Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: This is how we spent our Friday the 13th  (Read 1392 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
This is how we spent our Friday the 13th
« on: October 14, 2017, 08:35:38 AM »

Bent and I are members of the Brandy Station Volunteer Fire Dept Aux.  The Aux raises money for the FD, primarily through cooking.  We hold a fried chicken dinner twice a year as a fund raiser.  All you can eat -- fried chicken, corn pudding, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, cole slaw, rolls, dessert and a drink.  All home made.  $12 a person -- kids under 5 are free and 5-10 are $6 (several members think we are charging too much).  The doors are open from 5 to 7 pm. 

Yesterday was the fall dinner. We served 427 people, which was over 100 more than we thought we would have based on last fall's numbers. I was there from 8:30 am to 8 pm.  We had about 7 people for most of the day and then another 6 showed up from 4 pm on.  We are a small group so it is a lot of work, but at least it was a success financially.  The tilt skillet in the final pic cooked over 900 pieces of chicken, was then cleaned and cooked all the green beans.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:50:23 AM by Kristin Meredith »

Greg1

• Using less gas.
Re: This is how we spent our Friday the 13th
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 08:48:58 AM »

That's awesome to hear!  Congrats on the great turnout, love it when all the hardwork turns out with a positive result.
Louisiana LG900 Traeger Texas Elite 34 Big Horn SRPG 1093

Jcorwin818

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • 10th SFG (Lenexa, Ks)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:06:07 AM »

Great job. :clap:
Traeger 075 Texas (USA) WSM 22" Weber Kettle Weber Spirit 310

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 09:27:41 AM »

For all you can eat, $12 doesn't seem like it's all that far out of line.  And apparently 427 other people didn't think so either.   :bbq:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 10:08:11 AM »

Nice work!  I don't think I have ever seen a piece of equipment like that tilt skillet.  For a small town, that is a very nice community center kitchen and facility.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 10:36:55 AM »

I don’t think it’s over priced at all, good turn out. Congratulations.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

DE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 10:49:35 AM »

It's a great thing you guys do, hard work, but a good good thing!
Doug//PG1000  SI4D   EXPEDITION GRIDDLE  FIREBOARD  THERMOPEN   BLACKSTONE 22  A BRISKITARIAN!

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 10:51:18 AM »

I would say $12 a plate with certain size portions maybe over priced...But you added "ALL YOU CAN EAT" :clap: I would say your spot on or even under a few  :2cents:. Then the numbers keep going up so I would say more spot on also.

My son joined our small town Volunteer fire department within the last year. Over the years on PH I have saw several folks cook for there fire departments. I need to get my nerve up to try it on there drill night sometime.

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 11:48:28 AM »

Excellent cause and $12 is cheap considering the all you can eat part.  What would someone pay if a fire was threatening their house and there was no volunteer fire department to save it?  Just asking.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 11:49:49 AM »

great job well done

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »

Nice work!  I don't think I have ever seen a piece of equipment like that tilt skillet.  For a small town, that is a very nice community center kitchen and facility.

It was all paid for by the Brandy Station Volunteer Fire Dept.  The complex has a hall that holds 300 at tables and chairs, a big commercial kitchen, two sleeping quarters for fire fighters, a nice lounge and small kitchen for the fire fighters, a meeting room for the Aux and fire fighters, and then 3 big bays for the fire engines and other equipment.  It is very top notch (although all our fire trucks are used) and I believe they paid the "mortgage" off on it about 10 years early -- due on part to the fund raising by the Aux (we have traditionally raised $50,000 per years for the VFD).

All the FD here in Culpeper County are volunteer as are most of the  EMS. There are 7 in the county and they are all mutual aid.  They each only receive $50,000 from the county per year to operate, so each dept needs to raise the rest of the money for equipment, training, mortgages, utilities on its own. Our firefighters are all volunteers -- county wide.  I am glad to be able to "help row the boat" in this small way.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 01:02:33 PM »

For all you can eat, $12 doesn't seem like it's all that far out of line.  And apparently 427 other people didn't think so either.   :bbq:

I expect to pay a bit more than restaurant prices when eating at a fundraiser.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 01:39:11 PM »

It was all paid for by the Brandy Station Volunteer Fire Dept.  The complex has a hall that holds 300 at tables and chairs, a big commercial kitchen, two sleeping quarters for fire fighters, a nice lounge and small kitchen for the fire fighters, a meeting room for the Aux and fire fighters, and then 3 big bays for the fire engines and other equipment.  It is very top notch (although all our fire trucks are used) and I believe they paid the "mortgage" off on it about 10 years early -- due on part to the fund raising by the Aux (we have traditionally raised $50,000 per years for the VFD).

All the FD here in Culpeper County are volunteer as are most of the  EMS. There are 7 in the county and they are all mutual aid.  They each only receive $50,000 from the county per year to operate, so each dept needs to raise the rest of the money for equipment, training, mortgages, utilities on its own. Our firefighters are all volunteers -- county wide.  I am glad to be able to "help row the boat" in this small way.

And the giving goes on... Well played Meredith's!  :clap:

I won a pit on the former site and donated it to the local FD. Sadly, it left a foul taste in many mouths when the district failed to post anything about its use. It's nice to see your contributions are acknowledged.  :pig:

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 02:18:42 PM »

Way to go Meredith's

Bent looks right at home in that super commercial kitchen.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 02:28:38 PM »

I expect to pay a bit more than restaurant prices when eating at a fundraiser.

I agree.  To go to the IHOP in town for a fried chicken dinner is $10.  Add a drink and dessert and you are at about $14.  Then tax (with our meals tax, that is a total of 11.5% more) and a tip and you are at $17-18 and it is not home made and not all you can eat.  So I think $12 is a good deal.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up