Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bentley on 02 Aug 2018
  • In my most unhumble opinion it is...a reason why I choose not to cook it at Competitions!

In my humble opinion I think chicken is the hardest meat to cook in a competition.  LOTS of factors involved in hitting it just right.
    Z
  • #17 by Trooper on 03 Aug 2018
  • Trooper- Those thighs look like perfection. What do you feel the judges did not like about them?

OK, Here's the deal on the thighs.
    They were not boneless. Just your normal everyday Smart Chicken brand thighs.

Yes I've been using mini-meatloaf pans to cook the thighs in. I picked up that idea from Techmogogy a few year back in KC at a the big comp. I feel it does shorten the cooking time a bit.

I did inject them with a chicken broth prior to putting them on the smoker.

I don't think Bentley saw me injecting them, but after eating one of the leftovers, he said that thought they tasted like chicken soup.

I actually thought he was kidding when he told me the score. But he wasn't....
  • #18 by Bentley on 03 Aug 2018
  • I don't have the pictures anymore, but I turned in a boneless, skinless grilled chicken breast at the 2012 AR Invitational, it did well, was like 26th out of 154 teams.  I had a Member of the CBBQA that had competed from California, they got hammered , showed him a picture of my chicken and his dead serious comment was good looking ribs.  I wish I had the photo as that is what they looked like.

26. Pelletheads.com - 172.5714

57. Pelletheads.com - 668.0000

You never really think about it at the time, but some of the teams we finished above were good teams.

60. Butcher BBQ - 667.9998

68. Cool Smoke - 665.7146

76. Lotta Bull BBQ - 663.4284

81. Jack's Old South - 662.2852

106. Four Men And A Pig - 653.7140

125. Motley Que Crew - 646.2852

136. Slap Yo Daddy BBQ - 641.7142

• #19 by TechMOGogy on 08 Aug 2018
  • Chicken sucks and that is why my new BBQ team name is...
    Chuck Que Ficken (think about it... :) )
    Been practicing a lot of charcoal steaks this summer as I am doing some SCA steak events this fall.
    This is what I started with
     [ Invalid Attachment ]

To get these 6
     [ Invalid Attachment ]

Looked ok but taste was way off due to a spice overload misstep on my part!

If you get a chance, get yourself to the Royal. So much fun and great memories!

• #20 by cookingjnj on 08 Aug 2018
  • Hey TMOG... great pics of your presentation of chix thighs and what you started with, also cool to see pix of the founders of this site(s) doing what they love to do.  Throw in a little Jaime, Trigg and Moe you have what was a fun time I am sure. 
  • #21 by Kristin Meredith on 09 Aug 2018
  • Not Jamie, I think it is a picture of him with Fast Eddy.

He presented some of the prettiest thighs and nicest boxes I have ever seen, but there was a lot of heat in a bite and that just does not go down well in competitions.  Judges palates are pretty bland no matter what anyone wants to say or think!
  • #22 by TechMOGogy on 10 Aug 2018
  • Forgot to post my BBQ/SCA team logo :)
    Just so you know I was serious in post above
    Haha
Pages:
Actions