Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pitts and Spitts pellet grill  (Read 4653 times)

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Pitts and Spitts pellet grill
« on: January 07, 2018, 04:29:01 PM »

I have to admit, this new pellet grill has my attention! Wondering if anyone here has experience, thoughts or opinions on it?

http://pittsandspitts.com/pellet-grills/

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
Re: Pitts and Spitts pellet grill
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 04:33:26 PM »

My biggest thought is why did you post this in the mak forum?  :)

What do you like about it?
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

rwalters

Pitts and Spitts pellet grill
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 05:05:56 PM »

Oops... didn’t mean to do it in the MAK forum...lol. Not really sure what has my attention. Probably the construction and huge cooking surface. I love my 2 Star. Hands down one of the best cooking machines I have ever used. With that said, every once in awhile a bit more room would be nice. Can’t imagine ever leaving MAK behind...so I guess you could say that I am just curious to learn a bit about this cooker.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:30:36 PM by rwalters »

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 05:59:18 PM »

Offset fire pot, large cooking space, high upper grate...am seeing big temp differentials.
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 06:19:00 PM »

I saw an earlier version of these that from what I can remember was much less attractive. That's a really nice looking smoker.

silverbullet

• I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 08:20:54 PM »

I'm not sure if the offset fire pot would be an issue. Louisiana has been making them for years. Nice looking Pit! although this pellet fan has grown to liking split grates.
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 08:35:04 PM »

I like the casters. I guess you'd have to fire one up to see if the temps varied much across the grate. I'm not quite sure why you'd want to put a quarter turn ball valve on the grease outlet . . .
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 11:18:56 AM »

If I wanted a rather large pellet grill... with massively thick steel, the Maverick 2000, looks like a really nice grill.  I love the oval shape, which gives you a ton of headroom... 

In general, I don't need a pellet grill that large, and I'm also not completely sold on the merits of using 7 and 10 gauge steel on a pellet grill...   It must take a lot of energy just to get that steel up to a stable temperature. But then, it probably wouldn't rust through for about 200 years, even if I completely neglected it.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

texasbrew

• Using less gas.
  • Atascocita, Tx
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 10:13:01 PM »

It appears that pellet grills have caught the attention of some of the bigger pit builders in Houston.  Gator Pits is also building a pellet cooker now.

http://www.gatorpit.net/pellet-cooker-2036.html

It looks like both builders are purchasing some sort of off the shelf  hopper/controller/auger/burnpot assembly and integrating it into their pits.

dk117

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 02:54:44 PM »

It appears that pellet grills have caught the attention of some of the bigger pit builders in Houston.  Gator Pits is also building a pellet cooker now.

It looks like both builders are purchasing some sort of off the shelf  hopper/controller/auger/burnpot assembly and integrating it into their pits.
thanks, that's an impressive pit. 

DK

verapx

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 07:48:21 PM »

I recently got the GP2436PC and so far, so good. It holds temps really well even at sub 25oF weather.

verapx

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 08:09:24 PM »

I've only cooked on it twice so far. I will try and get some pics and give my thoughts on it. Gator has a youtube video of my PC but I can't figure out how to link it. Of course it's very well made and huge compared to my Q450. It is 24" instead of 20" which gives me all the room I wanted. I will be using it for BBQ'ing and not grilling steaks. I've run it at 325 so far with no issues in about the coldest weather I'm going to have in Louisiana.

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 08:15:33 AM »

Hmmm... and if you want one in stainless steel... they can do that...

I guess this is the Maverick 850 , I think I heard or saw that the price would be like 3K... a bit more then I personally would spend on a grill, but it does look nice.

Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

stljrs

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 12:02:53 AM »

Former Pellethead.  Have a GMG and might upgrade.  Was going between Yoder and Blazn but wow these look really nice.

P&S looks like a great grill with very nice features at a premium price.  They dumped pellet pro and appear to have switched to a P&S branded Roanoke controller with their own fabricated hopper.  They claim this was 3 years in the making.  Since the stack is on the right and the burn box is slightly offset left on a large grill, not sure that is a bad thing and they have a welded in baffle on the right also which has to be for heat management.  Clearly there was some thought put into this.  There is a FB post on one of the pellet groups showing it cook 9 racks of ribs evenly with 6 spread on the bottom and 3 on top.  Pretty impressive.  A couple of people have posted saying it has pretty even temps across even at higher temps like in the 350-400 range.

It has some nice features like the pull out shelves including the bottom shelf and the pellet dump which is good since the hopper holds 35 lbs.  The lid is sealed with high temp felt and the warranty is pretty good.  WiFi and more options coming soon.  Wish there were more users commenting on the pros and the cons.  But here is another experienced offset fabricator in business over 30 years jumping into the pellet market with what appears to be a quality US made product.  Let's hope it translates to the pellet world with minimal growing pains.
Pages: [1]   Go Up