Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bobitis on 25 Jan 2018
  • An interesting youtube from the wabak machine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7QZleBf320
  • #2 by triplebq on 25 Jan 2018
  • very interesting indeed
  • #3 by Michael_NW on 25 Jan 2018
  • Man, those are some very sharp knives.
  • #4 by CaptJerry on 26 Jan 2018
  • That is cool.
    I think that narrator did every documentary and cigarette commercial
    In the 50s and 60s.
  • #5 by Quadman750 on 26 Jan 2018
  • I thought I knew what a sharp knife was until I watched this
  • #6 by triplebq on 26 Jan 2018

I would love to have a set of those
  • #7 by LowSlowJoe on 26 Jan 2018
  • wow... hard for me to watch without cringing...  every other scene I just kept thinking about how easy it would to slice my hand off if I were to work in a place like that.
  • #8 by pmillen on 26 Jan 2018

I would love to have a set of those

In my experience, sharpening technique and edge maintenance are more important than the individual knife.
  • #9 by pmillen on 26 Jan 2018
  • wow... hard for me to watch without cringing...  every other scene I just kept thinking about how easy it would to slice my hand off if I were to work in a place like that.

Some slaughterhouse knife work is performed extremely close to the "off" hand which is exposed to serious cuts.  Skinning a beef head is probably the worst offender.

After a few years of head-skinning, someone doing that work is likely to cut a tendon and have a stiff finger.  The stiff finger then gets in the way, increasing the likelihood of additional cuts.  It was fairly common for those so afflicted to have that offending finger surgically removed.

OSHA now requires protective gloves on some jobs.  OSHA is often maligned.  Not by me.  It took a federal agency to force the slaughterhouse companies to do the right thing.
  • #10 by ylr on 26 Jan 2018
  • If you ever see a three-fingered guy staring at the brats, just keep on walkin'........ :rotf:
  • #11 by pmillen on 26 Jan 2018
  • BTW, thanks for posting this video, Bob.  I think that everyone that eats pork should see it.  And there should be comparable videos for beef and chicken.

A lot of people don't seem to realize that some creature had to die to provide the meat on their dinner tables.

A couple of years ago I was confronted on state-owned land by a group of 8 anti-hunting activists.  They screamed at me and ran into the field to "Shoo the birds from harm."  One woman was so in my face that she couldn't have gotten any closer without removing her clothing.  I got a spittle face wash.

She was upset that I intended to kill birds.  I asked her if she ate meat.  "I get my meat from the grocery store" she replied.  I tried to tell her that someone killed that animal, but... well, she didn't seem to be listening.

So, anyway, thanks for turning me on to it.
  • #12 by jdmessner on 26 Jan 2018
  • If you ever see a three-fingered guy staring at the brats, just keep on walkin'........ :rotf:

It has probably been an hour since I read that quote, still laughing. I needed that!! As far as I am concerned, you win the internet for quote of the day!!
  • #13 by DMAXNAZ on 27 Jan 2018
  • Cool video. I ended up watching the bon appetit videos of butchering the pig and steer that followed that video. Some good videos.
Pages:
Actions