Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by grilltreats on 30 May 2018
  • Interesting... I was told they were working on a way to update the controller, no mention of having ones that already had the feature.

Just my wishful hopes.  I am not holding my breath on this one bit, but is how I would like it to go down for the best RT experience.  I did get another shipping update this morning for some reason.  It said awaiting shipment just like the last update on the 24th.
  • #17 by grilltreats on 31 May 2018
  • Got the shipped notification yesterday so the Bull is on the move.  Watch out!
  • #18 by Ralphie on 31 May 2018
  • Great news Grilltreats!  Where do you live?
  • #19 by grilltreats on 31 May 2018

Nashville
  • #20 by grilltreats on 31 May 2018

Nashville

Just received the call from the carrier and the delivery is set for tomorrow midday.  That was fast!
  • #21 by DialTone301 on 02 Jun 2018
  • New controller is installed.  I will give it a try later today.
  • #22 by DialTone301 on 02 Jun 2018
  • Adjusted probes to be identical last night using a glass of ice water.  One probe needed a -9 degree adjustment and didn't want to hold a steady temp. 

Today i put a pork loin on and inserted both probes to see how they compare.  Once again i 
    am seeing almost a 100 degree difference between the 2.  The one probe is obviously bad....to late to call support so i will have to talk to them Monday.
  • #23 by Ross77 on 02 Jun 2018
  • So you can adjust the probe offset?  How does it know which is which?  Or is it adjusting the probe port?
  • #24 by DialTone301 on 02 Jun 2018
  • With the new controller you can adjust the probe offset.  I assume you are really adjusting the port....so i have marked mine so that i always use the same one in each port.
  • #25 by Spartan Smoker on 04 Jun 2018
  • I had this issue the first couple of cooks and although it seems like i shouldn't have to, i just bought an external probe.  I guess if i start hearing guys saying that the controller unit made a big change for them i will call.  But for now, i am not sure i want to tear mine apart and put a new one on to get the same results.

Anyone out there switch it out and get better results?  RT did offer to ship me a new one.  Very easy (also sent me a new shelf that was bent on delivery).  I told them to hold it until i was sure i was going to switch it out.

Any good experiences with the switch out is everyone getting the same inconsistent results?

Thanks...
  • #26 by DialTone301 on 04 Jun 2018
  • New probes are on the way.  I will report back once I have a chance to use them. 
  • #27 by DialTone301 on 10 Jun 2018
  • I got the new probes and have dialed in the offset.  They were both within a couple of degrees of my Thermoworks thermometer.  They both seem stable....unlike the one original. 

I feel confident that the one bad probe was my trouble all along.  I shipped the original probes and controller back to Rec Tec so they can test them.  I also included 3 pages of pictures and narrative to show them what I was experiencing. 

Rec Tec support has been great during this process.  Very polite and professional.
  • #28 by grilltreats on 10 Jun 2018
  • Glad you got the issue resolved.  My probes read 35 and 37 in the ice water test, close enough for now.  I really want the firmware that allows for probe calibrations.
Pages:
Actions