Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Screw Productions Presents-Bent's Sous Vide...  (Read 5238 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Cheap Screw Productions Presents-Bent's Sous Vide...
« on: January 27, 2018, 08:20:36 PM »

So, $150-$200 is a ridicules amount of money for a Cheap Screw to pay for a small water heater with a fan...so, I am going to try and Sous vide this piece of meat with my Crock pot.

I know this crock pot is a stable 170°f on low and a stable 140°f on warm.  You are correct, there will be no circulation, but I also would hate to spend said $150 and be disappointed!  So, 140° is about 15° higher the I would pull my grilled steaks at...but they also usually carry over to about 133°, which is a perfect medium-rare for me.  This will be right between medium-rare and medium, so I can live with that for a 1st attempt.  I am going to keep it in for 2 hours, then pan sear.

Stay Tuned...

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Cheap Screw Productions Presents-Bent's Sous Vide...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 08:28:40 PM »

Bent.... No disrespect.. but you spend money for a dryer system on your air compressor that is totally not needed and a waste of money for your application, but won't spend a $100 on a SV unit?  You remind me of my dad, long gone, that would buy something not needed, and then try to fix a $7.00 throttle cable because it's too expensive.  Lol

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 08:29:03 PM »

Will see.  I don't even remember the cut, I think some type of round.  Maybe it said London Broil, bad research on the meat.  Everyone raves how tender this process makes beef.  Maybe that is 48 hours instead of 2, but not sure how that would work as it will never be over 140°.  We see what I think in 2 hours!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 08:31:12 PM »

None taken...I would have liked your dad!

Big difference between a $7 drying filter for my compressor and a $100 cooking instrument.  And I have a feeling when the RH is 80% here in the summer, that filter maybe important!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:11:04 PM by Bentley »

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 08:32:54 PM »

Jumping the gun based on the fact the other hasn't happened yet, but that would be a good one to pool some money and review. People seem to be curious like you, so probably would pitch in 5 bucks.

Target had Anova for sale for 99 basically the whole Xmas season. Almost pulled the trigger, but didn't since I already returned one Anova. I do get the itch to play with it again from time to time.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 08:35:57 PM »

This will be fun to watch...great entertainment value too.  Maybe you could have hooked up the tappacue inside the walls of the crock pot ;D
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 08:43:56 PM »

I must now know why, just cuz I am curious if it is a reason why I think I would not want one...and it has nothing to do with price.

Wow where were you with the Tappecue idea 2 hours ago!  That would have been sweet.  Let me go see!

Almost pulled the trigger, but didn't since I already returned one Anova. I do get the itch to play with it again from time to time.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 08:55:06 PM »

It is hooked up, not sure anyone wants to see it, it is a probe on the left and right.  Lid is kind of open, so if the temps drop to much I will have to take them out.  If anyone does have the Tappecue app on their phone or device, would you mind letting me know if it comes through?  I am getting a green and red light and I ws under the impression that if there was ever red, it is not connected, yet when I go to Tappecue.net and sign in I see it.

I think the login is PelletFanII and the password is pelletfanguest...thanks if anyone has the time...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:05:32 PM by Bentley »

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 08:58:49 PM »

I must now know why, just cuz I am curious if it is a reason why I think I would not want one...and it has nothing to do with price.

Wow where were you with the Tappecue idea 2 hours ago!  That would have been sweet.  Let me go see!

Almost pulled the trigger, but didn't since I already returned one Anova. I do get the itch to play with it again from time to time.

It's funny, I would definitely recommend the product to most. I've told many people about them, who then look into it. It was fantastic for many things,  and yes I would say magical on a tough steak. I turned a 5 dollar Chuck eye steak into a fork tender piece of meat that resembled a cross between a ribeye and filet.

For me, I missed the cooking process. Sealing something in a bag, dropping in water, waiting,  then searing for 1 minute was not all that satisfying.

Between filling the water bucket, sealing the bag, heating the water up, then dumping the nasty bag juice the "work" part of the cook was more like a science experiment than creating a meal. I like the "work" part to be sauteing, cooking some wine off, bringing to a simmer,  then filling the house with wonderful aromas.

For all the negative though if I cooked more steaks or anything that sous vide excels at I would have definately kept it. I just didn't really see myself dragging it out much based on what and how I typically cook. I was glad I tried it, so I knew what I was or wasn't missing.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 09:06:48 PM »

Not what I thought, but thank you for taking the time to tell me!

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 09:14:19 PM »

Not what I thought, but thank you for taking the time to tell me!

What was your reason you thought of?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 09:16:49 PM »

Just a pain to set up, bag, get water out, finish, put away...next time have to get out, set up...Why I have not used my deep fryer in 6 months...

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 09:22:43 PM »

Well, bent... I'll watch this experiment just like it was my dad doing it. Bringing back a lot of great memories.  And some frustrating ones. LMAO. 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 09:26:06 PM »

It is fairly silly cooking, but who knows, I may rename the site Sous Vide Fan...

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 09:32:09 PM »

For all the negative though if I cooked more steaks or anything that sous vide excels at I would have definately kept it. I just didn't really see myself dragging it out much based on what and how I typically cook. I was glad I tried it, so I knew what I was or wasn't missing.

SV excels at cooking vegetables.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up