Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pizza dough made easy  (Read 1234 times)

just4fn

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Pizza dough made easy
« on: May 27, 2020, 10:14:21 PM »

Can't get any easier than this.  I just called Papa Murphy's and they will sell a family size pizza dough only for 4.00.  A blank canvass for the making.  I'm going to do that next time. I just purchased Pillsbury pizza dough for 3.99 so this is a no brainer.
GMG Daniel Boone, Blackstone 36 griddle, Primo XL Kamado with Flame Boss 300 and a FireBoard.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Pizza dough made easy
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 10:45:06 PM »

Let some of the guys on this site show you how to make dough.  They can show you how to make a lot of dough for 4 bucks!  And there is nothing wrong with Papa Murphy, I loved em when we could get them.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

just4fn

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 10:52:48 PM »

I was looking on the web.  The recipe she demonstrated looked fairly easy but you have to let is set overnight in the fridge.  That's ok if you prepare but if you want it now, Go to Papa's
GMG Daniel Boone, Blackstone 36 griddle, Primo XL Kamado with Flame Boss 300 and a FireBoard.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 08:36:36 AM »

Our newspaper had a blurb on pizza making.  Totally non traditional. They used naan bread for quick and easy crust. Also replaced traditional the tomato sauce with BBQ sauce. Not exactly pizza as we know it..

Just something to try in your spare time.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 01:06:07 PM »

I use a simple dough recipe that costs about $1 to make 2 x 18" pies

Bread Flour: 680gms
Salt: 17gms
Sugar: 10gms
Instant Dry Yeast: 2.75gms
Water : 400gms
Oil: 14gms
Malt Powder: 7gms

Mix and knead until smooth dough ball forms. Let rise at room temp until doubled - about 3 hours.

However you will get a better results if you include an autolyse - mix the flour and water together well and let stand for 20 to 60 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients. This will create better flavor and dough that is easier to handle.

If I am making a same day dough I use warmer 95F water. If making a retarded dough for 1-3 days later, I will use cooler water and a little less yeast.

Here's an 18" pie I made a few days ago that that probably cost me all of $4

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:11:01 PM by bregent »

Ralphie

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 09:28:21 AM »

I’m inching closer to making pizza. Would you say a digital scale is needed to make good dough?
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 11:04:54 AM »

My favorite "easy" pizza dough is Chef John's no knead pizza dough. Below is a link, if that doesn't work then "chef john pizza crust" is the way to google

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/09/no-knead-pizza-dough-remix.html
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 11:30:43 AM »

I’m inching closer to making pizza. Would you say a digital scale is needed to make good dough?
Absolutely. Volume measures are too inaccurate, made worse by someone starting out.. Might I suggest a scale of a higher rating than what you would normally think you might need. The mixing bowl

weight  + ingredients is what you have to consider.  Bowls can be heavy.. Place the bowl on the scale, hit TARE to "0" it, next ingredient, the same... Interesting to note that 1 ML of water weighs 1 Gram.

The scale has many other uses as you will find.. The one I use is a 8,000 Gram ( 8 KG/16 LB) scale. It reads in Grams, Pounds, Ounces plus.  It's a  My Weight, KD 8000- excellent and extremely accurate.

Ralphie

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 11:42:01 AM »

Thank you!  I’ll look into it.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 01:47:04 PM »

My favorite "easy" pizza dough is Chef John's no knead pizza dough. Below is a link, if that doesn't work then "chef john pizza crust" is the way to google

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/09/no-knead-pizza-dough-remix.html

I like watching his videos.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 07:18:06 PM »

I would say it makes things much easier and more accurate, but if that is the only thing holding you back I wouldn't let it.

I made pizza for years by look and feel rather than accurate measurements. It's better and more consistent now, but it was pretty good then as well.

It doesn't have to be an exact science. If 3 cups doesn't end up being the exact gram conversion your dough will still be just as good l, it will just have slightly different characteristics. The scale just takes the guesswork out of the equation.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 08:57:51 PM »

Mix and knead until smooth dough ball forms. Let rise at room temp until doubled - about 3 hours.

However you will get a better results if you include an autolyse - mix the flour and water together well and let stand for 20 to 60 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients. This will create better flavor and dough that is easier to handle.

If I am making a same day dough I use warmer 95F water. If making a retarded dough for 1-3 days later, I will use cooler water and a little less yeast.

A friend wants to try to get a pizza truck/trailer set up. He wants to make his own dough, his own sauce. I told him if just starting to just buy dough from the dough company about 20 minutes away. I also mentioned maybe a premade sauce just adjusted, he wasn't to keen on that either, but said it made sense.

We are going to try the recipe above, as he wants to start trying to figure that part out. So I have  few questions.

It says mix flour and water together for 20 to 60 minutes, would I still use the warm water or hotter water so it is still warm come time to add the yeast?

What type of crust would you say this would turn out to be? could it be thin and crisp or will it be chewy? I want to help hm as much as I can as he has asked, so hopefully you folks won't mind if I pick your brains.

He is also all about wanting brick oven pizza. I asked if he was wanting wood fired or gas like a deck oven, my thought is that the stone deck in the gas oven other than not having the higher heat and flavor of the wood  fired dome would be the same.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 10:56:15 AM »

A friend wants to try to get a pizza truck/trailer set up. He wants to make his own dough, his own sauce. I told him if just starting to just buy dough from the dough company about 20 minutes away. I also mentioned maybe a premade sauce just adjusted, he wasn't to keen on that either, but said it made sense.

We are going to try the recipe above, as he wants to start trying to figure that part out. So I have  few questions.

It says mix flour and water together for 20 to 60 minutes, would I still use the warm water or hotter water so it is still warm come time to add the yeast?

What type of crust would you say this would turn out to be? could it be thin and crisp or will it be chewy? I want to help hm as much as I can as he has asked, so hopefully you folks won't mind if I pick your brains.

He is also all about wanting brick oven pizza. I asked if he was wanting wood fired or gas like a deck oven, my thought is that the stone deck in the gas oven other than not having the higher heat and flavor of the wood  fired dome would be the same.

Tell him to go to the PizzaMaking web site and create an account. Thank he can ask all the questions he wants.
Lots of info about recipes for the different types of pizza (Chicago Deep Dish, NY Style, cracker crust, etc.) and plenty of info about ovens.
Lots of business owners there that can help.

He doesn't want to buy dough then later make his own. People don't like change.

1) He needs to figure out what kind of pizza he wants to sell.
2) Find a recipe that suits his needs (same day dough, make it day before, make it two days before, etc.). Longer ferment, makes better flavor dough.
3) Get to where he can make it consistently good before opening up shop. That takes time...
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 11:15:31 AM »

Just some data for him.  To me, time savings and consistency must be a priority in food service.

Cookshack Commercial Pizza Oven

A friend wants to try to get a pizza truck/trailer set up.

He is also all about wanting brick oven pizza. I asked if he was wanting wood fired or gas like a deck oven, my thought is that the stone deck in the gas oven other than not having the higher heat and flavor of the wood...

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 11:33:45 AM »

I googled this and found a lot of pictures.  Whether these pictures really represent this technique I do not know, gonna assume they do since it is King Aurther.  What I cant understand is the differences?  To me there is not a lot of difference between the 4.  The only difference I see is that #1 has more pockets together. 

Photo curtesy of King Arthur flour.

With all that extra effort to incorporate the starter properly after the autolyse, I'm a bit disappointed to see so little bang for my buck. The loaves that include an autolyse (#3 and #4) do show greater expansion, but there's not a dramatic difference.

Dough #1: The mix that received no autolyse or pause produces a slightly smaller baguette, with a more erratic crumb structure than the other test loaves.
Dough #2: The mix and pause method produces the best color, crumb, and scoring.
Dough #3: The 30-minute autolyse yields a robust loaf with a decent crumb, but nothing to write home about.
Dough #4: The 60-minute autolyse produces the largest baguette, but the crumb isn't as open as #1, #2 or #3.

Results curtesy of
AUTHOR
Barb Alpern

However you will get a better results if you include an autolyse
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 11:35:31 AM by Bentley »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up