Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 38   Go Down

Author Topic: The Pizza Thread  (Read 51216 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: The Pizza Thread
« Reply #330 on: March 11, 2022, 07:08:16 PM »

I would help eat that pizza
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #331 on: March 19, 2022, 06:27:12 PM »

Using a poolish is supposed to make your dough taste better. so this is my first attempt using a poolish today.
We really liked it. However, I think that was because of the bacon and homemade Canadian bacon on top.
Had not done that combo before.

Only way to tell if using poolish is better than not using it, at least for me, would be to make one of each and just taste the crust.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #332 on: March 19, 2022, 08:20:36 PM »

That looks like a good one and the toppings sound like a good combo.

What do you for cheese? Shred your own or buy pre-shredded?

I have made Vito's poolish dough a few times. It may be the only pizza dough I have made. But I don't make it very often.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #333 on: March 19, 2022, 10:34:34 PM »

Nice and airy, have kind of given up on that unless I can get an oven that will get 900°!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #334 on: March 20, 2022, 11:16:09 AM »

That looks like a good one and the toppings sound like a good combo.

What do you for cheese? Shred your own or buy pre-shredded?

I have made Vito's poolish dough a few times. It may be the only pizza dough I have made. But I don't make it very often.

I get a shredded 50/50 of Grande Mozzarella and Provolone.
Most shredded cheese has an ant-caking agent in them and is why many shred their own.
As far as I know, Grande doesn't add it.

=============================================================================================

Nice and airy, have kind of given up on that unless I can get an oven that will get 900°!

Mine haven't been like that.
I think with the poolish I'm adding a little more yeast for same size dough ball and I think that is what opened up the crumb.
Originally 394g ball had .65g of yeast.  Modified with poolish, it is 1.14g of yeast.
I would have to go back to my original recipe and up it to 1.14g to confirm that it is why the more open crumb.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 11:23:28 AM by 02ebz06 »
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #335 on: March 21, 2022, 07:55:43 PM »

Quick question from a dough challenged pizza novice. Anyone use Boboli pizza crust and if so any utilization advice? I like pizza with thin crispy crust and this appears to be rather thick.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #336 on: March 21, 2022, 08:22:43 PM »

We have used thin prebaked crusts like Boboli. Not sure of the brand. We found some small ones, maybe 8" and make small pizzas in the air fryer. Just top as you like and bake it pretty much. In the air fryer we do 400 for 4 to 6 minutes. I have done them in the Nuwave oven also. I have a breville smart oven we have put the larger thin crusts in for a while and then fire the broiler to do the tops if needed.

If you are really dough challenged, I know the feeling, buy frozen bread dough. Thaw some and just roll it out to your liking. Use a fork or pizza docker to put holes in the crust to help keep it from getting bubbles. The you can top and bake or bake it some first then top and finish.

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #337 on: March 21, 2022, 10:56:30 PM »

Another idea for the dough challenged is the pillsbury refrigerated ones. They offer a thin or thicker one. Our local store carries another brand as well.

When you want to try making your own again the Ooni app for the phone is really helpful. I have an Ooni pellet pizza oven, but even without it, you can enter how long you want to proof and at what temperature and all and it changes the ingredient weights accordingly.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #338 on: March 22, 2022, 11:10:28 AM »

Some Food Service warehouse will sell you frozen pizza dough balls.
Used to get them when I lived in Cincinnati.
Some pizza places will even sell them to you.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 01:51:21 PM by 02ebz06 »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #339 on: March 22, 2022, 12:58:02 PM »

Some Food Service warehouse will sell you frozen pizza dough balls.
Use to get them when I lived in Cincinnati.
Some pizza places will even sell them to you.

Local grocery chain Wegman's sells fresh and frozen dough balls.  I have not tried any yet, but have seen them the last time I was there.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #340 on: March 22, 2022, 01:57:39 PM »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I made the pizza last night in the home oven at 450° using my 28# steel. It turned out surprisingly good, it was thin and very crisp, even the bottom. I used OTC pizza sauce and a variety of toppings. Do most of you make your own sauce? I used RAO sauce and really liked it.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #341 on: March 22, 2022, 02:19:38 PM »

I just like EVOO & minced garlic for sauce, so I guess I do make my own.  Sometimes I will add those 2 things to some ranch dressing for a white sauce.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #342 on: March 22, 2022, 02:20:42 PM »

I make my own. It's a cooked sauce.  Many use a sauce that isn't cooked.
Can't say that it's better, but I like making my own foods when I can.
Saves a bit of money too.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #343 on: March 25, 2022, 09:40:08 AM »

My sauce is just canned crushed tomatoes, chopped garlic, a little salt, olive oil, and dry Italian seasoning.

I mix up huge batches of it and freeze individual containers for pizza days. I just pull a container out in the morning and it's defrosted and ready to go when it's time to bake. 

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #344 on: March 25, 2022, 11:53:41 AM »

My sauce is just canned crushed tomatoes, chopped garlic, a little salt, olive oil, and dry Italian seasoning.

I mix up huge batches of it and freeze individual containers for pizza days. I just pull a container out in the morning and it's defrosted and ready to go when it's time to bake.

I freeze ingredients like that as well.
Here's Sausage, Sauce, and Cheese for tomorrows pizza.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 38   Go Up