Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Nov 2020
  • I had six pounds of hamburger in the fridge that I needed to cook off and didn't feel like making the one or two dishes that I planned to use it in so I used some of it to make enchiladas for the first time.  I used flour instead of corn tortillas because I prefer flour.  I cooked off some onions and threw that in with the hamburger, a half can of Old El Paso enchilada sauce, and a half bag of some shredded Mexican cheese by Old El Paso as the filling.  Filled and rolled up 6 medium size tortillas.  Into the greased pan and topped with a can and a half of sauce and about 3/4 bag of shredded cheese and then into the preheated 375° oven.  I only left them in for 10 minutes.  Not sure if the cheese would have browned had I let them in longer.  Gotta say, I enjoyed them.  Will make to containers with two enchiladas in each for leftovers and put them in the freezer.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Nov 2020
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #3 by texasbrew on 09 Nov 2020
  • Those look really good!
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Nov 2020
  • I think next time that I am going to put some of the hamburger filling mixture on top of the already stuffed enchiladas before topping with sauce and cheese.
  • #5 by BigDave83 on 09 Nov 2020
  • i bought some sauce, the same as you used. I want to try to make some, maybe make up some chicken ones for the GF. SV some breasts 152 for 3 hours then shred.

Glad to hear they turned out good, make me more confident in making some.
  • #6 by Bentley on 10 Nov 2020
  • There is the Enchirito!  Takes me back to 1980 and my work days at Taco Bell!  They look good!
  • #7 by cookingjnj on 10 Nov 2020
  • Looks like cheesy meaty excellence.  Thanks BBL.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Nov 2020
  • Thank Hank for the inspiration after his thread about enchiladas.  It made me see how easy they are to make.  I need to smoke them next year and see what layer of flavor that adds.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Nov 2020
  • Those look delicious. Another great filling is leftover pulled pork.

great idea
  • #10 by Free Mr. Tony on 11 Nov 2020
  • If you want to try different sauces the Frontera sauces by Rick Bayless found in pretty much any grocery store are really good.

I especially like the green versions on chicken enchiladas.
  • #11 by texasbrew on 11 Nov 2020
  • I just posted a recipe for cheese enchiladas that are the style that we get in Houston (the enchiladas are covered in an enchilada gravy instead of a sauce).
  • #12 by elenis on 13 Nov 2020
  • There is the Enchirito!  Takes me back to 1980 and my work days at Taco Bell!  They look good!

Wow Bentley, I used to love the Enchirito from Taco Bell. So many of the items I would get there aren't even on the menu any more.
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Nov 2020
  • Haha...I never ate a taco until I was in my early 20s.  My first tacos were from Taco Bell.  Imagine how I felt when I ate real tacos, burritos, and tortas when I worked in Mexico about 5-10 years later.  OMG what a difference!
  • #14 by BigDave83 on 13 Nov 2020
  • The GF always orders chicken flautas when we go out. After seeing these threads I decided to find a recipe. and try. Seems like the same thing except has a cheese sauce instead of red sauce.

I am going to make chicken enchiladas I think. I picked up a couple of can of Old  el Paso sauce.
  • #15 by Hank D Thoreau on 14 Nov 2020
  • Yummy. I am going to need to make some more. They just don't last.
Pages:
Actions