Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What meats do you guys wet brine before cooking?  (Read 770 times)

BC Buck

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
What meats do you guys wet brine before cooking?
« on: December 15, 2018, 10:56:56 AM »

Tried game changer 4 hours on venison chops. Rinsed, seasoned, and quick sear in cast iron. Through on 400 degree smoker about 10 min till hit 135 internal temp. Was competition perfect. :cool:

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: What meats do you guys wet brine before cooking?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 11:29:00 AM »

Chicken Wings, Turkey
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

smokindad

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »

chunks of pork butt.  One of my favorite meals.

Marinade:  (hog wash)
    1 cup white distilled vinegar
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup apple juice
    3 tablespoons Light brown sugar
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon hot sauce (tapatio)
    1 teaspoon ground pepper
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

urnmor

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 12:18:30 PM »

I know longer wet brine my meats.  I now use a mixture of salt, pepper and paprika and rub it over the skin and under the skin on chicken and turkey. 

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 01:22:54 PM »

Turkey and chicken have been the only ones. I don’t do either anymore. Too much mess and work for the payoff for me.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 03:25:46 PM »

No more wet brining. Nice article that shows dry brining for turkey is better.  13/17 preferred dry brining over wet brining or no brining.  The next best thing I got from this article is that if you turn the heat up to 500 and put the turkey in for 30 minutes, then turn down to 350 temp for the rest of the cook, you get a nice crispy skin with moist breast meat. They pull it at 155* in the thigh (yup) and let it set for 30 minutes, which finishes the cook. Worth the read. 
 :2cents:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/dry-brined-turkey
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 03:36:59 PM by okie smokie »

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 03:58:29 PM »

No more wet brining. Nice article that shows dry brining for turkey is better.  13/17 preferred dry brining over wet brining or no brining.  The next best thing I got from this article is that if you turn the heat up to 500 and put the turkey in for 30 minutes, then turn down to 350 temp for the rest of the cook, you get a nice crispy skin with moist breast meat. They pull it at 155* in the thigh (yup) and let it set for 30 minutes, which finishes the cook. Worth the read. 
Here's why that dry brine works

Rub ¼ cup softened butter under the skin of the turkey, on the breast meat. 

I used to do that (let's be honest, it was a cup or more of butter) when I still cooked turkey in the oven.     It's a very solid option.

And hey, I'm here still learning every day.  So I'm not going to suggest I'm not open to new ideas or trying new things, but wet brine is the only way to go with turkey and chicken.   Turkey especially, it's a game changer.  I know I'm preaching to the choir here but a dry brined oven roasted turkey vs a wet brined pellet turkey ... wet and pellets win hands down.   And since when do we care about arduous cook prep?   Wet brine isn't a big deal if you have a separate fridge in the garage.

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 04:49:42 PM »

Any fowl, salmon and most sea food.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

okie smokie

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 06:53:20 PM »

Here's why that dry brine works

Rub ¼ cup softened butter under the skin of the turkey, on the breast meat. 

I used to do that (let's be honest, it was a cup or more of butter) when I still cooked turkey in the oven.     It's a very solid option.

And hey, I'm here still learning every day.  So I'm not going to suggest I'm not open to new ideas or trying new things, but wet brine is the only way to go with turkey and chicken.   Turkey especially, it's a game changer.  I know I'm preaching to the choir here but a dry brined oven roasted turkey vs a wet brined pellet turkey ... wet and pellets win hands down.   And since when do we care about arduous cook prep?   Wet brine isn't a big deal if you have a separate fridge in the garage.

DK

They did a same size turkey, each of the 3 ways, dry brine, wet brine, and no brine.  All prepped and ready to cook at the same time.
Same oven temps, same butter under the breast skin, and then served each judge one plate with 3 piles of meat both dark and white.  (a pile from each bird).  The judges did not know which was which, BUT 13/17 picked the dry brined as the best for flavor, moisture.  I am willing to give it a try based on this study.  Only variant from Pellet Fans is that these were done in an oven.  I too use the oven.  If and when I do another turkey I will report the results.  Go Sooners!

dk117

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 01:46:15 PM »

Ok I just (finally found the details) read the “study.”    Sounds compelling but I see a few problems.    First the wet brine was rather plain and simple.   Second I go 72 hours not 12 to 24.   Third as previously stated I don’t find the wet brine process cumbersome.   Fourth those finished pictures?   The top center one looks really really dry.   Like 180 IT in the oven like I did 20 years ago dry.    They finished picture lost credibility in the study for me.   I’ve seen much better finished turkey picks right here on PF.    Fifth.   I gotta give you the crisp skin point.   I’m still working on that.   Wet brine certainly doesn’t help.   

Report out your results.    Thanks for sharing the link.   I’m not yet convinced but always like to hear new procedures.

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

okie smokie

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 05:48:17 PM »

Ok I just (finally found the details) read the “study.”    Sounds compelling but I see a few problems.    First the wet brine was rather plain and simple.   Second I go 72 hours not 12 to 24.   Third as previously stated I don’t find the wet brine process cumbersome.   Fourth those finished pictures?   The top center one looks really really dry.   Like 180 IT in the oven like I did 20 years ago dry.    They finished picture lost credibility in the study for me.   I’ve seen much better finished turkey picks right here on PF.    Fifth.   I gotta give you the crisp skin point.   I’m still working on that.   Wet brine certainly doesn’t help.   

Report out your results.    Thanks for sharing the link.   I’m not yet convinced but always like to hear new procedures.

DK
I never fully believe those results until I try it for myself either.  So will do.  Wake me up next Nov for the results.   :rotf:

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 05:50:56 PM »

I usually will wet brine pork loin chops and pork tenderloin.   My wife likes how both cuts stay pretty moist using this method.  I have also wet brined split turkey breast with success. Usually just brine both for a couple of hours and then a dry rub as seasoning.

David

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 05:57:44 AM »

Turkey is the only thing I wet brine
Memphis Elite Smoking Brothers 24 in Premier

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 06:36:24 AM »

chunks of pork butt.  One of my favorite meals.

Marinade:  (hog wash)
    1 cup white distilled vinegar
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup apple juice
    3 tablespoons Light brown sugar
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon hot sauce (tapatio)
    1 teaspoon ground pepper
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

So, I guess that would be Country Style ribs.  It would be helpful to me if you would post your complete recipe in the recipe section.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 06:39:36 AM »

Any fowl, salmon and most sea food.

Same brine for all of these?  What are your favorite recipes?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up