Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: wood flavor  (Read 2454 times)

Chashub

• Using less gas.
wood flavor
« on: February 25, 2018, 06:06:51 PM »

I've had my BGW Grand Slam for 10 months now and I love it. I have burnt through a lot of pellets of various species of wood. For the life of me, I cannot discern between the different species as others have also stated. With that being said, I am now on my 4th 40 pound bag of hardwood heating pellets purchased from Menards for $3.79 plus tax. They are great! They produce minimal ash, they heat quickly and as you can see, they are very economical. Just my 2 cents worth!
Charlie

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: wood flavor
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 07:19:58 PM »

Awesome! When you find something that works for you go with it.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 09:31:45 PM »

The only time I smell or taste the smoke is when I first turn it on as its coming up to temp. I can't tell a difference but it sure smells good
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 09:41:43 PM »

I've had my BGW Grand Slam for 10 months now and I love it. I have burnt through a lot of pellets of various species of wood. For the life of me, I cannot discern between the different species as others have also stated. With that being said, I am now on my 4th 40 pound bag of hardwood heating pellets purchased from Menards for $3.79 plus tax. They are great! They produce minimal ash, they heat quickly and as you can see, they are very economical. Just my 2 cents worth!
Charlie

What types of pellets have you used?  I can definitely tell the difference between Lumberjack 100% hickory and competition blends or Pit Boss Hickory which is 60% maple and 40% hickory.

I recently tried Lumberjack mesquite blend and I am not a fan.  Too bitter for my tastes.

I feel like the Lumberjack Pecan blend had a distinct flavor.

I have also tried the premium hardwood heating pellets from Menards and primarily use them for high heat grilling.  They work fine.

Over the years I've learned that people's perception of smoke really varies.  And I've also noticed that if my clothes/hair is really smokey, I can't taste it as much in the meat.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 10:58:08 AM »

Perhaps I may be called insensitive relative to pellet smoke... As many others, I can't detect any difference that different species of pellets produce in the food, smoked or cooked at higher temperatures. That was with six different kinds of pellets...I have been

using a "premium hardwood blend"(non food grade) for years with superb results and low cost.  If I had to pay a high price for so called food grade pellets, I would be out of the game.  Both the pellet manufacturer and the wood source are local and reputable.

Ross77

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »

I don’t go through enough pellets for the cost to have a big impact. I use maybe 12 bags a year give or take. I buy Lumberjack for $16/bag.

What brand of heating pellets do you use?  I’ve used Indeck with decent results. Although I emailed them recently to ask what wood they typically use and if I should use them to cook with and they said do not use them. But, they did recently introduce BBQ pellets. 

A couple months ago their website said it was ok to use heating pellets for cooking. They’ve changed their tune now that they offer a higher margin product.

Andygev35

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
    • Grilla Owners Forum
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 02:52:08 PM »

They’ve changed their tune now that they offer a higher margin product.
This... exactly... LOL.  They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they did anything else.  I'd bet my next paycheck that they haven't changed a thing with the heating pellets.  Gotta promote Ol' Hick though...   ::)

Edit:  Whoops, Ol' Hick is Energex... My bad.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:54:33 PM by Andygev35 »
Founder of grilla-forums.com, a forum for owners of Grilla Grills and people looking for information about them.

Ross77

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »

Indeck makes Grillers Gold BBQ pellets.

Lumberjack also makes heating pellets by the way.

Canadian John

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 03:32:29 PM »

I don’t go through enough pellets for the cost to have a big impact. I use maybe 12 bags a year give or take. I buy Lumberjack for $16/bag.

What brand of heating pellets do you use?  I’ve used Indeck with decent results. Although I emailed them recently to ask what wood they typically use and if I should use them to cook with and they said do not use them. But, they did recently introduce BBQ pellets. 

A couple months ago their website said it was ok to use heating pellets for cooking. They’ve changed their tune now that they offer a higher margin product.
Ross-My pellets are: Gildale Farms, St Marys, Ontario.  $5.50/40 lbs.

dk117

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 10:29:47 AM »

I'm a bear mountain guy.  I can certainly tell the difference between apple/cherry vs mesquite/hickory.    Just to throw it out there ... heating pellets ... well call me cautious, but I wouldn't be using those in my pit.  I'm also looking at cookinpellets.com for a premium option for special cooks. 

DK

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 11:34:57 AM »

Ross-My pellets are: Gildale Farms, St Marys, Ontario.  $5.50/40 lbs.

I made a trip to Gildale farsms a couple years ago... on my way back home from a trip to Niagra Falls...    Very nice people...   Funny was when I crossed the border into Michigan, I had to try and explain what the 6 bags of wood pellets were... only thing I declared...   

I have a source locally that I can get "Dusty Dale's BBQ" wood pellets... for $7.50 or at least one time I could get them at that price.

I myself have used heating pellets at various times, but these days I tend to buy in bulk and get reasonable prices on 100% single species wood type pellets...   For me the little extra cost to get the single species wood products is worth the money...   

Now, if my only decent source of mixed species "BBQ" wood pellets was like $0.50/lb or higher, I'd go back to burning heating pellets in the blink of an eye.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Canadian John

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 02:47:48 PM »

Thanks Mike for the info..  So Traeger isn't alone at doing this.  Just love all these pellet tidbits.

ZCZ

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 04:33:52 PM »

Menard's is a great price . . . as long as they don't have any ground up old furniture in them with shellac, etc.  The contents might be a little suspect on those.
Just a thought.  My guess is they are made from all the leftovers laying around.

Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

bregent

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 09:15:45 PM »

Thanks Mike for the info..  So Traeger isn't alone at doing this.  Just love all these pellet tidbits.

Are you referring to them using base wood plus flavor wood?  Most pellet grill fuel is done like that.

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 11:14:11 PM »

I don't use heating pellets, If you choose to, so be it. I live about 15 miles from the Marth wood pellet plant. When I used to haul U.S.Mail I would go by Menszner Lumber where they make hardwood flooring. Marth would always have trailers there to pick up the scraps. No telling whats in those pellets. Sand from sandpaper. glue ETC, No thank you.

I usually buy bulk when getting cooking pellets so the price can be pretty good. I feed my Bride & GKids. I want  to stick with food grade pellets. For me its worth the peace of mind.  :2cents: The Marth heating pellets go in the Harman pellet stove.
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up