Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Beef Jerky  (Read 3976 times)

BeerBeerQue

Re: Beef Jerky
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 10:51:01 PM »

A couple things I do that I don’t think were mentioned yet are I usually place the beef in the freezer for a couple hours so it semi-freezes. Makes for slicing and trimming so much easier. I also slice against the grain, makes for a better chew. I usually marinate for 24-36hrs. I also pat the marinated meat with a paper towel before placing on grill. They seem to cook more evenly for me that way. Still a lot of flavor. Depending on how my pit is running at “150 F” I can expect 2-4hrs
I too have used London broil and most of the rounds. For some reason I prefer bottom round with a sweet & spicy teriyaki/sriracha marinade:

1/2 c Worcestershire
3/4 c soy
1/4 c br. sugar
1/2 c wh. sugar
1 tsp Black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 c sriracha (add more or less for heat)
Optional- red pepper flakes
Will be enough to marinate about 4lbs

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 11:18:14 PM »

If you don't have a slicer to make uniform cuts, try asking your butcher or the meat dept in your grocery store to slice it for you. I've done that on several occasions and they usually do not charge to do so. So nice seeing your eye of round cut to uniform thickness . . . :clap:
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 07:40:58 AM »

I only had a small cut of meat when I made some jerky in my dehydrator this weekend.  I didn't bother with freezing the meat.  I used a serated paring knife and it worked fine on raw beef.  But, if you are doing a whole roast the semi freezing is the way to go if you can't get the butcher or local meat dept to slice for you.

I have also found that regardless of the type of wet marinade used, we had better results if we sprinkled some sort of rub that complimented the marinade on top of the meat before smoking.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 02:08:18 PM »

I have been told that 150-160 is ideal, but my Memphis only goes to 180.  I've done several batches at that temp and its very good.  I knew someone who's pit only went down to 200 and he did a lot of jerky and was happy with it.  I just think you are getting a little more cooked and dried vs. just dried.  I've never had it side by side so I don't know the down side.
2011 SS Memphis Pro

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 09:17:48 AM »

I have been told that 150-160 is ideal, but my Memphis only goes to 180.  I've done several batches at that temp and its very good.  I knew someone who's pit only went down to 200 and he did a lot of jerky and was happy with it.  I just think you are getting a little more cooked and dried vs. just dried.  I've never had it side by side so I don't know the down side.

Far as I know, Memphis uses a Roanoke Electronics controller....  and...  there are parameters that can be adjusted , if you find your way into hidden setup menu... one such parameter is the minimum set temperature...  Now, I wouldn't start tweaking these settings unless you are pretty sure what your doing, but... I'm confident a person could tweak things to get it to run bellow 180F in the cooler months of the year...  I don't own a grill with this type of controller... but have read a little about such things.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

GrillinGlen

• Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 03:42:29 PM »

Being that the controller has a higher IQ than I do...I think not.  besides I'm perfectly happy with the jerky it produces.  But I do appreciate the tip
2011 SS Memphis Pro

KNIGHTDAD

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 12:23:39 AM »

I have a few of my own recipes, but I’ve been known to use Hi Mountain from time to time. They are always consistent with great flavor. These are always a good starting point. You can find them at many chain grocery stores, sporting goods stores, Walmart, even Menards for $6-8. They are all inclusive and usually much cheaper than purchasing ingredients (if you don’t already have) for most homemade recipes.

Rydes84

• Using less gas.
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »

Well took the plunge and I am happy with the first try. Picked up a eye of round and top round at the local meat market along with a package of Hi Mountain regular seasoning. Learned a lot with the cutting and will def borrow a buddies slicer the next time around. All told ended up with 6 vac bags in storage and a ziplock I’m desperately trying to ration  ;D

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 03:40:08 PM »

much like any bbq, you will learn along the way and settle on recipes and processes that work for you
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

wilpark

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 09:48:34 PM »

Google Dukes Jerky Recipe and you'll get a nice basic recipe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 05:36:33 PM »

Does anyone smoke it at 110f or so for 4 hours then move to the dehydrator at 110 or so till dry?  It's not 'cooking the meat' it's more an old style way of dehydrating like the old days.

I do in my ol' smoker with just a bit of heat and fans to remove moisture.  Then to the inside dehydrator to finish.  My mixes do have cure.
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 05:40:57 PM »

Does anyone smoke it at 110f or so for 4 hours then move to the dehydrator at 110 or so till dry?  It's not 'cooking the meat' it's more an old style way of dehydrating like the old days.

I do in my ol' smoker with just a bit of heat and fans to remove moisture.  Then to the inside dehydrator to finish.  My mixes do have cure.

No, I don't have any smokers that get that low.  Maybe my MAK in the side chamber on a nice day.  I did buy the dehydrator with the intent of using it to finish the jerky dehydration after being on the smoker first.  I think I can get more finished in less time that way.

ScottWood

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 06:40:26 PM »

I did a lot of jerky between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  It was my own fault that I had to though, I let some of my family members try some at Thanksgiving and they all wanted some.  :-)

I like center round sliced against the grain.  I find that in my bigger Traeger I can maintain about 160 pretty easy in the smoke mode but will have to tweak the P setting depending on the ambient weather.  4 hours seems to work pretty well for me.
Homemade pellet fired UDS with Smoke Daddy Hopper
Traeger Texas Elite (the big one)
Traeger Lil' Texas Pro (the small one)
Original PK Grill when I get the urge to use charcoal

slaga

Beef Jerky - My Method
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 09:59:11 AM »

•   Marinade:
o   I wish I could copy and paste the recipe here. I use a recipe that Darke posted on the other web site named “beef jerky” for the marinade, except I double the marinade compared the amount of meat to make sure all of the meat is covered with marinade. (If this line is inappropriate, mods feel free to delete it)
o   I use about 5-6 lbs of either top round or bottom round for each batch. I split the batch to make some mild and some spicy.
o   I have family members that like mild and for them I do the marinade as is.
o   I like a more spicy jerky and for me, I replace the salt with “Slap Ya Mama” cajun seasoning and then sprinkle a little crushed red pepper into the marinade.
o   I bring the marinade to a boil and let it boil mildly for about 10 minutes and then into the refrigerator for about 4 hours or so. I want the marinade relatively cold when I put the meat in it. I like to soak the meat in the marinade for 24 hours or so if I can.
•   Meat:
o   I use about 5-6 lbs of either top round or bottom round per batch.
o   I have a slight preference for top round.
•   Slicing:
o   This takes a little planning. I like the grain on the finished slices going side to side. It is much easier to take a bite that way and each bite is a little less chewy. If you like to really rip the jerky with your teeth, do the opposite of what I am about to say.
o   I tried using a knife and a slicer and I have had better luck with a knife. My slicer was a real cheap one. A better slicer might yield better results. Your results might vary.
o   I cut the roast into steaks that are about 1” to 1.25” thick, keeping in mind the grain of the meat is going from top of the steak to the bottom of each slice.
o   I freeze the steaks for about an hour. This takes a few tries to figure out the correct amount of time. If it is too frozen, you will have difficulty cutting it. If it is not frozen enough, it is too squishy and it is difficult getting a fairly uniform thickness. I try to cut mine so it is about as thick as “thick cut” bacon. You might like thicker… After an hour in the freezer I grab the first steak and start cutting. If I have trouble with the center of the steak being a little too squishy to cut, I toss it back in the freezer and grab another. Once I can cut an entire steak to my liking, outside not too frozen and the center not to squishy, I move all of the steaks to the refrigerator. I grab a semi-frozen steak, slice, toss in the marinade. Over and over until it is all cut and put in the marinade.
•   Smoker:
o   I have a rack system in my grill that allows me to use 6 shelves. There are “bull racks” and other rack systems that can be used to achieve the same results.
o   I put the meat on frog mats so they cannot fall through the grates. Then just slide the frog mat onto the grate with the meat on it.
o   The spicy jerky gets a slight sprinkling of black pepper right before going on the grill.
o   Smoke at 150* F for 5 to 8 hours. The hotter parts, around the edge, bottom layer, top layer and the closest pieces to the chimney inlet, usually finish closer to the lower time frame and the center pieces finish closer to the longer time frame.
•   Notes:
o   I like to let my jerky sit in the refrigerator for a day or so before eating. The crispier pieces become more chewy. For some reason, I think it tastes a little more smoky the day after too.
o   I do not use a cure so it will not last like the stuff you buy in the grocery store. I keep it in the refrigerator for a few days and then toss the rest in the freezer. I grab a few pieces out of the freezer when I want it and just let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes and then eat it.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Beef Jerky - My Method
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 03:33:24 PM »

I wish I could copy and paste the recipe here. I use a recipe that Darke posted on the other web site named “beef jerky”

While searching for a jerky marinade recipe, I came across this old post. Is the following recipe the one that's referred to?

"Meat: 5lbs of brisket or top round. Put in freezer for 1 hour to firm up to make easier to slice if you do not have a slicer.

Marinade:

1tbs onion powder
1tbs onion salt
1tbs garlic powder
2tbs salt
1/4tsp sage
1tbs worcestershire sauce
2tbs tobasco
2 cups water

Heat sauce to make sure it mixes.
I put half the meat into one container then half in another. Pou half of marinade on top on one container and the rest on top of other container. This way all meat is covered with marinade. Poke meat with fork to make sure marinade penetrates meat. Let soak for 24 hours. After you place in smoker sprinkle fresh black pepper on top of jerky. Smoke at 150 for somewhere between 5 to 8 hours depending on how thick you cut it."
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:41:33 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up