Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me pick a cooler.  (Read 2424 times)

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
Re: Help me pick a cooler.
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 11:56:32 PM »

My son came up to visit a few weeks ago, and brought me an extra Yeti that he had. He claims that if properly pre-cooled with ice, drained, and then packed with more ice, you'll still have ice left a week later.

I have yet to try it to see if he is pulling my leg  ;D
PZ

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 12:25:20 PM »

For the prices you are talking about I would just say get a Cambro type and turn it door side up when you need to use it as a cooler!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

ArborAgent

• Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 12:26:05 PM »

For the prices you are talking about I would just say get a Cambro type and turn it door side up when you need to use it as a cooler!

I thought about that Bentley. In the end, I decided I’d get more use out of a cooler. I still might pick up a used cambro some time.
Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

DE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »

Well, I'm late to the party and the solution already purchased but...
I'm with Bentley, a great deal can be had on the Cambro types and a thanks also, I never thought of turning it on its end. Great thinking.
Now just for holding "hunks of Goodness" for a short while, Cambro makes a product that is great for that or other things as well. If you had to make a long drive to get the Prime grade Brisket at Costco for example. Here's a short bit of info and I'll attach a couple of pictures too.

Disclaimer, I'm just a backyard cook, I am retired and do not have any interest in this product other than informing others and being an owner of one.

"This Cam GoBox is designed primarily with food safety in mind and will help ensure that food stays at safe temperatures below 39.2°F or above 149°F for several hours during holding and transport. For best results, it is recommended that hot food pans be loaded between 180°F and 190°F. On average, a hot pan loaded at 188.6°F will be at 186°F after one hour, 183.9°F after two hours, 181°F after three hours, and 178°F after four hours. A cold pan loaded at 33.9°F will be at 34.1°F on average after one hour, 34.7°F after two hours, 35.2°F after three hours, and 35.8°F after four hours."
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

You can google to find out who sells these if interested.
Doug//PG1000  SI4D   EXPEDITION GRIDDLE  FIREBOARD  THERMOPEN   BLACKSTONE 22  A BRISKITARIAN!

ArborAgent

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 01:50:29 PM »

I saw these things in person. The outside is some sort of foam. I'm worried about longevity.

Granted, at those prices who really cares?

DMAXNAZ

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2018, 12:37:11 PM »

I ended up buying this one:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15639

$150 for a rotomolded cooler instead of $379 for the YETI version. Is the Yeti better? Probably. Will I notice? I doubt it.

How has this worked out for you?

ArborAgent

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2018, 01:00:55 PM »

It’s great. Very happy I bought it.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2018, 05:57:49 PM »

Internet search on RTIC coolers.  I own a Yeti and an RTIC.  RTIC is same cooler, half price.

I remember when they were twice as expensive but looking now I don't think that still the case. Which makes sense, being so similar there's no way that price difference could have lasted.  The Yeti still cost more, but is much closer in price, at least on the sites that I looked at. For example, on amazon the yeti tundra 45 is $299, while the RTIC 45 is $264. The 20 quart versions have similar relative pricing.

Not sure if RTIC went up, Yeti went down, but probably a little of both.

DMAXNAZ

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2018, 09:48:52 PM »

It’s great. Very happy I bought it.

Thanks for the feedback

Dave R.

• Using less gas.
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2018, 08:14:42 AM »

Internet search on RTIC coolers.  I own a Yeti and an RTIC.  RTIC is same cooler, half price.

Also do an Internet search for a site called Coolers On Sale.  Look at the Pelican vs. Yeti page.  I don't own a Pelican but I understand they're excellent.

I saw interesting coolers at Cabela's.
Agreed. I have the 65 RTIC and have used it and my SIL's yeti side by side on a hunting trip. The RTIC performed as well if not slightly better. At a little less than 1/2 the price of a yeti I highly recommend having a look.
Wanting to learn until the day I'm gone.

BC Buck

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2018, 10:53:47 AM »

Rtic warning,you must thoroughly inspect cooler for defects because you only get 30 day warranty. My first Rtic 45 did not seal and leaked at drain plug. You need to make sure lid has good fit when closed. One leaked air and one 60 the lid would stick closed after cooler cooled down inside. Had to use screw driver to pry open. The rubber lid keepers will not stay up like Yetis but there is a fix if you go to utube. Rope handles pull out. You will need to pull rivet, put two knots in rope and reassemble.

Dont get me wrong, I love my Rtic 45. I January they sell last years models cheap. Paid $180 for my last 45 shipped. When there was defects they payed shipping. UNLIKE YETI you can stack 12 oz cans end to end and have very little wasted space in the 45 cooler.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up