Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: It Just Got Real  (Read 9567 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Re: It Just Got Real
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2020, 06:09:32 AM »

In my neighborhood (which is a RV Resort that has small houses) about 95% of the residents are retired.  Out of about 80 people only one couple got the virus.  He went to his Father's funeral in Arkansas and got it there.  He was already self-quarantining himself from the neighbors when he found out his brother had it.  When he got sick he moved out of their house into his motorhome.  He has COPD.  His wife still got it.  They recovered without ever going to the hospital.  From what I have read over and over is most cases were mild.  From what I understood they took the same type of over the counter medicine a person would take if they had the flu for reducing the fever and cough. 

The county I live in South Alabama borders the Gulf of Mexico.  We have had only 9 deaths out of 225+ cases.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 06:11:52 AM by reubenray »
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2020, 10:06:50 AM »

In my neighborhood (which is a RV Resort that has small houses) about 95% of the residents are retired.  Out of about 80 people only one couple got the virus.  He went to his Father's funeral in Arkansas and got it there.  He was already self-quarantining himself from the neighbors when he found out his brother had it.  When he got sick he moved out of their house into his motorhome.  He has COPD.  His wife still got it.  They recovered without ever going to the hospital.  From what I have read over and over is most cases were mild.  From what I understood they took the same type of over the counter medicine a person would take if they had the flu for reducing the fever and cough. 

The county I live in South Alabama borders the Gulf of Mexico.  We have had only 9 deaths out of 225+ cases.
4% death rate.

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2020, 10:34:57 AM »

4% death rate.
Of known cases.  Case studies from Standford and some East coast colleges with random antibody tests of residents have the denominator being multiplied by 30 to 85 times, depending on the area the test was administered.  Most people are never tested because they did not need to go to the doctor.

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2020, 11:05:57 AM »

4% death rate.

I checked again and it was 9 deaths out of 291 positive cases.  Most of these had bad underlying health conditions.  You see 4% - I see 96%.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2020, 11:47:28 AM »

At 291 known cases and 9 deaths, that is a 3.1% case fatality rate.  The mortality rate is unknown because we don't know the total number of people who have or have had it.

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2020, 01:19:50 PM »

Yup. I agree with all.  Was just making a comment.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2020, 01:36:36 PM »

Almost three weeks ago, my 72 year old mother-in-law and about 7-8 friends of hers got together to play a dice game, bunco, like they previously had played once a month before this pandemic.  Shortly thereafter, all of them were diagnosed as positive for the covid-19 virus.  All but one of them had relatively mild symptoms of a fever and a bit of the coughing and most are back to feeling normal after self medicating and self quarantine.  One of them had not been able to break the fever for almost two weeks so my MIL took her friend to the hospital on Monday where they have kept her and placed her on oxygen assistance.  She was also showing early signs of pneumonia so they were working to mitigate that too.  Hopefully, she will be fine like the rest of my MIL's friends.

The bad news is that they were not wearing masks and practicing social distancing and all fell to the virus.  The good news may be that they all now have the antibody and may have a slim chance of catching the virus again if there is any truth to those stories you read and hear about.

She lives about 1000 miles away from us so we have not had to quarantine from her.  They were the first people that I personally knew that had caught the virus. So, it is now real to me.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #158 on: June 09, 2020, 07:19:16 AM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html?fbclid=IwAR3Vf0wPBQBvUwNkAYJb0fHZH1Qgr2noPhUmfv_qGlLlaH7SHpf4KBxoN0o

I read part of that article yesterday.  I am holding back my agreement with their statement until I see some other studies finding similar results.  They have made a few mistakes on their assessment of this virus in the past from what I can gather.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: June 09, 2020, 07:52:42 AM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html?fbclid=IwAR3Vf0wPBQBvUwNkAYJb0fHZH1Qgr2noPhUmfv_qGlLlaH7SHpf4KBxoN0o

I read part of that article yesterday.  I am holding back my agreement with their statement until I see some other studies finding similar results.  They have made a few mistakes on their assessment of this virus in the past from what I can gather.

The problem is, every organization has.  That is why it is so difficult to believe any of them.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2020, 08:18:35 AM »

I agree with you on that.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2020, 09:13:34 AM »

Just as a point of interest on the asymptomatic issue, I did read a different sudy where they exposed 494 people to asymptomatic carriers and not one of the 494 developed COVID-19 or tested positive.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #162 on: June 10, 2020, 08:59:44 AM »

Now I have read an article or two that states my blood type of AB+ may be the most likely of blood types to obtain the virus with O blood types the least likely.

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #163 on: June 10, 2020, 12:04:35 PM »

My daughter is a Veterinary resident at an animal hospital in NYC.  Almost everyone on the hospital floor that works with her got the virus.  She never felt sick during the entire time the virus was spreading throughout NYC. Her boss requested that she get the antibody test under the suspicion that she was asymptomatic.  She tested negative for the antibody that is present when you currently have the virus and very positive for the antibody that indicates you had the virus at some point.  Her fiance then got tested and his results were negative for both antibodies.  Just makes you wonder. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up