Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bentley on 15 Jun 2021
  • Good looking sandwich!
  • #17 by Chris__M on 16 Jun 2021
  • What is your address so I can come and visit?
    A long way to come for pulled pork!

In the UK, "BBQ" means to most people "burning burgers and sausages over charcoal". This is being unfair, as there are a lot of people doing good stuff here. But I only have two friends who know the difference, and both of them got it from me! :D

I first got into this in 2008, as a way to feed my board game group when they visited, numbers being anything from 6 to 20. A Weber grill seemed an easy solution to that. A couple of years later, I got my Traeger, and that is when I really started experimenting with low and slow.

I'm pretty relaxed about pulled pork, now - except when it refuses to come to temperature, like last night (but I took it off the grill, rested it, and it pulled like a dream anyway). I favour a Carolina sauce, with meat juices (hence cooking in a pan), mustard and cider vinegar, but I do try others occasionally.

I've been saying for a long time I wanted to master brisket, which I've tried over the years and had enough failures to wipe out the pleasure of successes (none of them complete failures - at worst, brisket that ends up being cubed and used for a very tasty casserole; but that's not brisket. :D )

For various reasons the last two years have been dull BBQ-wise, just doing safe stuff like steaks, chicken and burgers and bangers. I wanted to step up my game again, which is why I bought the new grill.

I have to say, even though my brisket came pre-brined from the butcher, I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I think another couple of these, and then I'll start working on the brine stage myself.
  • #18 by Chris__M on 16 Jun 2021
  • I'm also aware that I'm posting an awful lot at the moment - you really don't need to see every picture I take! But it is excitement at being back - both at the smoker and here. I am sure I'll calm down soon, and achieve a more leisurely rate of posting.
  • #19 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Jun 2021
  • I enjoy reading your posts and viewing your pictures.  Keep at it.
  • #20 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Jun 2021
  • Members can NEVER post to much.  I enjoy all the posts and photos!
  • #21 by Chris__M on 16 Jun 2021
  • You're going to regret saying that! :D

But thank you.
  • #22 by Chris__M on 16 Jun 2021
  • After a night and day in the fridge, the brisket has mellowed and tastes and looks much more like the pastrami it is meant to be.

But Pastrami needs rye bread, no? Here it is with some rye, mustard and more of the really nice beetroot, apple and cabbage slaw that came in my groceries yesterday.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #23 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Jun 2021
  • There is a thread about sandwiches too that you are more than welcome to post your pics into

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=6083.0
  • #24 by Chris__M on 16 Jun 2021
  • Oh, I think I need to up my sandwich game... :)
  • #25 by urnmor on 16 Jun 2021
  • Thank you for the information I looked and not sure either is available in the US
  • #26 by Bentley on 17 Jun 2021
  • Chris, since the modern sandwich is basically an English creation of John Montagu, are there sandwich shops and deli's in Britain like here?
  • #27 by Chris__M on 17 Jun 2021
  • Chris, since the modern sandwich is basically an English creation of John Montagu, are there sandwich shops and deli's in Britain like here?
    What a wonderful question! The kind of thing that makes you realise what we take for granted about our surroundings. And a subject after my own heart; and stomach.

The answer is very much, yes.

First of addressing what we Brits call a sandwich - sliced white bread around a filling, rather than burgers or hoagies...

The sandwich is still very much the lunch of the office worker or the person on the move. As such every food shop and supermarket will have a sandwich chiller cabinet filled with prepackaged sandwiches, with a variety of bread types and fillings. Everything from a very ordinary cheese and tomato or egg and cress on white bread, to quite deep filled sandwiches on fancy breads. So stores will make them inhouse, but most are bought in - sandwich making is a big business.

A step up from that, many bakers also do sandwiches, except they are more likely to make the to order, and with their own bread.

Then many cafes will offer sandwiches - also self-made, along with hot food.

In between the last two would be the tea room - a kind of cafe, but somewhere you would go for afternoon tea (or morning coffee), offering a small spread of sandwiches, small cakes or possibly scones, jam and cream.

Then you have the chains. A big chain here is "Pret" (full name "Pret a Manger") doing hot and cold drinks, snacks and sandwiches and wraps. Although a chain, a Pret sandwich is a bit special, a step up from a supermarket sandwich - Chicken, Avacado and Basil, Breakfast Egg and Bacon, Italian Prosciutto with salad - you get the idea - in a sandwich, wrap, 6inch roll or footlong.

We also have a chain call Subway, which is less special, but does subs with mainly hot fillings - Meatball Mariana, Tuna Salad, BLT...

And then finally you have the burger joints, which we don't consider sandwiches, but my American friends refer to them as, so I'll include them.

But probably, more sandwiches are sold from the supermarkets than all the others, I would guess.
  • #28 by Chris__M on 17 Jun 2021
  • I suspect, but don't know for certain, that Subway is probably an import from the US. They certainly market themselves that way.
  • #29 by Kristin Meredith on 17 Jun 2021
  • Yes, Subway is from the US and it seems you find one about every two blocks!
  • #30 by 02ebz06 on 17 Jun 2021
  • We don't (at least I don't) call burgers, or hot dogs for that matter, sandwiches either.
Pages:
Actions