Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Our GEB Puppy Sigmund  (Read 6409 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Our GEB Puppy Sigmund
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2019, 12:34:19 PM »

Why does he need to tolerate things on his head?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2019, 01:47:17 PM »

I guess not so much on his head, but over and around his head and folks touching his head at all angels. He needs to get use to a harnass being put on over his head.  The harnass is stiff and can be clumsy and may knock against him, especially if he is the first guide for a handler.  Also, visually impaired folks can reach for the dog's collar and may get his head.  Also, if he had an illness or an accident involving his head, they want the dogs to be calm and patient if handled by a vet. 

Really, just calm and patient and not moving their heads all over if someone is doing something around their head. Not an easy task -- it was a big effort just to get him to sit still and tolerate the scarf without the head band. When I moved towards his head, he wanted to move also even when in a stay.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2019, 05:19:41 PM »

Weimaraners are fairly calm about things like that.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2019, 09:04:56 PM »

That is one highly trained dog -- or he is stoned.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2019, 01:51:19 PM »

That is just to rich!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

MikeMcQ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2019, 01:55:07 PM »

Weimaraners are fairly calm about things like that.
I hear The Grateful Dead playing in the background...
Pellet Head since mid 90s with US Traegers (Dlx then Lil' Tex both gone) | Memphis Pro 304 Cart (2019) | MAK 2 Star wifi, front shelf and cabinet doors | GMG DB w/Smoke Daddy modded for fan only cold smoking or normal op | TEC Infrared gas for high temp searing | Tappecue

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2019, 04:48:52 PM »

Guiding Eyes for the Blind raisers from 5 regions around Washington DC and their pups on program visited the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center today. By taking a tour of the Capitol Building, the pups were exposed to real world situations that they will experience when they are partnered with those needing their specialized skills. The pups got to walk stairs, navigate crowds, ride elevators and be exposed to all sort of folks, activity, noise and several very active elementary school groups -- and all 18 of them did fantastic!!!! Our thanks to the Office of Congressional Accessibility Services, United States Capitol Police, and the Capitol Visitor Center staff for their warm welcome and assistance. And special thanks to David Hauck for his assistance and warm welcome.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2019, 08:47:42 PM »

Man that is neat. Just to be a part of it has to make you feel fantastic, whatever role the dogs end up in.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2019, 08:59:13 AM »

It was Sigmund's birthday yesterday -- 1 year old!!!  Growing up so fast.  We had a party for him at class last night.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2019, 10:35:25 AM »

How do these dogs react when several of their former trainers/handlers are in the room at the same time or when one of them walks into a room after they have not seen them for months/years?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2019, 10:51:36 AM »

Like it is any other day.  They live for the moment!  I have seen the videos of dog sees owner after months away, just tear jerking...it dont happen in my world.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2019, 11:13:53 AM »

Sig glanced at us several times while we were there (sitting behind him) but he remained focused on Dawn who brought him to class and who is sitiing him for another week.  That is actually why they encourage sits, so the dog learns to work and focus on different handlers.  We also do group outings with the dogs and will pass them around for the same reasons.

When he does back to NY for his "college entrance exam" there will be two different trainers in the area who he has never worked with and part of the exam is to see if he will focus on them and what they are asking.  If he goes into harnass training, he will also have a couple of different trainers over the 6 months, so he needs to understand when he is working, he focuses on his handler.

When he was "freed" last night he did come up to say hi with tail wagging and greeted us.  And he was happy to see Bent and was wagging his tail and kissing him.  I think he was happier to see Bentley than me!

I have seen videos of really excited reunions, but when I watch, it is usually the human who starts the excitement and the dog then follows.  Personally, if he eventually guides, I want him to be very attached to his handler and am happy if I am just a distant memory.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2019, 11:20:51 AM »

I asked because our small dog goes nuts when he sees my parents a few weeks in between seeing them, my mother in law months in between seeing her, and others as well.  Same way when I come home after a business trip.  It is great that the dogs being trained can still do their job, but are allowed "free" time off the job to remember their friends.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2019, 11:27:53 AM »

If Sig gets to guide, he will definitely learn the difference between working and non-working.  When he is in harnass (right now in a vest) he needs to learn focus and discpline and that he is on duty.  That is why folks really need to leave working service dogs alone and not try to pet, talk to them or distract them.  When he is out of harnass he is treated much more like an ordinary dog -- he can run and play and be goofy.  Many handlers take the harnass off when they are at their offices because they want the dog to know s/he can relax.  And they don't have a harnass on at home.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2019, 11:04:28 AM »

Sigmund's last day at work with "Aunt Dawn" and her team.  I know he has had a blast and will miss all the action.  Watching beans grow just is not going to cut it anymore!

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up