Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed - New Outdoor Kitchen  (Read 2855 times)

ba123

• Using less gas.
Re: Advice needed - New Outdoor Kitchen
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2020, 01:39:57 PM »

My kitchen will be against a wall and no way will I be able to access the back without pulling it out at least partially. What can I do?

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2020, 03:34:13 PM »

My kitchen will be against a wall and no way will I be able to access the back without pulling it out at least partially. What can I do?

If you can't get around that, at least don't put a back on the cabinet the grill is in.
That will give you a little more room (3"+) to work should you have to pull it out.
Taking this picture made me realize I hadn't cleaned the outside after I cleaned the inside yesterday. Haha

EDIT: FYI - The grill can't go back any farther as side brackets go all the way to back of cabinet, and the rear bracket shown) sets on them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 03:50:12 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

ba123

• Using less gas.
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2020, 06:14:15 PM »

02ebz06, I appreciate the help, but really don't understand what you mean. Maybe if I had the grill,I would understand, but don't.

As far as not putting a backing, the counter depth will be 30" so I should have some space behind the grill, but the backing of the kitchen is against the wall and you will not be able to get back there.

Drawing attached. The larger Tec is actually the Memphis (no Memphis pic available for this or I couldn't find one for the Elite).

If possible, should I try to put the Memphis on the left wing with the open back? Not sure if it would fit there, but could check. The pergola ends right there though, and I also like to grill and smoke in the rain, so want to make sure that's not an issue. There are some trees right there and may not get wet at all, but then it might. There is also a pergola post right there and don't want it to get hot, so not sure this is the best idea.

Thoughts?

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2020, 06:53:59 PM »

OK lets start over.
You can use the four feet to support the grill or it can hang from the three brackets (both sides and back) or both.
If you use the feet to support it, it will make if more difficult to slide grill in/out unless you have a really slick surface.
Mine hangs from the brackets.
If you want to support it by the feet, the brackets STILL need to be there to prevent anything combustible from falling down sides or back.
Side brackets are all that are really needed as you can see by my earlier picture. They are solid.
Unless you are somehow going to have no combustible material for 18" on either side, you need to buy the heat shield kit as well.
Then only 1/8" to combustibles on sides.

The brackets on the sides are 25" deep, which is same depth as my counter (left over granite from kitchen remodel).
They line up with front edge of grill (bottom of first pic below).

So if your countertop is 30" deep, you will have 8-1/2" of space behind the grill. (30" - 25" + 3-1/2" after removing back bracket)
You may be able to slide the grill out 8" or so to give some working room.
With a wall behind you, you will have to lay on the counter to do any work.
Make sure the two cables will have enough length if you have to pull it out.
Another minor thing, you will have to load pellets in the hopper from the front.
Fortunately, you can just flip the hopper lid around.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 11:42:29 AM by 02ebz06 »
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2020, 02:05:11 PM »

loading pellets from the front will be a bit of a pain IMO especially if you need to add pellets while cooking.  You will probably also need some sort of stool to step on to be able to see how many pellets you have in the grill and load them.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

ba123

• Using less gas.
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2020, 11:26:09 AM »

This whole thing has been slow going with the rest of the backyard having to be done first, but making progress. Settled on a design and having RTF do the frame. They make it out of steel , coat it for rust prevention, assemble it (mine will be in 4 pieces so I can fit it all in the space) and cement board on it and cut. Hope it works out how I hope it will! I'll just have to put it together in its place and have the brick veneer and countertop done.

Everything will be as shown, except the Memphis control panel...fits better on the right leg above the trash pullout. Hope I have no prob putting it there! From what I read, you used to have to have it on the left but now it can be mounted anywhere the 10' cable will reach. Hope that's the case!

Thanks!

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2020, 12:05:06 PM »

The Memphis control panel could always be mounted anywhere the 10' cable would reach, their installation guide just showed it on the left.
However, the network cable and the main cable are on the left rear side of the grill.
So there is a benefit of having it on left.
If installed on the right, you would only have about 7' of cable from back right corner.

Keep in mind that if the control panel ever needs to be replaced, you have the network cable (attached to the control panel) that would need to be disconnected from grill and pulled out.
Then you would have to fish the new network cable back to the grill.
If you can't do that with with your hands, you have a problem.
An option would be to run an 1-1/2" or 2" (2" probably better as main cable is rather stiff and has a large plug on end) PVC conduit for running the two cable thru.
Leave a pull string or two in the conduit.

The A/C power cord is on the controller and you need to take into consideration when installing an outlet for it.
Also, if the outlet is hidden, it should not be a GFCI outlet, but can still be on a GFCI circuit.
How the power cord is run is another consideration if the controller has to be replaced.

Memphis specifies in the manual that the grill be unplugged when not in use, so keep that in mind.

I was not doing that at first and was having some flaky issues with the controller.
Memphis Tech told me I needed to keep it unplugged.
Had no more issues after doing that.

Is your trash bin in an enclosed case, or just a front with trash bin on slides?
If open, you could put the outlet above it by the controller with outlet facing down.
That way you could just open the trash bin and reach up to plug/unplug the grill.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 12:48:48 PM by 02ebz06 »

ba123

• Using less gas.
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2020, 12:43:47 PM »

That's a big help, thanks!!!

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2020, 11:58:27 AM »

A couple more things I thought of...

Have you tested your WiFi by the ODK?
Take a tablet or a laptop and see if you have good signal strength out there.
I had to put a stronger WiFi Extender in so the grill WiFi would work.
Something you should do before installing the grill.

Since you are backing up against a wall, I suggest you get a 4' to 6' Cat-5 cable and a Cat-5 coupler.
To connect the Cat-5 cable from the controller to the grill, you have to remove the back panel. Will not be easy in your setup.
With the short cable and coupler, you can remove the back panel, plug the short Cat-5 cable in, put a couple tie-wraps on it to hold in place, and put cover back on grill.
Then you can put the coupler on the end.
Now the cable from the controller can plug into the coupler with no need to pull back panel.

ba123

• Using less gas.
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2021, 07:46:58 PM »

Project is finally coming along. Thank you for all the tips! I have my Memphis Elite and kitchen is here, just chugging along on checking fitment and stuff. Speaking of which, the flipping Memphis bracket DOES NOT FIT. They say the opening needs to be at least 8.5 x 6.5 but the bracket is slightly taller than 6.5. Had fund today modifying it to work. Could not make my hole larger as it's welded steel tubing.

I will be able to reach around for the wiring, but I'm going to add a coupler and ethernet cable like 02ebz06 mentioned anyway. Looks like it can only make this easier if needed now that I see where the ethernet plug is on the grill.

Any other recommendations now that this is here?

2 pics attached. One of kitchen how it is now and one of modified and mounted control box bracket.

Thanks!

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2021, 10:48:25 AM »

Coming along nicely!!!  :clap:
Nice mod to make the controller case fit.
Make sure you have easy access to the power outlet for the grill.
It is recommended to unplug grill when not using it.

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2021, 04:42:13 PM »

Maybe put in a switch or shut off breaker
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

ba123

• Using less gas.
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2021, 04:55:15 PM »

Might add and old school switch, but also got these bad boys that are Alexa and smartphone and timer controlled, however you want them:

Smart Plug 4 Pack, Treatlife 7 Day Heavy Duty Programmable Timer, Works with Alexa and Google Assistant, 1800W 15A Smart Home WiFi Outlet, Child Lock, Away Mode
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088PNCJFQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2021, 04:58:48 PM »

Looks like you are going to have a great cooking area!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2021, 05:18:19 PM »

Maybe put in a switch or shut off breaker

Switch or breaker only disconnects the hot line.
Lightening strike could still take out the grill through the neutral wire.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up