Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Just David on 02 Sep 2019
  • Was going to do spare ribs today ala Bentley but was side tracked by an episode in my wife of atrial flutter (like a/fib).  So instead of low slow ribs, we had a short fast DC current to the chest. The result was better than ribs.  She is home and in rhythm again.  Will do ribs tomorrow.   :)

That doesn't sound like a good way to spend the day. Praise God it all got worked out. And I hope the ribs end up amazing.
  • #17 by urnmor on 03 Sep 2019
  • Was going to do spare ribs today ala Bentley but was side tracked by an episode in my wife of atrial flutter (like a/fib).  So instead of low slow ribs, we had a short fast DC current to the chest. The result was better than ribs.  She is home and in rhythm again.  Will do ribs tomorrow.   :)

So glad to hear your wife is doing well
  • #18 by dk117 on 03 Sep 2019
  • Tomakawk for the guys, filet mignon for the ladies.  Roasted veggies, mashed potatoes and chimichurri.

[ Invalid Attachment ]  
  • #19 by Bentley on 03 Sep 2019
  • Just one human being eats that rib-eye?
  • #20 by pmillen on 03 Sep 2019
  • I grilled 24 cheeseburgers on my kamado.  I did the bacon, flavored with Savor Spices' Bacon Savor, at 350° on the pellet pit.  Bacon cooked on a pellet pit is memorable, add the Bacon Savor on the top side and your guests will be talking about it the next day.  (There's no need to flip bacon cooked in your pellet pit.)

Add brown sugar and it's the best bacon candy ever.
  • #21 by Kristin Meredith on 03 Sep 2019
  • Lots of great cooks took place on Labor Day!
  • #22 by Clonesmoker on 03 Sep 2019
  • Had this today maple cured pork loin sandwiches with refrigerator bread and butter pickles, American cheese along with Miracle Whip and mustard.

• #23 by okie smokie on 03 Sep 2019
  • Did the ribs ala Bentley.  Took 3 hrs 25min to get the texture we like. Painted the last 25 min.  They were very good.  Had fresh fried Okra with them, (curtesy of my barber).
  • #24 by Hank D Thoreau on 04 Sep 2019
  • I cooked the New York roast I had in my freezer since December. It turned out to be a very low quality of meat. No marbling.

I cooked Ahi tuna, sword fish and mini lobsters the next day. The lobsters turned out to be mealy, unlike what I usually get from that market.

Overall, some disappointing meat quality. At least the tuna and sword fish were good. It goes to show, by the best cuts you can find.
  • #25 by MustangBob on 04 Sep 2019
  • Chicken kabobs. Along with corn on the cob.

Z

Your kabobs look great! I've always had a problem cooking meat & vegetables together on a skewer.
    For me, by the time the chicken gets done, the squash is mushy since they don't cook at the same rate. Same problem with beef skewers! I've even tried using pineapple chunks and apple chunks with the chicken chunks instead of squash, bell pepper and onions in an effort to get it all done at the same time and with good texture. No luck!

Recently I've started separating the meat and vegetables on to their separate skewers.  I cook each type of skewer for the amount of time needed for that particular food by staggering their start time.  In the end, I strip everything off the skewers anyway and serve it intermingled on the plate. For me, that method gives me a better final result with no more effort -- just a simple change in technique.

My guess is there is a science to cutting the right size chicken chunks and right size vegetable chunks to get it to cook properly together on one skewer, but I never was able to get it all to come out right.

Your bi-color 'corn on the cob' looks great also!  There is a popular variety of bi-color corn grown in western Colorado called 'Olathe Sweet Corn' which is only available in grocery stores from mid-August to mid-September.  Very tender, sweet & juicy!  There are other varieties of bi-color corn in other states -- I've seen some varieties called 'Peaches-n-Cream' as a nickname for those yellow & white kernel combinations.
  • #26 by dk117 on 06 Sep 2019
  • Just one human being eats that rib-eye?
    the count is in.  One human yes, but it took me 5 meals including today's lunch to finish it.  Was nearly 3 lbs uncooked. 

I had better results with my first one for Father's day (this last batch was a little under for my taste, I suppose that's not unexpected given the size).   I only see these three times a year (Memorial, Fathers, Labor) I'll probably keep up with cooking them three times a year. 
  • #27 by Bentley on 06 Sep 2019
  • I think the steak houses finish them in the oven when that huge.  Glad my eyes were not deciving me.
  • #28 by glitchy on 06 Sep 2019
  • I've only done a Tomahawk like that once...it fed four of us a very filling dinner.
Pages:
Actions