Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Screw Productions Presents-Bent's Sous Vide...  (Read 5239 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Cheap Screw Productions Presents-Bent's Sous Vide...
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2018, 09:13:26 PM »

I wonder if I will be able to use my camp chef griddle to sear.

I think so.  You only need 350° to brown it and get the Malliard reaction flavors.  Slightly hotter will char it if that's your goal.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2018, 09:23:40 PM »

Not cheap... but has anyone ever done something like this in one of those Insta Pot things?   will they hold a temperature evenly over a long period of time like that?

The newer and more expensive models now include more precise and adjustable temperature settings to allow you to SV. However, the chamber is small and there is no circulation pump, but it's still probably good for many items.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2018, 09:48:36 PM »

would you recommend a 12, 18, or 22 quart container to cook in?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2018, 11:30:11 PM »

Most things for every day use will fit in a 12 Qt. I have 12 and 18 Qt. plus a modified cooler for brisket and ribs.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2018, 08:23:25 AM »

would you recommend a 12, 18, or 22 quart container to cook in?

A couple of steaks in an 8-quart "thing" I bought at a restaurant supply store.  My only other SV tub is a plastic storage container.  It's sometimes too large for the items I'm cooking but the Anova stores in it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2018, 08:31:47 AM »

Most things for every day use will fit in a 12 Qt. I have 12 and 18 Qt. plus a modified cooler for brisket and ribs.

Would the 22qt be overkill?  It is only a few $ more than the 18qt.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2018, 08:58:54 AM »

Would the 22qt be overkill?  It is only a few $ more than the 18qt.

I have an Anova I just purchased from Amazon. I have not used it yet. The 900W unit is rated for 5.5 gallons (22 qt). The 800W unit is rated for 5 gallons (20 qt). That said, the size of the vessel is somewhat dependent on the heat rating of the sous vide heater thing... I would think both units would have no problem keeping larger volumes of water up to a lower temperature but would have trouble getting to max temperature. An insulated vessel would help too.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2018, 09:32:58 AM »

If I buy one, I think I will go with the 22qt (don't have to fill it all the way up to my knowledge) and get a lid with a hole for the sous vide machine to slide in.

slaga

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2018, 10:44:08 AM »

If I buy one, I think I will go with the 22qt (don't have to fill it all the way up to my knowledge) and get a lid with a hole for the sous vide machine to slide in.
True, but the top of the water has to be no more than roughly 4.25" from the top of the vessel for my Anova to work. Any more and the Anova does not drop down far enough into the water to work properly. Even at that you will have to account for some evaporation on longer cooks. I am concerned with the shape of the container. If I am choosing something other than my stock pot I already have, I want a wider/longer container as opposed to a taller container. I am unsure which containers you are looking at specifically, but I am looking at something like the 26 QT IPAVI Sous Vide Container Model C20 which is 12.8W x 21L x 8H Inch, or the 18 QT LIPAVI Sous Vide Container - Model C15 which is 17.6L x 11.5W x 8H inches. Lids can also be purchased to fit different sous vide heaters.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:57:22 AM by slaga »
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2018, 10:54:44 AM »

I will look into those.  I have a few containers like that already and may just need a lid with the cutout.  Thanks for sharing the information.

I have just been looking at rubbermaid containers on Amazon for sous vide.  They are all the same square shape and just go taller to get the larger capacity.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:57:52 AM by Bar-B-Lew »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2018, 11:16:58 AM »

I learn something from you members every day.  I've been cooking SV for a few years and I didn't know that anyone is making special purpose SV containers.  I've just been buying "things" and trimming the lids.

Paul

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2018, 11:24:13 AM »

Glad the potential new guys on this subject can help the experienced folks.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2018, 11:35:40 AM »

I learn something from you members every day.  I've been cooking SV for a few years and I didn't know that anyone is making special purpose SV containers.  I've just been buying "things" and trimming the lids.

I too made my own when I first started sous vide a couple of years ago. The DIY version is a heck of a lot cheaper and works well for keeping moisture in. However the new store bought SV covers are more rigid and have a hinged lid that allows you to add or remove objects without having to disassemble everything.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2018, 11:40:10 AM »

Do you experienced folks you clips to hold the bags to the side of the container or do you just let them fully submerge?

slaga

« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2018, 12:05:39 PM »

Do you experienced folks you clips to hold the bags to the side of the container or do you just let them fully submerge?
I am not experienced but the point is to have water surround the food. The food should not sit on the bottom of the vessel unless you have some grate that would keep it suspended from the bottom. I have some grates I use to bake bacon in the oven. I plan to set one on the bottom of the tub to keep the food off of the bottom.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up