Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BigDave83 on 20 Nov 2020
  • one of the GF's friends wants to start a pizza shop, I found a nice used 208V (I think) 3 phase unit. Bakers Pride counter top double deck. I looked at their website and found a manual for one. Not sure if it is the same model. But it shows either or, now i don't know if it needs o be ordered either or or i you just pull some jumper wires out on the single phase unit.

Anyway I was looking for a converter or even instruction on building one. But everything I have come across shows a converter that seem to be used with a piece of equipment having  motor on it. There is no motor on this oven. I will try to post pictures of the connections in the manual here.

does anyone know what i would need to run this of singe phase? or am I better off searching and waiting until I find a single phase unit. Gas would be a better option but electric will be easier to get going for him currently.

Thank you.

3 wire
    https://www.screencast.com/t/cQMi6dZl95

4 Wire
    https://www.screencast.com/t/5n94GEt3Yjq

Ultimately he wants to start a trailer or truck do sell pizza and also ice cream.
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 20 Nov 2020
  • I'm no electrician, although I've done a lot of electrical work, single phase only.
    But, since no motor is involved, I'm guessing the reason for three phase is to handle the current for all the heating elements.
    If you look at one of the wires, think three times that size if it was single phase.
    Same for the circuit breaker, for example, a 3-phase breaker at 60amp per leg would require a 180amp breaker for a single phase circuit.
    Not ideal, if it even meets code.

If nobody here can help, I'd suggest going to the PizzaMaking forum.
    There are a couple people currently building out pizza restaurants there.
    You could ask your question there and maybe they could help (or ask their electricians  ;D)
    I know there are posts about the Bakers Pride ovens, but not sure if any involved electrical questions.

EDIT:  Got to thinking, why would he want to convert to single phase anyway?
             Cost of running heavier wire and bigger breaker would most likely cost more money.

• #3 by hughver on 20 Nov 2020
  • Do you have a model number?
  • #4 by BigDave83 on 20 Nov 2020
  • Do you have a model number?

It is either a P22 or P48. I believe it is a 22 though.
  • #5 by BigDave83 on 20 Nov 2020
  • I'm no electrician, although I've done a lot of electrical work, single phase only.
    But, since no motor is involved, I'm guessing the reason for three phase is to handle the current for all the heating elements.
    If you look at one of the wires, think three times that size if it was single phase.
    Same for the circuit breaker, for example, a 3-phase breaker at 60amp per leg would require a 180amp breaker for a single phase circuit.
    Not ideal, if it even meets code.

If nobody here can help, I'd suggest going to the PizzaMaking forum.
    There are a couple people currently building out pizza restaurants there.
    You could ask your question there and maybe they could help (or ask their electricians  ;D)
    I know there are posts about the Bakers Pride ovens, but not sure if any involved electrical questions.

EDIT:  Got to thinking, why would he want to convert to single phase anyway?
             Cost of running heavier wire and bigger breaker would most likely cost more money.

The building is wired single phase, the oven is 3 phase, so we are looking go single to 3 phase. He is a long ways off, but would like to get an oven and maybe start doing some stuff, so we can feed the people that are coming to help him remodel. The place is in bad shape, as it set empty for a good while, the equipment that was there I think the realtor went in and pulled it all out. with out the owners knowledge.
  • #6 by W6YJ on 20 Nov 2020
  • According to their website, they are available in either single or three phase.
    As they only draw 3600 Watts, if it is re-configured for single phase, it would need ~16 amps.
    The manual shows jumpering for either single or three phase operation.
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 21 Nov 2020
  • According to their website, they are available in either single or three phase.
    As they only draw 3600 Watts, if it is re-configured for single phase, it would need ~16 amps.
    The manual shows jumpering for either single or three phase operation.

I was looking at the wiring diagrams and saw the jumpers. The used one i found the guy says it is 3 phase, I wondered if I bought it I could reconfigure the wiring going adding jumpers or if I could figure out how to make something to run it off the single phase wiring in the building.
    It is about a 2 hour drive to where it is at. It may be wise to see if there is a serial number and then call Bakers pride and question them on how it may be wired. I had not thought of that until now.
  • #8 by WiPelletHead on 21 Nov 2020
  • Google "can a 3 phase pizza oven be converted to single phase"

You will get quite a few hits. Looks like it can be done.
  • #9 by Mikro on 21 Nov 2020
  • My  :2cents: here:
    If the oven is 3 phase and you want to use single phase, then you may need either a VFD variable frequency drive or a rotary phase converter. I am NOT an electrician, so I am not sure these would work for the oven as they are used for motor operations.
    That being said, since it is an electrical function of the temp being controlled by wattage/amperage, which may be similar to variable speed of a motor. this may equate to frequency?

Maybe contact some of the VFD manufactures and see what they say?

Just another outside of the box thought, not intended to be correct without confirmation. :)
    MK
  • #10 by W6YJ on 21 Nov 2020

• I was looking at the wiring diagrams and saw the jumpers. The used one i found the guy says it is 3 phase, I wondered if I bought it I could reconfigure the wiring going adding jumpers or if I could figure out how to make something to run it off the single phase wiring in the building.
    It is about a 2 hour drive to where it is at. It may be wise to see if there is a serial number and then call Bakers pride and question them on how it may be wired. I had not thought of that until now.

You're on the right track WRT calling Bakers Pride.
    They should confirm that it is just a matter of connecting the oven per their diagram.

• #11 by Mikro on 21 Nov 2020

• >snip<

A VFD won't help you in this case.

>snip<
    Thanks for the clarification, when I suggested the VFD I was leary that it would not work for that application. :) That would not rule out a rotary phase converter though if needed. Very expensive though. :)
    MK
  • #12 by hughver on 21 Nov 2020
  • I believe that most homes in the U.S. have two single phase 120V lines coming into the house and the two lines are out of phase with each other. Commonly referred to as 220V, it is normally used for ovens and dryers. It would be very unusual for a house to have 3 phase power since most home distribution panels are designed to accommodate 2 out of phase lines.  :2cents:
  • #13 by hughver on 21 Nov 2020
  • #14 by 1MoreFord on 21 Nov 2020
  • 3 phase power is usually 230V or 240V(or 460/480V).  Single phase is normally 208V although commonly called 220V.  Electrical nomenclature is stupid at best. :2cents:
Pages:
Actions