Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: It Just Got Real  (Read 9571 times)

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: It Just Got Real
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2020, 06:16:28 PM »

This technology isn't new. It is just being adopted more due to the virus. I had a call with a hospital I worked with 5 years ago setting up video for parents who had kids in the ICU. It was mostly for newborns (NICU). They couldn't get full adoption back then but now it is in demand. I think you will see more of this going forward.
yeah, Zoom seems like a novelty for some.  But we've had this technology for 20 years, it just wasn't adopted widely.   I've been working from home full time for 19 years and I'm astounded that people are struggling working from home.  VPN's, webex (now Zoom) have been around forever.   And one doesn't need to commute or shave or even put on pants!

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2020, 08:21:11 PM »

This technology isn't new. It is just being adopted more due to the virus. I had a call with a hospital I worked with 5 years ago setting up video for parents who had kids in the ICU. It was mostly for newborns (NICU). They couldn't get full adoption back then but now it is in demand. I think you will see more of this going forward.
yeah, Zoom seems like a novelty for some.  But we've had this technology for 20 years, it just wasn't adopted widely.   I've been working from home full time for 19 years and I'm astounded that people are struggling working from home.  VPN's, webex (now Zoom) have been around forever.   And one doesn't need to commute or shave or even put on pants!

DK

So true.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2020, 10:09:36 PM »

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2020, 10:51:08 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/us/california-deaths-earliest-in-us/index.html

Explains a lot in my mind.
Actually this confuses me even more

"In other words, all of the country monitors flu-like illness generically, over time. We did not see a spike that would have suggested trouble in February,"

So we had community exposure in January (maybe earlier) we didn't get the spike in the curve, so what's the point of shelter in place to flatten the curve?

And then we have this gem

https://news.yahoo.com/cold-calculations-americas-leaders-reopening-122102505.html
And so the nation’s leaders are left with the excruciating dilemma of figuring out how to balance life and livelihood on a scale unseen in generations. “Every governor in the nation is asking that,” Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan, where 2,700 have died and more than 1 million have lost jobs, said this week. “There’s no such thing as zero risk in the world in which we’re living. But we know that not taking measures to control the spread means that’s going to translate into lives lost.”
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2020, 11:03:04 AM »

My friend/coworker went to Disney Land in the middle of January.  Got home, and within days were sick with fevers/flu issues.  Next thing you know my kids and wife all had it.  My wife works at an elementary school and said attendance was low in February.  Local hospitals had what seemed to be a large amount of flu like cases coming through, but were not testing positive....I have had my theories.  I say focus on the antibody test first, it will tell you quicker what has occured and where our focus should be.  The random antibody testing of a couple counties across the US have shown that 50x's to 85x's more people have been infected and recovered than what our counts show depending on the group and area.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2020, 09:09:35 PM »

What us geezers do to keep occupied during coronavirus lockdown. Golf cart parade through the neighborhood, 50+ carts.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2020, 11:26:26 AM »

"New York may have 13.9% of its population infected with coronavirus, meaning 2.7 million residents could have had the virus, preliminary state results Thursday showed.

New York heath officials conducted an antibody test of a sample of 3,000 people in recent days. The immediate results, released Thursday, suggested a death rate of about 0.5% of those infected because about 15,500 New Yorkers have died of confirmed COVID-19 cases."

And I would hazard a guess that even more than 2.7 million in NY have had and/or currently have it and don't know it. Also interesting that the mortality rate comports with Iceland's mortality rate -- known weeks ago -- because Iceland was the nation with the most extensive testing of its population at that time.

Amazing what we discover when we let the facts develop instead of panicking and assuming we know everything. And destroying our economy in the process.

https://news.yahoo.com/york-releases-antibody-testing-data-175805494.html

And Gov. Cuomo later said:  ""What we found so far is that the statewide number is 13.9% tested positive for having the antibodies," Cuomo said. "They were infected three weeks ago, four weeks ago, five weeks ago, six weeks ago, but they had the virus, they developed the antibodies and they are now recovered."  Wow, way before the stay at home order. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 11:28:55 AM by Kristin Meredith »

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2020, 02:51:54 PM »

The woman who passed away on Feb 6 was a senior manager for Lam Research.  Lam develops and sells semiconductor manufacturing equipment.  I knew someone that worked in the same industry years ago.  He told me there is always a lot of traffic between the supplier and the customer to keep this very expensive equipment running.  Guess where most of the semiconductors in the world are made today.   She hadn't done any traveling recently but it is likely that others in her office did. 

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2020, 06:28:53 PM »

I don't know how vaccine approval works in the US, but I sure hope if Oxford's vaccine is effective and ready by September, the US allows its citizens to use it.

https://news.yahoo.com/race-coronavirus-vaccine-oxford-group-191719046.html

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2020, 11:15:42 PM »

I don't know how vaccine approval works in the US, but I sure hope if Oxford's vaccine is effective and ready by September, the US allows its citizens to use it.

https://news.yahoo.com/race-coronavirus-vaccine-oxford-group-191719046.html
Agree on Oxford!.
 Also, it is now apparent that EARLY use of the current available drugs (they are not scarce)--Hydrochoroquine, azithromycin, and zinc has a great effect in reducing morbidity and mortality. This combo prevents the virus from attaching to cells and replicating.  It is now known that the virus attaches to the heme portion of hemoglobin and makes it unable to transport O2 or CO2. Acts just like carboxymetho-hemoglobin in carbon monoxide poisoning. Then the red cells clot and hemolyse and release heme. So essentially the affected cells are NOT recoverable for normal function.  This attachment also occurs in the alveolar cells of lungs as well as other vital organs, liver, islet cell of pancreas, kidney and causes damage to their functions as well.  By the time the patient is desaturated of O2, and fighting for breath, the application of a ventilator under high pressure, usually makes things worse as it can't get the RBC s to pick up O2.  The use of hyperbaric O2 chambers would help but like ventilators were scarce before, they are even more so. The reason for the adverse report on use of hydrochloroquine recently in the VAH was that it was appleid too late. Given to patients on ventilators or in great respiratory distress.  BOTTOM LINE: These drugs must be started early---IMO the earlier the better.
ALSO: Ultraviolate light kills the virus. There is a new piece of equipment that is like an ultraviolet endotracheal scope that can be used to safely light up the lungs and alveoli where all the blood passes on its many trips for oxygen, and to release CO2, and will kill the virus it reaches in those areas. I am told it is patented but not yet in clinical trials or production.  So-our scientists are not sleeping at the wheel. I expect more innovations to follow.  The above suggestions about treatment are my personal opinion based on the info I have gleaned from scientific articles, and the info I have gathered from the net. Hopefully I am not too far astray. Stay well, the cavalry is on the way.
PS for those who might think the UV light is a fairy tale (like our brilliant media folks do) here is a reference. Please note the research is being done at Cedars-Sinai medical center.
 https://apnews.com/b44f4531071e6204023f7b8e16f59d4b
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 11:31:31 PM by okie smokie »

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2020, 06:28:05 AM »

I appreciate the info and thoughtful explanation okie smokie.  I hope I don't get this, but if I do I am going to reference this thread and your comments and show to my doctors.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2020, 08:38:34 AM »

I hope some of this covid research helps to develop new medicines and technologies for the flu, pneumonia, cancer, etc.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2020, 09:43:27 AM »

I hope some of this covid research helps to develop new medicines and technologies for the flu, pneumonia, cancer, etc.
I suspect there will be some spin offs for other viral diseases. I know one thing that is a benefit, and that is that people are now a bit more knowledgable about cleanliness, and how to reduce spread of viral and bacterial disease. If everyone with a routine uri (cold) wore a mask and avoided close personal contact for a week, and washed hands, a great many of us would not have to suffer thru the same "uri" with them. For older folks (grandma) would not have to suffer thru everything that the grandkids brought from school.  Lots of pneumonia as a secondary complication, occurs in the elderly who had a prior "cold".  The pneumonia whether viral or bacterial can kill or damage the elderly. 
In 1917 many of the Influenza victims, died of secondary bacterial (pneumococcal) pneumonia. (besides the viral pneumonia).  Of course we now have vaccine for pneumococcal pneumonia and for influenza.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2020, 10:56:41 AM »

Yeah and I read that this year only about 40% got the flu vaccine. Go figure.

okie smokie

« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2020, 11:07:47 AM »

Yeah and I read that this year only about 40% got the flu vaccine. Go figure.
And for most the vaccine is free.  Complacency!.  Or ignorant fear of vaccination.  Look what happened this year with measles because of the ignorant fear of vaccine. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up