Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retrofitting a GMG wifi controller onto my Traeger Pro 22  (Read 1520 times)

tewharaunz

• Using less gas.
  • Charteris Bay, NZ
Retrofitting a GMG wifi controller onto my Traeger Pro 22
« on: February 25, 2020, 05:58:44 PM »

Good Topic!

I just finished retrofitting a GMG wifi controller onto my Traeger Pro 22 and needed a GMG temp sensor and a GMG meat probe.  It would have been nice to know the resistance of the probes when searching for generic replacements.  I will check them and report back.  Maybe we could create a table of the results?

I got my controller second hand from a local dealer and I ended up getting the sensor and probe from AliExpress in China.  The temp sensor was item# 33019510752 and the temp probe was item# 4000443393520 and both were about US$11 each and seem to be working OK after a few cooks.

Cheers, David

Edit: I'm sorry I didn't realise this was in the Memphis section.  I always just read the "unread" posts, so please ignore this post.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 06:02:01 PM by tewharaunz »
Traeger Pro 22 Traeger Lil Tex w/ GMG Pizza oven insert GMG Davy Crocket

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Retrofitting a GMG wifi controller onto my Traeger Pro 22
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 10:40:12 AM »

Good Topic!

I just finished retrofitting a GMG wifi controller onto my Traeger Pro 22 and needed a GMG temp sensor and a GMG meat probe.  It would have been nice to know the resistance of the probes when searching for generic replacements.  I will check them and report back.  Maybe we could create a table of the results?

I got my controller second hand from a local dealer and I ended up getting the sensor and probe from AliExpress in China.  The temp sensor was item# 33019510752 and the temp probe was item# 4000443393520 and both were about US$11 each and seem to be working OK after a few cooks.

Cheers, David 

Edit: I'm sorry I didn't realise this was in the Memphis section.  I always just read the "unread" posts, so please ignore this post.
Not 100% sure, however I believe the GMG meat probe is a PT100 RTD with a 1/4" stereo jack..PT100 resistance is 100 Ohms @ 32ºF.. There are RTD charts out there to correlate temperature to resistance..I would be very interested in your findings!  Your meat probe and temperature sensor should both read the same resistance  +/-@ the same temps.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 01:02:40 PM »

I am sure this may help a few folks!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 02:52:51 PM »

I really like how my GMG controller works and can be dialed in using the wifi and app.  Can you give any insight on how you did the retrofit?  Not that I need to know how because I'm trying to sell my Traeger, but my neighbor might be interested for his.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

tewharaunz

• Using less gas.
  • Charteris Bay, NZ
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 10:11:53 PM »

It wasn't that difficult since the old GMG DB (now called Choice) and the Traeger controllers are the same size.  I don't think GMG Prime or DC controllers would work work because they run 12v augers and fans.

I found an article on SmokingMeatForums from someone who had upgraded their Pit Boss 700 FB controller to a GMG wifi controller and since a lot of the Traeger and Pit Boss internals are interchangeable, I thought it would work.

Through some PMs with the helpful OP, I found that on a GMG controller:
Blue pair of wires go to the  fan
Red pair go to the igniter
Black pair go to the auger motor
Black & Red are power (1 has a fuse)

I made up a wiring harness adapter with an adapted old car stereo connector (for the GMG side) and the wires from the old Traeger controller.

Plugged it in and turned it on...

Worked fine but I couldn't do the wifi part, because I didn't have the unit's serial number, which also happens to be the wifi password.
Evidently later models have the number stamped on the controller, but early models don't.

Took me a few days/nights of brute force trial/error hacking until I got it working.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 07:48:20 AM »

Thanks!  I had to replace the controller on mine and it had the number on it, so it was easy.  I knew it was bad when I bought the grill really cheap.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • smoke em if you got em
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 05:21:12 PM »

Photo(s)?
GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block

tewharaunz

• Using less gas.
  • Charteris Bay, NZ
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 07:50:40 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm almost giving up on the "upgrade" because I can't get it to reliably work.

I've had problems getting it up to temperature and then staying at the temp.  I need to double check the temp sensor and the meat probe are accurate.

I know the fan is further away in the Traeger so that might be part of the problem.  Maybe the GMG fan is stronger too?
Also, I wonder if the GMG auger somehow feeds more pellets than the Traeger (faster and/or bigger?)

Anyway, I've been doing my cooking on my old Davy Crockett for now...

Any ideas?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 08:35:10 PM »

What are the temperature swings?  Have you cooked with it yet?  Do the swings effect your cooks?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 09:45:32 AM »

Thinking out loud..If there was an imbalance in the fuel to air ratio; a fuel rich ratio should produce more smoke and soot than normal. Conversely, an overly lean ratio would be clean burning and have a lower

BTU output.

To increase air flow, Traeger has a 9 hole burn pot used in their larger models VS the 7 hole that you should have. If for some reason you have the 9 hole pot, try temporarily blocking off the two extra holes.

If it turns out to be a lean fuel condition, count the auger RPM. There is a spec for it - I just don't have it. Lean fuel can be remedied in two ways. Remove the restrictor in the auger. It's welded in and can't be

easily replaced if you deciede to reverse this modification. The larger Traeger w/ the 9 hole burn pot doesn't have this restrictor. The other option is a higher RPM auger motor.

Hope this helps!

Pages: [1]   Go Up