Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How Did You Choose Your Handle?  (Read 2418 times)

CaptJerry

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Hold my beer and watch this
Re: How Did You Choose Your Handle?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2019, 05:45:53 PM »

It's my name

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2019, 03:44:52 PM »

My dad was a cowboy most of his life.  A "brushpopper" is usually the lowest paid cowboy in the outfit who is sent into the heavy south Texas brush after a contrary old cow who doesn't want to cooperate.  They wear thick heavy leather leggings and a heavy Carhardt brush jacket to help with the mesquite and prickly pear thorns.  Daddy was the owner of the cattle company and also the lowest paid.  He took care of the hands better than himself financially and didn't want anyone to get hurt in the brush.  It was hot, dangerous and hard work.  We could hear the brush popping in the distance as he was roping the cow and dragging her out.  He could hardly rope anything if he was out in the open, but he was great at roping something in heavy brush.  I ended up in a career doing pretty much the same thing but I was on foot instead of horseback and I wasn't chasing cattle.  I think about him every time I see it on the screen.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2019, 05:10:42 PM »

1967 Trooper
1972 Sergeant
1985 Lieutenant

Best rank was Trooper. Stayed with it for internet nickname.

Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2019, 09:17:19 AM »

I have been blown away by the responses.  They make this site more family like not that it wasn't, just escalates the camaraderie..A big thank you to all.

Gringo

• Using less gas.
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2019, 09:34:25 AM »

Many years ago in school, a teacher had trouble pronouncing my last name "Grengs".  Instead of learning to pronounce it, he just started calling my Gringo.  All my classmates thought it was funny, and it stuck.  Been called Gringo ever since.
Lakeville, MN MemphisPro Weber Performer Blackstone 36" Griddle

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2019, 03:52:42 PM »

Not sure why the last story reminded me of my Pop Warner coaching days, but it did.  I had 4 kids playing one year, two named Ruiz & Nguyen, one pronounced it ru-ez, the other Reese, one pronounced it New-yen the other Win...Was a tough year on me for names...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2019, 07:53:05 PM »

Great thread CJ.

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2019, 07:13:55 AM »

Awww come on ZCZ,
 I wanna hear it!
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2019, 04:25:18 PM »

Any one who has ever traded commodities...

Awww come on ZCZ,
 I wanna hear it!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2019, 05:07:18 PM »

Management of The Tony Kornheiser radio show out of DC at the time I chose the name made them release the Podcast of the show 24 hours after the actual radio broadcast. They were trying to drive traffic to the actual show where there was more money to be made from ad dollars.

This was during the Occupy Wall Street movement, and I honestly don't remember the connection with the screen name, but it had something to do with it.

People started a #FreeMrTony on Twitter trying to convince the "sales weasels" at the radio station to allow the release of the podcast on the same day as the broadcast.

Needless to say, the Tony Kornheiser Show is a big part of my life...

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2019, 08:11:08 PM »

Management of The Tony Kornheiser radio show out of DC at the time I chose the name made them release the Podcast of the show 24 hours after the actual radio broadcast. They were trying to drive traffic to the actual show where there was more money to be made from ad dollars.

This was during the Occupy Wall Street movement, and I honestly don't remember the connection with the screen name, but it had something to do with it.

People started a #FreeMrTony on Twitter trying to convince the "sales weasels" at the radio station to allow the release of the podcast on the same day as the broadcast.

Wow!  Didn't know you were a big sports news guy.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

ZCZ

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2019, 04:56:36 PM »

Small time corn spec trader.  ZCZ is the trading symbol for the electronically traded December contract for corn futures.

Or you can just call me Al.
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2019, 08:55:41 AM »

Joe is ... well there's a 'regular Joe'... but then there's also Frank Zappa's 3 part rock-opera called "Joe's Garage", where the main character in the story goes from being a guy playing guitar on a Fender Champ in his garage band(good wholesome fun), to the point where he is imprisoned for things that might be best left out of the discussion here.   The premise of the story is that Music, and virtually anything fun is made illegal , and follows Joe's life and various crazy things that happen along the way.  Not a story for the feint of heart , or offended by vulgarity, but I've always thought it was a very cleaver  ( perhaps one of Zappa's best ) piece of humorous and somewhat political satire.   

So, LowSlowJoe, is just a regular Joe, trying to have fun doing BBQ Low and Slow...  hopefully they won't make , making BBQ and other pellet grilling types of activity illegal any time soon.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Lothar1974

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Never trust a skinny chef
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2019, 11:24:46 AM »

There was an SNL bit with Mike Myers called Lothar King of the hill people. My brothers friend for some reason called me Lothar while we were watching it, there may have been a few beers involved back then   :P   ,   and it stuck , been called that ever since.  You can probably guess the second half of my handle  ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:26:50 AM by Lothar1974 »
Memphis Elite MES40 1st Gen MES40 2.5 Gen Blackstone 36' Griddle

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2019, 10:41:58 PM »

Wow!  Didn't know you were a big sports news guy.

Actually I am not. Sports radio bores me to death, and I can't stand shows that take callers.  This show does not take callers, and is mainly just an old man complaining which appeals to me. Although he is known as the espn host of PTI, his podcast has very little to do with sports. It's kind of a mash up of sports and news, but mainly just personal stories told in a funny manner. He even reluctantly talks about sports saying he has to because it's nominally a sports show.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up