Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke and Sous Vide Tri-Tip  (Read 4483 times)

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Re: Smoke and Sous Vide Tri-Tip
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2018, 07:22:29 AM »

Man that looks excellent. I'd be all over that but would have to definitely skip the horseradish, never have liked it.
It truly does look delicious.

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 09:11:05 AM »

BBL, thanks for posting this tri tip cook.  I've really been wanting to try one.  Then last week I discovered that tri tip is sold at a new Publix near me (grocery chain making it's way into North Carolina).  I probably would not have even recognized it in the meat case if it weren't for threads like this.
Keep it up! 
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 09:26:01 AM »

Made another sandwich for dinner yesterday.  2# in vac seal in the freezer for later date.

Glad lots enjoyed my experiment.  I am pleased with the results and am not thinking about what I will do next in the sous vide.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 11:35:23 AM »

am not thinking about what I will do next in the sous vide.

If you haven't done ribs, you should give them a try. I picked up some pre-seasoned St. Louis ribs at Costco the other day. Smoked them for ~2 hours L&S, sous vide for 24 hours at 140°, dried, applied a very light glaze and then finished on the pit @ 350° for 30 minutes. I glazed them but they were excellent straight out of the sous vide.  :lick:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

ScottWood

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2018, 01:18:03 PM »

Looks great.  I have been cooking Souse Vide for a little over a year now.  I love the thing.

The great thing is that there really doesn't seem to be an upper limit on how long you can cook something.  I experimented with a thick cut round steak, which is generally a pretty tough cut of meet, and cooked it to 129 for just under 24 hours.  Did a quick reverse sear and it was not only delicious but almost cut with a fork tender.
Homemade pellet fired UDS with Smoke Daddy Hopper
Traeger Texas Elite (the big one)
Traeger Lil' Texas Pro (the small one)
Original PK Grill when I get the urge to use charcoal

Dave R.

• Using less gas.
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2018, 09:18:15 AM »

run hot tap water into the cooking vessel and let the SV stabilize at the set temperature

I always start with hot water (130°) from the tap except when I'm using the 32 Qt. cooler, it's too difficult to get tap water into a vessel that size. I fill the cooler with a hose on the back deck and let it warm and cook there.

Very true. 32 quarts of water is roughly 66 lbs. I've not needed that much capacity.... yet. LOL
Wanting to learn until the day I'm gone.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2018, 04:03:06 PM »

Did a tri-tip a few days ago. Didn't have time to smoke it first. Seasoned with Montreal Steak, SV at 133 for about 5 hours, then seared on cast iron griddle.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 06:45:31 PM by bregent »

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2018, 12:55:15 PM »

I know this is an older post but..., I am of the understanding the food should be surrounded by water. I use a rack from an old toaster oven, similar to the one in the picture below. I just flip it over so it holds the food off of the bottom so water gets completely under the food as well.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2018, 12:58:28 PM »

That pic was misleading.  It all stayed below the water surface.  I like the idea of yours with the rack though.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2018, 01:32:34 PM »

There are a variety of sous vide racks on line, I use  the ones that hold the bag(s) vertical. Here's an adjustable one that  I bought off of Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253512466933
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2018, 10:47:15 PM »

Just had some leftovers from this cook topped with some horseradish sauce on a Kaiser from Sam's Club...fabulous!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2018, 01:17:31 PM »

I thought melted pepper jack on tri-tip, not for me...but horseradish sauce...Yes!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2018, 01:41:17 PM »

I think I will be doing one of these this week or weekend.  I am all out of what I had previously cooked and froze.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2018, 02:43:16 PM »

My Uncle Boots is going to have a corneal transplant on Dec 13, so I will be in Richmond Restaurant Depot again.  Can't believe I forgot to look last month and see if they have tri-tip, sure hope I score on this trip!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

mo-kid

• Using less gas.
  • I get by with a little help from my friends.....
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2018, 09:48:15 PM »

BBL; just saw those sandwiches!!! excellent! I have been looking at this Sous Vide for several months. Any recommendations? I went up to West Virginia a few months ago and a friend did a combo cook with smoker and sous vide on a brisket, it was one of the best I've had...so my search for a sous vide has begun. thanks.
GMC daniel boone; frog mats, grill grates, SS griddle,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up