Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BC Buck on 21 Feb 2019
  • Iv hit a couple of the best known bbq restaurants in STL last couple months to compare to my meats. They are owned or run buy people that had or still compete in bbq. Every restaurant is using the big ole hickory rotisserie plumed to natural gas. The pitmaster on duty says he throws four sticks hickory and two cherry at start of his shift. Looking at his log pile at the size of the splits i would say not more 3LB total for 6 peaces of wood. These cookers look to be 6'long and 4' deep. Thirty years ago I tried making beef jerky and recipe called for liquid smoke. If I remember right it had a distinctive taste. I think im picking up that same taste in there beans and meats. Have any of you eaten in well established bbq restaurants that use liquid smoke?
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Feb 2019
  • I would not be surprised if it is used in beans.  Meats, I see no reason for it, and don't know how you could make it work.  You certainly could not marinade in liquid smoke by itself.

BTW, I'm going to STL in about 6 weeks.  Where should I go for BBQ?
  • #3 by bregent on 21 Feb 2019
  • I think some folks tend to have a heavy hand when using it. If you go easy with it, it can add a nice light smoke flavor. When you start getting that distinctive liquid smoke taste, you've used too much (IMO).
  • #4 by tewharaunz on 21 Feb 2019
  • I agree with bregent.  I tend to put a tiny bit in my bbq sauce (if it needs it) but if I put in too much, it's terrible.

As far as restaurants, I imagine they work to a "famous" recipe, then focus on quality control (eliminate any variations) and then cost cutting.
    It sounds like a gas oven with a place for wood chips is the way to achieve both.

• #5 by pmillen on 21 Feb 2019
  • Have any of you eaten in well established bbq restaurants that use liquid smoke?

Probably.  I don't know if I could tell by the taste if it's used sparingly.  And I don't know if a restaurant would make that information public.

I used to eat at Tony Roma's 3 or 4 times a year.  After they closed here, I read that the cooks told a customer that they parboiled their ribs.  I had always heard that parboiling was a poor practice.  So...who can say.  They may have used liquid smoke, too.
  • #6 by BC Buck on 22 Feb 2019

• BTW, I'm going to STL in about 6 weeks.  Where should I go for BBQ?

Most of well established smokehouses are in STL. Dont like to suggest going into what FBI rated most dangerous city in America 2018. Parking can be tough in big vehicle.
     #1 Pappys Smokehouse
    #2 Salt and smoke (one on Hampton) Good parking, fairly safe,great mac & cheese.
    #3 Bogarts Smokehouse
    #4 Shaved Duck
    STL County safe #5 Dailys Smokehouse
    STL County many locations Bandanas Have some of the best sauces but I still think there brisket is chuck roast.
  • #7 by BC Buck on 22 Feb 2019
  • I would not be surprised if it is used in beans.  Meats, I see no reason for it, and don't know how you could make it work.  You certainly could not marinade in liquid smoke by itself.
    Im thinking something there wetting the meat with before seasoning. There pulled pork had same flavor throughout. Not taste of pork with bark and aju.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Feb 2019

Most of well established smokehouses are in STL. Dont like to suggest going into what FBI rated most dangerous city in America 2018. Parking can be tough in big vehicle.
     #1 Pappys Smokehouse
    #2 Salt and smoke (one on Hampton) Good parking, fairly safe,great mac & cheese.
    #3 Bogarts Smokehouse
    #4 Shaved Duck
    STL County many locations Bandanas Have some of the best sauces but I still think there brisket is chuck roast.

Those first 3 were on my list.  Almost certain I will end up at Salt and Smoke on Delmar while checking out Chuck Berry stuff and Vintage Vinyl.
  • #9 by BC Buck on 22 Feb 2019

#1 Pappys Smokehouse
    #3 Bogarts Smokehouse
    #4 Shaved Duck

Those first 3 were on my list.  Almost certain I will end up at Salt and Smoke on Delmar while checking out Chuck Berry stuff and Vintage Vinyl.
    My truck is to big to park in the Delmar loop. Try to be out before dark and highway construction might give your GPS trouble.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Feb 2019
  • Is it safe to walk from the Marriott downtown to the baseball stadium at night after the game or to go to BB's on Broadway after the game?
  • #11 by LowSlowJoe on 22 Feb 2019
  • If you grew up 50 miles from Detroit, and visit Detroit several times a year for 'fun'. St Louis is nothing to fear. :)

Actually I've only been to St Louis once,  stayed at a nice hotel down town,  took a horse drawn carriage ride around town  late at night.  All in all , I very much enjoyed that trip. Unfortunately I didn't actually get to any BBQ places.

I did experience some food off a Ole' Hickory smoker , up in Oscoda Michigan.  I had a chicken half that was cooked on it.   I enjoyed it a great deal, it was a lot more 'smokey' than I can get a chicken on my pellet grill, and it'd been a while since I had a really smokey tasting chicken.  Pleasant experience really,  If I went back, I'd probably order the chicken again...  ( cheap, and was actually pretty good ).
  • #12 by BC Buck on 22 Feb 2019
  • Is it safe to walk from the Marriott downtown to the baseball stadium at night after the game or to go to BB's on Broadway after the game?
    You should be safe on Broadway and the Marriott is right there. Just dont like people trying to save a few $ by parking blocks down dark alleys or getting turned around and ending up somewhere you dont need to be. I try to never go down town but last month I did and was surprised how many homeless are there.
  • #13 by Bentley on 22 Feb 2019
  • I have seen places use it that mop sauce on meat...
  • #14 by BC Buck on 22 Feb 2019
  • Do you all feel your top 5 favorite bbq restaurants dont use liquid smoke. Im on the fence post and not sure.
  • #15 by dk117 on 22 Feb 2019
  • I use a few ounces liberally in my turkey brine.  It smells all over, but gives a very nice finished product.

DK
Pages:
Actions