year and they all have came out great.  I only buy fresh birds and have skipped brining or cavity stuffing with apples or citrus on two of these and they still were great.  Most fresh birds are injected at time of packing with some percentage of salt, or salt and fat.  I use fresh because much of our leftovers go to the freezer and if you only freeze once a lot more moisture stays in the poultry.  I guess what ever flavor of rub if any might be carried into the flesh if it is under the skin, and that leaves it open for individual preference.  Smoke at 180 deg. for 2 to 3 hours and finish at 325 deg. until it reaches the 175+ mark through out.  I then foil for 30 to 60 min. before devouring.  I also "do not" warm to room temp; straight from fridge to the smoke.
Smokin Bros Premium 24

TLK

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 06:44:58 AM »

Spatchcock is the way to go. Cooks evenly and faster. I either brine mine for a day (honey brine) or sometimes I’ll inject it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

+1
YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

wyd

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 11:04:30 AM »

Spatchcock is the way to go. Cooks evenly and faster. I either brine mine for a day (honey brine) or sometimes I’ll inject it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I did my last Turkey doing the Spatchcock method and it cut at least an hour off my grill time and it turned out great.
Louisiana Pellet LG900 Weber Platinum Kettle

GregW

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 09:44:22 PM »

Can I ask what wood type you are smoking with?
I have used hickory for most cooks, but I'm wondering if turkey might be better with something else.
I'm thinking maybe 100% pecan or 100% cherry and maybe 100% maple

Anyone tried these or perhaps a combination?

For the record, I'm very nervous about the Thanksgiving turkey. I wonder if the safe bet cooking wise would be spatchcock?

I plan to cook on the FEC 120 if it will be good for the turkey.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 04:47:03 PM »

>I did see a spatchcock turkey but I ruined two chickens trying that so I'm not sure if I want to go down that road again.

Care to elaborate on how spatchcocking ruined the chicken?  Maybe we can figure out what went wrong and help you to avoid the problem in the future.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 10:33:20 PM »

I used to like Pecan, but hard for me to get, so it usually a Cherry/Apple combo now days.

Can I ask what wood type you are smoking with?
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

bproffer

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 05:22:46 PM »

I think I am just going to smoke turkey breasts this year. problem is I cant find any whole breasts that haven't been pre-brined or injected with 16-20% turkey broth or salt solution. Smoked turkey breast is one of my all time favorites but it is sure hard to find any to smoke outside the holiday season.

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 06:05:17 PM »

Thanksgiving is closing in and I haven't seen any tips on how to smoke turkeys. I would like to start practicing before I go for the big one on a pellet smoker. Anyone want to share their way tips? I did see a spatchcock turkey but I ruined two chickens trying that so I'm not sure if I want to go down that road again.

I used Meatheads method at amazing ribs.  It complicated but wow it's the best way.  Even if you don't do it that way there is a ton of good info on that site. 
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »

I follow Alton Browns cooking times/temps.  Start at high temp (500*) for 15-20 minutes, then drop to 350*.  I haven't spatchcocked yet but am thinking about it.  I always brine for 48 hrs.  I also like to cure and slow smoke a bird, but not for the meal, the skin is usually rubbery but I remove it anyway.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:09:04 PM by GrillinGlen »
2011 SS Memphis Pro

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 02:14:35 PM »

Last year I did a 23 pound turkey and it turned out great.  But we had way to much turkey for just two of us.  Winn Dixie had a great sale on them. 

This year I plan on just doing a turkey breast.  I am hoping I can find one that is not full of solution or even a fresh one.  I looked yesterday and every brand I looked at had 18+% of solution.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Polekitty

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 12:45:13 PM »

Bregent,
I cooked two chickens using the spatchcock method. Smoked both @ 225 degrees until they hit 165 degrees in the breasts. The skin was so tough I could have patched a tire with it. The legs and thighs hadn't cooked completely so they were trash. The breasts were just ok. I don't remember what rub I used, I think it was an all purpose type. I want to smoke a turkey this year, but just not sure how. There are some good replies here and the large chicken that gtsum2 posted pics of look good. Bentley mentions doing just like it would be done in the oven and that sounds good. I can use the smoke tube to get the smoke I need or maybe smoke at lower temp for about an hour and then kick it up to 325 for the remaining time. My CC DLX smokes really heavy on the high smoke setting. Then someone mentioned what type of wood and that got me to thinking about that. I have Cherry, Apple, Hickory, Mesquite and a MHC blend,. I want to try one this coming weekend to practice and maybe one more before the real deal. We always have the family over so it needs to be right.       

Mudflap

• Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 12:57:02 PM »

The skin was so tough I could have patched a tire with it. The legs and thighs hadn't cooked completely so they were trash.     

Higher temp to start should help with skin I think. You said legs and thighs did not cook. Did you check temp of them before pulling? I find chicken cooked on pellet pit my look under cooked (pink) but one should always check temp before pulling from grill. I have found it may look under cooked but is up or even past temp on legs and thighs when breast is done.

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

Polekitty

• Using less gas.
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 01:53:59 PM »

No mudflap I didn't. I think I read somewhere that cooking the chicken until the breasts got to 160 or 165, it would be done. I didn't even think about rest of the chicken where the bones are and now I know takes longer to cook.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up