Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by plantzva on 07 Mar 2020
  • New to the pellet fan....Have had a Rec Tec stampede for a little over a year now and have absolutely loved it, consistent and easy to set it and forget it. (took me about a year to finally decide and pick/buy one)  So easy to smoke on and now ready to try my first brisket.  I bought what I thought was a packer about 9 pounds from crowd cow. It is extremely thin and flat, mostly less than an inch thick all over.  Should I change how I cook it or just go with low and slow until it hits 180 or (whats's the perfect temp before wrapping and then taking it to the low 200's?)  Or any benefit in folding it over?  looked like it was a nice size vacuum packed and frozen but it was all folded up, seems very thin, probably about 30" wide. Thanks for any help
  • #2 by jdmessner on 07 Mar 2020
  • Welcome! I have found the discussion in the "Basic Brisket" thread (posted by Kristen in this section) to have really good tips for brisket. I have followed the temp guidelines listed there and have not been disapointed. I don't know if there would be any benefit from folding it over or not. Off the top of my head I would say no, but I have nothing to base that on. You do do pose and interesting question. Good luck with which ever way you go, please post pictures!!
  • #3 by plantzva on 07 Mar 2020
  • Welcome! I have found the discussion in the "Basic Brisket" thread (posted by Kristen in this section) to have really good tips for brisket. I have followed the temp guidelines listed there and have not been disapointed. I don't know if there would be any benefit from folding it over or not. Off the top of my head I would say no, but I have nothing to base that on. You do do pose and interesting question. Good luck with which ever way you go, please post pictures!!

Excellent thanks for sending me in the right direction, I' decided to go low and slow especially since the brisket is so thin.  I thawed a 7lb Wolfe Brothers Farms Brisket Packer overnight and rubbed with Rec Tec's Ron's Screamin Pig rub, put back in fridge for the day and sprinkled the rub on again before placing on the Rec Tec 590 at the lo smoke temp 180 deg. Filled smoker with mostly pit boss competition blend pellets.  Topped off hopper with their apple blend pellets. Also fired up a smoker tube loaded with these apple pellets. Never have used these pellets, been using lumberjack brand but my Dick's no longer carrys at the store?? Got the Pit Boss ones at lowes and they only had 1 bag of the competition blend and the rest apple.  At least they were reasonably priced like the lumberjack brand, we'll see.  Just put the brisket it on at about 10:20 pm and we'll see what temps it's got in the morning. Cookin' and sleepin'...Hopefully will posts some pics tomorrow.
  • #4 by plantzva on 08 Mar 2020
  • After 8 hrs overnight on the pellet grill set at 180, both meat probes are right at 140-42. So turned it up to 225, will wrap at around 180-85. Below is they the basic brisket although it was only 7lbs, seems like it was almost butterfled, thins spread out with lots of flaps and no fat layer?
  • #5 by plantzva on 08 Mar 2020
  • After seasoning, you can see how it came, i didnt do any trimming. It was spread so thin I decided to cut off the thicker piece for ease of handling.
  • #6 by plantzva on 08 Mar 2020
  • Tried to bunch it up to help slpw the cooking process when i put on the grill last night
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Mar 2020
  • If I were to wrap, it would have been at about 160° to help it get thru the stall.  Looking forward to the pics of the finished product and your thoughts on how the cook went and beef tastes.
  • #8 by plantzva on 08 Mar 2020
  • If I were to wrap, it would have been at about 160° to help it get thru the stall.  Looking forward to the pics of the finished product and your thoughts on how the cook went and beef tastes.

Thanks for the info, so I ended up wrapping at IT of about 160 after about 12.5 hrs at 180. Turned temp up to 225 for 2 hours til IT was 197 in probe a and 203 in prob b . Pulled it an put it in a cooler covered with newspapers til dinner time tonight at 6pm. Delicious!! Although was missing some of the fat layer the meat was well marbled and the thin flat didnt get over cooked. Very proud of my 1st try. Need a better piece of meat for next time. But the pellet grill makes it so easy. Photo below is after 12.5 hrs on smoker at 180.
  • #9 by plantzva on 08 Mar 2020
  • At 160 pulled and put in tray with some “secret sauce” wrapped tray up tight with aluminum foil, turned grill up to 225 and cooked about 2 hrs til IT was 197 and 203. Pulled and put in cooler until dinner time.
  • #10 by plantzva on 08 Mar 2020
  • 1st cuts
  • #11 by plantzva on 08 Mar 2020
  • Last one
  • #12 by jdmessner on 08 Mar 2020
  • Looks great! Nice pictures! Good job :clap:

I found a 2 lb brisket that I am going to cook later in the week (I had never seen one packaged like that before). I will go with similar cooking temps to the ones you used, and pay close attention to the internal temps. I am curious how the time will vary due to the size of the brisket.
  • #13 by Bentley on 08 Mar 2020
  • Looks like it came out very well!
  • #14 by pmillen on 09 Mar 2020
  • Yep.  It looks great (and nice knife skills).
  • #15 by triplebq on 09 Mar 2020
  • Nicely done
Pages:
Actions