Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Reverse Sear...is it Worth Doin'?  (Read 4188 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Reverse Sear...is it Worth Doin'?
« on: October 30, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »

So I smoke a steak for a while until it's almost done.  I don't think the smoke flavor penetrated very far, if at all (a marinade penetrates only about 3/16 of an inch after hours of soaking).

Then I sear it to finish for a Maillard reaction brown or possibly char.  Did any of that smoke flavor survive the searing?

Your thoughts?

Has anyone blind taste-tested a reverse sear against just grilling over a direct zone or any other method?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Reverse Sear...is it Worth Doin'?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 12:11:37 PM »

I've never done a blind taste test but I have prepared steaks both ways and, IMO, the seared steak had a better flavor. The problem with searing is that the final result, IT, is less predictable and the chance of over cooking is greater.  :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 12:27:52 PM »

I would think the meat should be from the same cut for a more true test..

As smoke takes time to penetrate the meat I would think the taste differences would be negligible on a steak unless it were several inches thick.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 12:30:00 PM »

I like the reverse sear mainly for the control. You can almost get edge to edge doneness like sous vide without messing with the water or the bags. I don't think it tastes all that differently, but it is better presentation and easier to manage large batches in my opinion.

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »

Depends solely on the thickness of the meat.  2" ribeye doesn't do real well with direct sear.   Needs a little baking at first.  Also low and slow gives it an opportunity to pick up a little extra smoke.  :cool:  JMHO
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

TLK

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 12:34:43 PM »

Have never done a blind taste test but I prefer reverse sear. 
YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »

I've never done a blind taste test but I have prepared steaks both ways and, IMO, the seared steak had a better flavor. The problem with searing is that the final result, IT, is less predictable and the chance of over cooking is greater.  :2cents:

The better flavor may have been generated by the sear.  Was there any smoke flavor left or did the sear burn it off?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 12:36:18 PM »

Have never done a blind taste test but I prefer reverse sear.

How about sear cooking without first smoking?  Have you tried that?
Paul

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 01:16:53 PM »

The better flavor may have been generated by the sear.  Was there any smoke flavor left or did the sear burn it off?

I was an advocate of reverse sear long before I discovered pellet smoking. When I reverse sear a smoked steak , to me, there was a definite smoky component.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

dk117

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 01:47:32 PM »

I like the reverse sear mainly for the control. You can almost get edge to edge doneness like sous vide without messing with the water or the bags. I don't think it tastes all that differently, but it is better presentation and easier to manage large batches in my opinion.

+1

I do see a smoke ring on a larger piece of meat like a tri tip, but it's really the control to get right where I want to on IT that makes it worth doin'.

DK

lamrith

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 01:51:33 PM »

IMHO totally worth doing.  I always reverse sear now.  We could never cook steaks before, always had issues with doneness and flavor.  Once I got a pellet grill and reverse seared, been no looking back.  We did some 1.5"+ thick NY steaks Sat, simply awesome.  I might be able to do just high heat sear till done now that I have cooked more steaks.  But the slow smoking definitely makes a difference in tenderness and flavor for us, plus the smoke ring as mentioned by DK.

If you do not think you are noticing a difference here is an experiment for you.  Put the steaks in your oven at the same temp you smoke at and cook just as if smoking, then do your searing as usual and see what you think.  Ultimate true taste test would be to do half smoked, half baked and then have a side by side taste test.  Some people just do not pickup the subtle smoke flavor, others do.

You can also try using different woods, and use a 100% pure single flavor wood, 100% hickory, 100% mesquite, etc which can make a more distinct flavor than blends do.

Here is what I do when I reverse sear:
I know some people say you should never flip more than once, I have always flipped numerous times to let the high heat work both sides evenly thru the cook. The times here are what usually work for us, the temp of your grill will have a significant affect on sear time.  The last 2 min often gets cut short on my cooks, I am watching temp closely to hit desired temp for my guests.  Some like 140, some like more done.  The set this weekend spiked in last 2 min and went into upper 150's.  They had just a faint glimmer of pink left so overdone a bit by most standards, but very juicey still and super tender.

Pull steaks out of fridge and coat with rub of choice, 
Let the steaks sit out with while I set my rectec to 180* xtreme smoke and let it come to temp.
Then on they go and stay in smoke until they reach ~100*IT, I use a tappeque to monitor.
Pull them off, cover with foil while Rectec climbs to max temp.
I have grill grates for searing and On they go for:
  • 2min
  • then flip
  • 2min
  • flip and rotate 45-90* to get crossed sear marks.
  • 2min
  • flip and rotate 45-90* again.
  • 2min
DONE!  We have tried letting them sit and not.  We all prefer them super hot fresh off the grill in my house so they only sit long enough for people to dish up whatever else they are planning to have with dinner.

DE

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 01:56:47 PM »

This is a copy and Paste on how Fast Eddy cooks his Steaks and Tators...on a FE Pellet Grill.
Thanks Ed, I took good notes (via copy and Paste of course)

Re: Let's see a step by step guide to cooking a Steak on the Fast Eddy Grill!  FAST EDDY
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:31:16 PM »   

OK here is my Typical steak dinner

First I like baked potatoes with my steaks so I go out and turn the grill on at 400 and put potatoes on the top rack right side. I run them for about 40min. Then I go and turn the unit to 200. I normally cook a 1 inch thick ribeye. I put the steaks on the botton right for 20min. Then I'll go out and turn the unit to 550. I do not open the lid. I wait for 4 min then I open it up and put the steaks right over the fire on the "charbroiler" for 2 min a side. Go get a plate and your ready to eat a nice med cooked ribeye. If I have someone who wants a more well done steak then it goes back to the indirect to finish. If it is a strip cut, you'll most likely need to go back indirect because of the density of that muscle seems to cook longer for the same doneness. I don't wrap my potatoes either. Just wash em and throw them on.
Doug//PG1000  SI4D   EXPEDITION GRIDDLE  FIREBOARD  THERMOPEN   BLACKSTONE 22  A BRISKITARIAN!

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 03:33:13 PM »

I've eaten them smoked low and slow to the preferred IT and done them smoked to just below the preferred IT and then reverse seared.  I always think the reverse sear tastes better and so do the girls.  Can't tell you why, it's just how I prefer them.  Seems like I remember reading the science behind it on PH, but I've slept since then and could be wrong.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; Woodwind Pro 24 with Sidekick Sear and griddle top

Osborn Cox

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 03:38:01 PM »

To me the results are so far superior when doing a reverse sear that I’m surprised it’s being debated.     I definitely get great smoky flavor and am able to cook them to a perfect medium rare.  I agree as others have stated the main benefit of the reverse sear is control of the finished temperature, the smoky flavor is just a bonus.
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 09:23:50 AM »

Have reverse seared on steaks 1" thick and everything in between up to full Prime Rib. Once you get it down it produces great results. 
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up