Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: September Food Challenge -- Chicken! (Discussion Thread)  (Read 3699 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
September Food Challenge -- Chicken! (Discussion Thread)
« on: September 05, 2017, 08:12:07 AM »

There seem to be a very modest interest in a monthly food challenge, so I thought we would give it a try for one month and see how it goes.  There will be two threads -- the discussion thread and the picture thread.  At the end of the month, the picture thread will be moved to the "Here's How I ...Cook Chicken" board to be enjoyed by all in perpetuity. The discussion thread will just sink into general discussion oblivion.

Rules are simple -- your submission must be chicken and some part of the process must involve a pellet pit.  After that, let your imagination run wild.  Whole chicken, pieces, tenders, nuggets, satay, kebabs, pated, in pies.  Roasted, grilled, sauced, sous vide. With sides, without sides.  Your choices are endless!!  I am sure we will have some who have professional level presentation and photo skills and then we have me with my point and shoot and ability to get even a photo crooked.  But no matter -- I intend to have fun and I hope others who join in do it in that spirit.  I am also looking forward to seeing the final results.

Obviously, you need to post at least one picture, but if you wish to post more, please do so.  You may also enter more than one entry -- who knows how many awful entries I may subject you folks to!!  Photos may be submitted from any time up to and including Sept. 30. It is not a competition, so there is no prize. It is really a place to inspire others to try something you like to cook.

Please limit comments on the photos to this thread because I would like to keep the picture thread pretty clean.  I am sure there will be numerous comments about mine ("Wow Kristin, I would never have thought someone could make chicken look more bland than it sounds. Good job").  Please also post any questions or comments about the challenge here.  I will start the picture thread in a few days.

EDIT:  Bentley felt I should post that the picture needed to be something you cooked and not a photo off the internet.  I don't think that is an issue with this group, but never bad to be belt and suspenders.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 01:28:01 PM by Kristin Meredith »

Queball

Re: September Food Challenge -- Chicken! (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 08:17:15 AM »

So .... What's the point of this thread? ..... Do you want the recipe on this thread, and the pictures on another thread that you are going to create?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 08:30:50 AM »

Recipes can go in the recipe section.  Pictures will go in another thread. If folks want to post their recipe with the picture in the recipe section they can also do that as long as they post a picture in the Challenge thread. This thread is just for comments or discussion.

Example -- you submit chicken satay.  I say  "Great entry, do you have a recipe"  You answer.  Second person says "That satay looks lovely Queball, I want to give that I try"  A third person says "What kind of sauce is on that satay" and you answer, etc.  I know folks are going to want to comment on entries and I think it could get messy to have a few photos then perhaps a lot of comments, then more photos and more comments etc. 

I don't want to preclude comments and questions, just keep them separated.  Both threads will be pinned, so easy to access.

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 01:23:58 PM »

Will there be some sort of vote at the end to see who "wins", or it's basically just a collage of a certain type of photos? If there is a vote, say I post 3 pics of the same cook. Do I then identify which is the official entry pic?

Just something to think about too. Another site that does these basically has all the pics and discussion in one thread for the month, then when it's over the mods make a new "vote" thread by pulling out just the entry pics. So you have everything leading up to the vote in one place, then a clean thread at the end with just pics. Seems to work pretty well. Not saying its better, just something to consider it you hadn't thought of it.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 01:32:03 PM »

It seemed that a lot of folks liked the idea of a challenge and posting pictures on the same meat, but not necessarily a competition with voting and a winner.  So I was going to start with a no vote, no competition challenge and see how it went.  It may eventually move towards being a competition if there is enough interest.  As with many things on the site, we are kind of feeling our way gradually.

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »

"As with many things on the site, we are kind of feeling our way gradually."

And I believe you are having way too much fun with this site Kristin.    :clap: :clap:

If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 08:27:58 PM »

Beautiful Mojito Chicken Queball. You should post the link to the recipe in the recipe section either below the dish or in this thread.  You have set a high standard, but I will post my puny (in comparison) offering next week.

TechMOGogy

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Ontario, Canada
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 09:29:32 PM »

Sounds like a fun idea to try
GMG DC, FEC100, PK360

Queball

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 09:55:52 AM »

"Dumb as dirt" here ....... How do you "post a link?"

It's not a competition ..... just an exploration into new ideas and approaches.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 10:04:28 AM by Queball »

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 06:59:14 PM »

Let's see if I did this right.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=315.0

You go to the recipe and then copy the address (I think that is what it is called) in the bar and then paste it where you want it.  Then someone can click on that link and read your recipe.  Perhaps someone with technical skills can explain that a bit better.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 07:43:07 AM by Kristin Meredith »

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 07:41:43 PM »

Looks like you did it right Kristin - yours is the simplest way to get a url into a post

If you use the url button (second button from left, second row in the post window) you can also make the post pretty like this:

Queball's Mojito Chicken Recipe
PZ

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 07:43:36 PM »

Thanks pz, don't know if I can ever do that, but yours sure is prettier than mine!!!!

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 11:17:12 PM »

Great idea. Love the pics so far, looking forward to see what the month brings. Glad you are starting with chicken. I'm doing a community dinner on the 20th and have 30 whole chickens to grill. I think I can do it in two batches. I'll post pictures if they turn out (if they don't I'll be buying a lot of KFC)!
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 07:48:12 AM »

ok pz, I'm trying not to be a dork but it isn't working.  I found the second button and push on it and little brackets came up, but I lost it from there.  I tried inserting the link in the brackets, but that did not work and somehow the whole post turned blue.

It might help you in coaching to know that I was required to take a computer programming class in college (went to a huge computer nerd college UCSD).  That was so many years ago that we learned programming with punch cards.  It was a very traumatizing experience that I have never fully recovered from. :o

Queball

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 08:32:21 AM »

PZ,

Any possibility you could post a pictural presentation, showing the monitor, so we could see step by step what we're suppose to do and where? Like Kristen I'm lost!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up