Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone ever use brisket for jerky?  (Read 780 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Anyone ever use brisket for jerky?
« on: May 21, 2018, 08:22:37 PM »

I live close to a Grodons food, they seem to have briskets for 2.89# a lot of times. I had thought about trying one for jerky. Figured I would ask here because I am sure someone has tried it.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Anyone ever use brisket for jerky?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 08:23:55 PM »

Never.  I think it is probably too fatty.  Give it a try and let us know.

This weekend I am doing beef tenderloin, london broil, and eye of round and some pork loin too.  Oh, and venison.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 09:16:43 PM »

There is a jerky book by Taylor Boetticher and Toponia Miller of The Fatted Calf where they mainly use brisket. They make a pretty strong case for it, but I haven't tried it yet. Probably will soon.

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 09:46:56 PM »

Pork loin, cheap and great.
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 05:17:43 AM »

We have several times although not very recently. It does make good jerky but lots of trimming.

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 11:43:18 AM »

Way back when brisket was actually cheap...  I used to use trimmed brisket flats. It was pretty good, but I can't get a good trimmed brisket flat for under $6/lb these days so I don't do that...

By the time you trim off all the fat from a packer brisket, the price per pound is going to go up toward $6 a pound I think...  Now, you could potentially cut off most of the flat, trim off the rest of the fat from that flat, and then cook the remaining point and/or the thickest part of the flat as a brisket... and maybe then the pricing would be reasonable.

I personally have been buying packages of flank steak from Gordon's Food, they sell them for about $3.50/lb or something like that.   I marinate a couple hunks to make steak Fajitas , and then use the rest to make Jerky with.   With flank, there isn't too much fat to begin with, and if you cut it across the grain into roughly 1/2" thick strips, it actually makes some pretty darn good jerky.

But my go to for many many years is eye of round... however that sometimes is hard to find at a decent price these days.    I slightly prefer the texture I get with the Flank steak, so for now I'm going with flank steak.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 12:01:34 PM »

the gordons near me only has 1 maybe 8 foot long meat case, that has everything in it. I have never seen flank steaks there, did get eye the other week for 2.69#

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »

Great prices.  I can't seem to get any beef below $3.25/#.  Most is between that and $4 for any "round" cuts (bottom, top, eye) when there is a sale.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 12:49:41 PM »

the gordons near me only has 1 maybe 8 foot long meat case, that has everything in it. I have never seen flank steaks there, did get eye the other week for 2.69#

I just stumbled upon them a few weeks back, the package is relatively small, like about 4" thick and 13" long, there are like 5 or 6 individual flank steaks all in the one cyrovac bag.   I usually never buy flank because I never see it for under $5.50/lb, when I saw it at the price that Gordon's had on it, I just couldn't resist trying it.   Went back a couple weeks later, they had some again...   I wonder, maybe if you ask they could get it?

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 01:41:47 PM »

I just stumbled upon them a few weeks back, the package is relatively small, like about 4" thick and 13" long, there are like 5 or 6 individual flank steaks all in the one cyrovac bag.   I usually never buy flank because I never see it for under $5.50/lb, when I saw it at the price that Gordon's had on it, I just couldn't resist trying it.   Went back a couple weeks later, they had some again...   I wonder, maybe if you ask they could get it?

what part of the country are you in? Wonder if it is a regional thing. I am in south western PA

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 01:45:04 PM »

Steelers fan?
what part of the country are you in? Wonder if it is a regional thing. I am in south western PA

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 01:51:32 PM »

I believe LSJ is in Michigan. I am in Northeast Indiana. My Gordon's often has the flank packs also. We have 2 stores here in Fort Wayne. I'm not sure why but one has remodeled, and really expanded their produce and fresh meat selections.

The other still has the small little cooler with (sometimes) brisket, ribs, chicken, pork butt, pork loin, and maybe ground beef. They are often out of almost everything. I'm not sure if the stores are ran by the same people, but the north store in our town is far superior.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:56:28 PM by Free Mr. Tony »

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 01:55:38 PM »

Just as a side note. There was a thread awhile back where I suggested that people put where they live in their profile. This is the exact sort of thread that it comes in handy.

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »

Yup, I'm in southeastern Michigan.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 04:07:59 PM »

[/quote]

Steelers fan?
[/quote]
[/quote]

Not really a sports guy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up