Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brisket to hamburger meat  (Read 1007 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Brisket to hamburger meat
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 08:59:38 PM »

this may be more expensive than you want and not sure if it is the type of slice you want either

https://www.amazon.com/Weston-CUBER-TENDERIZER-SLICER-07-3150-W/dp/B08BTJHMTJ/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=jerky+slicer&qid=1594861087&sr=8-9
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 08:55:12 AM »

I do not believe that there is a die plate big enough to give you the results you are looking for on a grind.  What cut do you like for it?  Cutting it after grilling should not be to tough for you!  Do you have a cleaver or a 10 inch Chefs knife?

I have a 10 inch chef's knife but I was hoping for something less labor intensive.  I think sirloin would be an excellent cut for it.

this may be more expensive than you want and not sure if it is the type of slice you want either

https://www.amazon.com/Weston-CUBER-TENDERIZER-SLICER-07-3150-W/dp/B08BTJHMTJ/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=jerky+slicer&qid=1594861087&sr=8-9

That may work but I'm sure I'll be told we don't need another kitchen gadget.  Thanks y'all!!
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 10:31:45 AM »

Now the San Antonio area sure aint Mayberry when it comes to carne asada, but even when I had it is TJ and Rosarito in Baja. it was flank or skirt that was grilled and cut.  Or a better description is chopped up with a big cleaver on a dried stump for a cutting board.  I am not sure any market is going to sell meat that is already the size you are looking for...for the tacos!  Try some skirt steak, it will chop real easy for you at medium rare!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 10:51:59 AM »

I'll ask how they do it the next time I go to a taco stand.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 11:36:56 AM »

Now the San Antonio area sure aint Mayberry when it comes to carne asada, but even when I had it is TJ and Rosarito in Baja. it was flank or skirt that was grilled and cut.  Or a better description is chopped up with a big cleaver on a dried stump for a cutting board.  I am not sure any market is going to sell meat that is already the size you are looking for...for the tacos!  Try some skirt steak, it will chop real easy for you at medium rare!

I ate plenty of burritos with carne asada chopped on a dried stump in Tecate
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2020, 01:15:51 PM »

Looks like it would be great for Jerky, but probably a real PITA to clean.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2020, 02:25:11 PM »

Looks like it would be great for Jerky, but probably a real PITA to clean.

I have the attachment for my LEM to do jerky, and it is not too bad to clean.  Of course, I am usually doing 20+ pounds of meat thru it at one time so it makes it worthwhile to me to use and then clean.  If I was only doing a few pounds then I would agree it would not be worth it to clean.  Soaking in hot soapy water for about 30 minutes right after use helps a lot and then using some fine brushes that come with an LEM cleaning kit really help too.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 08:14:24 PM »

I have the #8 too.  How long did it take to grind and how many lbs was the brisket before trimming and cubing to grind?

I made half for 1# packages (for fatties, tacos, etc.) and the other almost half for burgers.
It took 20 minutes to grind 10 pounds. Probably 6-8 minutes of that was dealing with the internal circuit breaker tripping.
Lesson learned from that:  cut smaller pieces and let fat thaw a little more.
I should have cut more fat away than I did.  First pic looks like 70/30 or worse.
So we vacuum sealed the 1# packages and put them in freezer.

The second half, (which evdntually wasn't quite half) went better.
We didn't like how much fat went in first half, so wife was trimming fat and cutting rest into smaller pieces.
Only took 9 minutes to go through about 8.8 lbs.
Meat in second picture is definitely leaner looking than first.
Were too tired to season, make patties, and seal today.
Will do that in the morning before the Pizza Cheese and Pepperoni get here that need to be divided up, vacuum sealed and frozen.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:12:07 AM by 02ebz06 »
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

bregent

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2020, 10:02:25 PM »

I've never had a problem with throughput grinding with the Kitchenaid. My kids upgraded me this year from the old plastic housing grinder to the newer all metal one. It's got a bigger throat and can probably grind over 1lb/minute. The old plastic one was a tad bit slower and worked fine but the housing was cracked.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2020, 11:12:26 AM »

The problems I had were my fault, not the grinder.
Pieces were too large and fat was too frozen.
I cut slices off the brisket just as if you cutting for sandwiches, only thicker.
The long pieces was the problem.
Once my wife cut more fat off and made pieces smaller, time was about 1 lb/ min. as well.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up