Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: FINALLY -- the Return of College Football  (Read 11466 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: FINALLY -- the Return of College Football
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2019, 07:34:27 AM »

Pretty disappointing college football playoff games this season and a lot of the bowl games too.  Maybe the top 4 go to the playoffs and then the bowl games should be 5 v 6, 7 v 8, etc to see if the games become any better.  Do away with the commitment of #8 in Big 10 goes to X bowl game system they have now.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2019, 08:08:47 AM »

I don't follow football very closely but I kinda' know the rules.

If a kickoff goes 10 yards, it's "on side" and, like a fumble, it's anyone's ball to recover.  So, if a kickoff goes into my end zone and I walk away, letting it lay, can't the kicking team recover it in the end zone for a touchdown?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:11:27 AM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2019, 09:40:54 AM »

If a kickoff goes 10 yards, it's "on side" and, like a fumble, it's anyone's ball to recover.  So, if a kickoff goes into my end zone and I walk away, letting it lay, can't the kicking team recover it in the end zone for a touchdown?

Rules changed recently where they get ball on 35 yard line or something like that so they no longer have to catch it or they can signal fair catch.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2019, 10:22:54 AM »

OK I think I understand it know. If the ball crosses goal line(neutral zone) without touching any member of the receiving team then it is a dead ball. The Kicking team may get the ball(onside kick) after it travels more then 10yrds (or touches player on receiving team) but not after it crosses the goal line(neutral zone)unless it is touched by receiving team.. Rule 6-3-1. I think???? :help: Need a lawyer to read it...

https://www.ruletool.info/ncaa-rule-6-kicks/3/

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2019, 10:29:44 AM »

Interesting.  I knew about the fair catch inside the 25 yard line rule change because of the NCAA's press release–

"The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved altering football’s kickoff rules to allow the receiving team to fair catch the kick inside the 25-yard line and have it result in a touchback.

"The Football Rules Committee made the proposal to continue efforts to increase the number of touchbacks during kickoffs since fewer injuries occur during kickoffs that result in touchbacks than on kickoffs that are returned. All other aspects of the kickoff play will remain the same.

"The new rule is the latest in a series of changes the committee has made in recent years in hopes of making the play safer."

But note that they wrote, "All other aspects of the kickoff play will remain the same."  So it didn't appear that the ball in the end zone could be abandoned.

EDIT:  Punctuation.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:42:42 AM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2019, 10:37:24 AM »

Interesting.  I knew about the fair catch inside the 25 yard line rule change because of the NCAA's press release–

"The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved altering football’s kickoff rules to allow the receiving team to fair catch the kick inside the 25-yard line and have it result in a touchback.

"The Football Rules Committee made the proposal to continue efforts to increase the number of touchbacks during kickoffs since fewer injuries occur during kickoffs that result in touchbacks than on kickoffs that are returned. All other aspects of the kickoff play will remain the same."

"The new rule is the latest in a series of changes the committee has made in recent years in hopes of making the play safer."

But note that they wrote, "All other aspects of the kickoff play will remain the same."  So it didn't appear that the ball in the end zone could be abandoned.

I think that is the way it always has been. rule3-2-1 A is not highlighted so I think it didn't change it was a old rule. I just think the players understand the kickoff rules better with learning the new rules so you see it more often. I thought the same thing at the start of the year. I was yelling at the TV because my team just walked away from a ball in the end zone on a kickoff...

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2019, 01:33:32 PM »

I never thought I would get old enough to say it sure is a different game. 

In 6 years of football, my helmet came off inadvertently once, and that was in warm ups. 

Maybe I had several and just did not know it, but I don't ever remember having a concussion, but again, in all seriousness, maybe it happened and no one even thought to check to see if it did.  But maybe the game has become so much rougher.  I do remember one play that it might have happened on...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2019, 01:48:23 PM »

I never thought I would get old enough to say it sure is a different game. 

In 6 years of football, my helmet came off inadvertently once, and that was in warm ups. 

Maybe I had several and just did not know it, but I don't ever remember having a concussion, but again, in all seriousness, maybe it happened and no one even thought to check to see if it did.  But maybe the game has become so much rougher.  I do remember one play that it might have happened on...

I know I've had at least 3 and maybe 4.  Two of them were playing basketball.  I was undercut and landed on my head on the outdoor blacktop court.  The other 1 or 2 were playing football.  I came up for a tackle as a CB and got a knee to the temple and was out cold.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2020, 02:54:53 PM »

Yesterday, North Dakota State University won their record eighth FCS National Championship (in nine seasons).  They also won five NCAA Division II titles from 1983-90.  That kind of dominance may not be good for the division.
Paul

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2020, 03:06:32 PM »

Yesterday, North Dakota State University won their record eighth FCS National Championship (in nine seasons).  They also won five NCAA Division II titles from 1983-90.  That kind of dominance may not be good for the division.

Didn't there coach take a job at a D1 school this year or last year?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2020, 06:56:50 PM »

Yeah, Chris Klieman, 68–6 (.919) at North Dakota State, is now the Head Coach at Kansas State University.  2019 was his first season at K State.  I think they went 8-5 overall, 5-4 in their Big 12 conference.
Paul

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2020, 08:23:45 PM »

Yeah, Chris Klieman, 68–6 (.919) at North Dakota State, is now the Head Coach at Kansas State University.  2019 was his first season at K State.  I think they went 8-5 overall, 5-4 in their Big 12 conference.

K State’s claim to fame this last year was for knocking off number 1 Oklahoma.
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2020, 04:07:21 PM »

Based on how MLB is having challenges right now, I find it harder to believe there will be a Fall college football season this year.  Hopefully, they could still play in the Spring if they have to postpone the Fall play and things improve before Spring.  Seems like most of the smaller college leagues have already kicked the can down the road with only the leagues that make the big money delaying their decisions.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2020, 04:34:25 PM »

I cant see any Division going forward.  Although Kristin read that Mayberry schools will have Fall sports starting in Winter, or something like that.  Football in the snow, now that would have been very interesting for me, i only played one game in the rain, and that was only one quarter.  So that would really have been a different experience.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #179 on: July 28, 2020, 04:55:15 PM »

Will this mean LSU will the National Champions this year also by default?  :lick:
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up