Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardly worth the effort..  (Read 722 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Hardly worth the effort..
« on: January 05, 2022, 02:56:57 PM »

Hard to justify cooking your own chicken when you can get an already cooked one for 5 bucks.

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Hardly worth the effort..
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 03:05:57 PM »

The famous Costco rotisserie chicken is still located at the back of the store and is still just $4.99.  Costco says they are selling them at a loss but will resist the pressure to increase the price.

They've saved me several times when I wasn't prepared for dinner and I regularly use them in recipes that call for chicken.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

bbqking01

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 04:48:52 PM »

It’s actually easy to resist, if I know I can do one better….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 06:19:29 PM »

I prefer to eat the chicken breasts and wings and can do without the legs.  Sam's used to split their leftover rotisserie chickens into separate packages - white meat and dark meat.  If I recall correctly, I would get already cooked on the bone chicken breasts for less than$1.50/#.  It wasn't worthwhile cooking my own.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

urnmor

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 06:24:53 PM »

I agree.  I cannot remember the last time we bought one.  I found that they are good the first day but any left overs are IMO very dry

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 06:41:26 PM »

I agree.  I cannot remember the last time we bought one.  I found that they are good the first day but any left overs are IMO very dry

What are left overs ?   :rotf:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

bbqking01

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 09:39:25 PM »

What are left overs ?   :rotf:
Yes….what are left overs?

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 12:19:40 PM »

Costco also has cooked rotisserie chicken breast pieces that I have bought and used for various casseroles, it also makes a great chicken salad
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 08:46:42 PM »

Pretty tough to beat the Costco ones.  inexpensive, moist, tender and stays hot until you get home.  But you have to smell it all the way home.   :lick:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2022, 12:03:00 PM »

Pretty tough to beat the Costco ones.  inexpensive, moist, tender and stays hot until you get home.  But you have to smell it all the way home.   :lick:

When we buy the hot chicken strips, a couple don't make it home.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 10:26:28 AM by 02ebz06 »

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2022, 01:03:35 PM »

I buy them from Sam's Club a lot cheaper than it would cost me for the chicken to cook myself.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 09:20:54 PM »

The famous Costco rotisserie chicken is still located at the back of the store and is still just $4.99.  Costco says they are selling them at a loss but will resist the pressure to increase the price.

They've saved me several times when I wasn't prepared for dinner and I regularly use them in recipes that call for chicken.
They use a sl. larger and fatter chicken than other locals in Tulsa. We put the chicken in oven at 375 for another 30-45 minutes before serving and it is perfect for us, as it renders most of the fat, and crisps the skin.  They make up for their losses, by using the unsold rotisserie chcks for their Chicken Noodle Soup, Chicken Pot Pie, Chicken Salad, Taco set ups, etc.

They also make ready made ribs out of dated ribs from their meat counter.  However, their ribs are not worth the effort IMO.

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 08:47:27 AM »

I buy them from Sam's Club a lot cheaper than it would cost me for the chicken to cook myself.

My wife goes to Sam's every Saturday. Every Saturday she comes home with a partially eaten rotisserie chicken. Every. Saturday. I mean they are pretty cheap like you say.

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 01:41:22 PM »

Costco used one of the big poultry producers for their chickens in the past.  Several years ago, they started raising their own chickens for more consistency in size according to them.  I'm sure cost reduction was part of it.

I used to BBQ chicken but for $4.99 it is hardly worth it.  We get their chicken frequently and have it for one meal.  Leftovers get vacuum packed for chicken soup.  I'm the BBQ guy at our house and my wife is the soup person.  She makes fantastic chicken soup in a couple of hours with the leftovers and a Ninja Foodi.  It is better than the soup Costco sells.     

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 05:52:31 PM »

Just bought one today (in the oven now).  I noted that all the chics were smaller this time, more like the competition. Also, my wife feels they are seasoned adequately, so she is adding some common poultry seasoning and onion powder. We shall see. Just two of us, and we will get the first meal today and then it will be chicken sammies, salad, or maybe soup.  All in all, the best bang for the buck out there!
Bye the way--speaking of chicken, we tried Col. Sanders fried chicken sammy last week.  Very large fresh fried breast with mayo and pickles on a bun. One of the few chicken sandwiches that delivers a satisfying experience. Chic is processed and breaded at the warehouse. Then done fresh and hot when ordered. Mostly like their "crispy". I would like to have one with original crust, as I like that seasoning better. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up