Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: For those who wrap . . .  (Read 1421 times)

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
For those who wrap . . .
« on: December 06, 2017, 12:42:15 AM »

In a lot of ways I still see myself as a newbie, even though I've been pellet smoking for over 6 years. During that time I had adopted a KISS approach, part of which was to not wrap any of my cooks. In hindsight, I think it was in response to my learning curve on my Traeger Junior; I was having trouble enough just trying to keep my pit temps constant - why would I want to introduce any other complicating factor? I'm not saying it was right, it's just how I was thinking.

Fast forward to the present and my glory days with a MAK 2 Star. Suddenly, I feel less inhibited and much more willing to try different techniques and methods. "Should I wrap?" is no longer a definitive yes or no, but an option to include as I plan my next cook. My brisket cook of this past weekend represents a major step for me, as I feel like I've finally landed on my feet with a solid brisket that didn't need to be turned into chopped beef, and part of that success I think was due in part to wrapping it with butcher paper at some point during the cook.

So, all that to get to my question: for those who wrap pork butt, do you ever use butcher paper instead of foil? Or does using butcher paper not provide a tight enough seal around the meat to accomplish it's purpose?

I'll be cooking two butts this weekend and I wanted to try it on one of them to see the difference, and was curious if anyone here has tried it, yet.

Thanks!
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: For those who wrap . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:58:50 AM »

I've wrapped and not wrapped briskets, and pork butts. The main difference is the bark. Less bark when wrapping. As far a BP or foil, I use foil more often, because it's what I usually have on hand. I do find the bark doesn't suffer as much using BP, but if I'm doing PP, I don't think it really matters as everything gets mixed together.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 07:10:09 AM »

I almost always wrap butts in foil once they hit the stall.  I then cook them to about 203° and pull off the smoker.  I usually cook at 250°-275° grate temp.  Once I pull, I put the butts in a full size pan, unwrap to less the juice fall in the pan, pull the meat and stir it in the juice, and eat.

I used foil because I did not have butcher paper.  I have a roll of paper now, and may use that on one of my next cooks.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 11:26:06 AM »

During my years of playing with fire on a pit I have wrapped in foil, butcher paper, and gone naked. My personal experience is you really need to try each method for yourself to see what works best for you. If I had to pick one method over another I would choice butcher paper. To me butcher paper gives me a mix added moisture and a faster cook compared to not wrapping. I like your idea cooking 2 butts and trying them in different ways.

Now the only problem with using butcher paper is you tend to have to purchase such a large roll that you will have butcher paper for quite some time.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:15:36 PM by triplebq »
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:00:20 PM »

Where does one typically buy butcher paper, a restaurant supply store?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

triplebq

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »

A local restaurant supply store would have it. I ordered mine from Webrestaurantstore. Not sure where you are located but if you are near some fellow Pellet Fans see if you could borrow some to try.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 01:12:18 PM »

I bought on Amazon like I do almost everything else.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 05:48:10 PM »

You want unlined butcher paper, no wax etc.  I bought my roll on amazon.  Pay attention to the with of the roll, you can buy it in many sizes.  I went with 2', so I can wrap anything easy enuff. 
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 07:07:42 PM »

I don't wrap pork anymore. When I did foil worked better than b paper.
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

ksupaul

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 07:59:19 PM »

Also don’t wrap butts any longer. Need to try the BP on brisket. Just never think about getting any till I am cooking.

urnmor

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 08:31:29 PM »

Just curious.  Isn't wrapping during the cook especially with foil just a form of steaming as all of the moisture stays in the packet

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 09:01:36 PM »

Yes it is, and why I do it on some meats!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:06:35 AM »

Now the only problem with using butcher paper is you tend to have to purchase such a large roll that you will have butcher paper for quite some time.

Ha! Tell me about it . . .  ::)  Anyone need a few yards of butcher paper? Cuz I have some to spare.

I also ordered it from webrestaurantstore. I got a 2' roll, but having used it on brisket I'm wishing I had ordered the 3'. There's not much paper left on the sides once the brisket goes into the center!

I will experiment this weekend and post the results. One butt in foil and one in paper. I've always not wrapped and ended up with pulled pork that I thought should be more moist. Plus I've always smoked at lower temps trying to get more smoke and bark, which of course results in longer cooking times and dryer meat. Like I said, I'm in the mood now to try new things and see where it takes me.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

triplebq

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 09:47:13 AM »

Ha! Tell me about it . . .  ::)  Anyone need a few yards of butcher paper? Cuz I have some to spare.

I also ordered it from webrestaurantstore. I got a 2' roll, but having used it on brisket I'm wishing I had ordered the 3'. There's not much paper left on the sides once the brisket goes into the center!

LOL I did the same thing.

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 04:01:28 PM »

I will experiment this weekend and post the results. One butt in foil and one in paper. I've always not wrapped and ended up with pulled pork that I thought should be more moist. Plus I've always smoked at lower temps trying to get more smoke and bark, which of course results in longer cooking times and dryer meat. Like I said, I'm in the mood now to try new things and see where it takes me.

There is a video that shows how Franklin does it, pretty cool.  Never tried it cuz been a long time since I needed to cook a brisket.
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up