Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Roast Beef  (Read 771 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Roast Beef
« on: November 07, 2020, 07:37:10 PM »

I saw a picture of an outstanding roast beef that was done on a rotisserie on one of my facebook smoking groups.  Has anyone done this?  Also what piece of meat is used for roast beef.  I love roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy and sandwiches.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

GREG-B

• Washougal WA
Re: Roast Beef
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 07:51:23 PM »

I've done a standing rib roast on my Kamado with a rotisserie.  It was outstanding, basted in it's own juices as it turned.  My problem is my SWMBO doesn't like as rare as I do.  Consequently, the best I could manage with her around was med.  Still juicy and good but not rare like I like.  Happy spouse, happy house. ::)
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 08:04:32 PM »

Virtually any cut can be used.  I think the larger the cut the easier to slice.  With mashed potatoes and gravy, a more marbled and flavorful cut might be in order.  A Rib Roast (I would not put gravy on this), a Top Sirloin Petite Roast, Tri-tip or a Sirloin Tip Roast would be good and flavorful.  For a sandwich that say might be open faced with gravy on it, or a roast beef sandwich which might have mayo, mustard and cheese to add flavor, maybe a lesser cut like an Eye of Round cut very thin so it is very tender!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

SmokinHandyman

• Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 10:54:55 AM »

I was thinking Sirloin Tip Roast
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 11:18:00 AM »

Back in my younger days I used to have a party every 4th of July and I would do a Prime Rib roast on the rotisserie.

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 12:32:35 PM »

It was outstanding, basted in it's own juices as it turned.

I don’t want to seem contentious, but I’m not a believer.

Meat holds quite a lot of water.  Water and fat don’t mix. 

The renderings might also wash off much of the rub that was applied.

But…sometimes melted fat that hits the heat source below smokes back up and adds flavor to the meat.

My  :2cents:.  A lot of people have a different opinion.   ;D
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 12:55:00 PM »

When I do a pork butt, prime rib roast or brisket flat on my rotisserie there is a lot less mess than when I don't use the rotisserie.  This has to do with the juices rolling round and round instead of dropping off.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 01:32:43 PM »

I've done a standing rib roast on my Kamado with a rotisserie.  It was outstanding, basted in it's own juices as it turned.  My problem is my SWMBO doesn't like as rare as I do.  Consequently, the best I could manage with her around was med.  Still juicy and good but not rare like I like.  Happy spouse, happy house. ::)

A way of enjoying wonderfully cooked meat when someone else wants it in the cooked more category is to cook it as you like. Slice off what the other person wants and nuke it to their liking. 

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 07:18:30 AM »

I got a choice grade sirloin tip roast from Sam's Club and I will be doing this in a few days.  I have been searching for time and temperature recommendations.  I have read several recipes and they call for a wide range of  smoking temperatures and doneness temperatures.  I will be doing this on my rotisserie and and I will dry brine it overnight.  Besides SPG what else can I use for seasoning?

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 10:58:46 AM »

I got a choice grade sirloin tip roast from Sam's Club and I will be doing this in a few days.  I have been searching for time and temperature recommendations.  I have read several recipes and they call for a wide range of  smoking temperatures and doneness temperatures.  I will be doing this on my rotisserie and and I will dry brine it overnight.  Besides SPG what else can I use for seasoning?

I have come to really like Kinders Buttery Steak House seasoning, will be using it on some ribeyes that will be done on the flat top this afternoon. Used it on pork chops the other week it was great on them. is also good on baked potato or in mashed.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 11:13:47 AM »

Excellent choice in cut!  I want my roast beef just like my steak if I am slicing it thin.  I pull mine at 125° and it usually end up at 135-140°.  I never worry about seasoning before cooking cuz I am going to season when I eat!

I got a choice grade sirloin tip roast from Sam's Club and I will be doing this in a few days.  I have been searching for time and temperature recommendations.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 12:33:46 PM »

I have come to really like Kinders Buttery Steak House seasoning, will be using it on some ribeyes that will be done on the flat top this afternoon. Used it on pork chops the other week it was great on them. is also good on baked potato or in mashed.

I have this and tried it once on steaks and we did not care for it.  But we try it again being we have it.  Being we both love garlic I know I want plenty of it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 12:36:53 PM by reubenray »

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2021, 01:06:02 PM »

I got a choice grade sirloin tip roast from Sam's Club

My experience with sirloin tip roast is that they tend to be tough when cooked to low temperature. Slicing thin helps but I sous vide at 132° for 24-36 hours, cool/refrigerate before smoke and smoke to 130-132°.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2021, 01:22:18 PM »

What type of garlic is the best to use.  I have garlic salt, garlic powder and minced garlic.  Which type is the best to use?

Also what temperature should my smoker be at - low and slow or hot and fast?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 01:24:07 PM by reubenray »

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 02:10:23 PM »

Significant difference between tri tip and sirloin tip. Tri tip thin sliced cross grain is quite tender, not necessarily so with sirloin tip.  :2cents:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 11:13:14 AM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up