Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hawaiian themed food... for work gathering  (Read 1811 times)

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
Hawaiian themed food... for work gathering
« on: January 16, 2018, 01:18:28 PM »

Ok, it seems our group at work is supposed to put on some sort of social gathering event...  someone decided Hawaiian theme would be good... ( trying to get into a warm state of mind, considering it's like 10F here these days ).

While I don't absolutely have to , I sort of volunteered that I could  maybe try to cook something ... along the lines of pulled pork , so that people would have something to eat... I know , usually when you feed people, they enjoy themselves.   

So, then I set out to see what 'traditional' Hawaiian pork might actually be like... I find information on Kalua Pig... which as near as I can tell , is just relatively bland pig cooked in a underground pit full of hot rocks and coals... When I look for information on what spices are used... all I get is salt and the meat being wrapped in banana leaves.   Less traditional , but still apparently how it's often really done in Hawaii these days is with a bit of liquid smoke in a crock pot with the pork.

So, I'm not a big fan of bland pork, or bland anything for that matter, so I'm thinking I might as well throw tradition out the window for now... and just try and find something that I think would be tasty...

So, pulled pork still seems like about the easiest thing to do on short notice... also probably about as cheap as anything I can think of.    But part of me still would like to at least give people the idea that it's somehow related to Hawaii ...   

Anyone got any suggestions? pointers to recipes... or want to tell me where I'm going wrong and what I should do instead?

Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Hawaiian themed food... for work gathering
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 01:26:58 PM »

I think you are exactly right about Kulua pork, it did not seem that special to me the one time I had it. But I think pulled pork is always good for parties. 

Maybe you just wanted to get creative about a sauce that could be served along side it?  Make up something -- pineapples are very Hawaiian and go with pork -- a chunky pineapple based sauce or even a pineapple chutney.  Go in with a co-worker and get them to bring the little Hawaiian bread rolls and make sliders?

Or you could go with a volcano themed hot sauce -- a lava sauce?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 01:47:56 PM »

Teriyaki ribs or shoyu chicken?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 01:51:09 PM »

I think you are exactly right about Kulua pork, it did not seem that special to me the one time I had it. But I think pulled pork is always good for parties. 

Maybe you just wanted to get creative about a sauce that could be served along side it?  Make up something -- pineapples are very Hawaiian and go with pork -- a chunky pineapple based sauce or even a pineapple chutney.  Go in with a co-worker and get them to bring the little Hawaiian bread rolls and make sliders?

Or you could go with a volcano themed hot sauce -- a lava sauce?

That's mostly what I was thinking... is make a basic pulled pork, then have some sauces to go with it that might sort of have that island flavoring... I know one site I saw had 'Grilled Pineapple Salsa', that sounded pretty good..  I was also thinking about the King's Hawaiian bread rolls... ( although I do wonder, do those things really have anything to do with Hawaii? )

Probably not anyway I could do it on short notice... but what would really be cool , is to have a volcano that spewed out some sort of sauce... sort of like a chocolate fountain, only for BBQ sauce. :)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 02:00:58 PM »

A sauce volcano -- now your thinking creatively!!! :clap:

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »

Heinz has a Hawaiian BBQ sauce.  I tried it but don't remember much about it.  I think it was thick but fruity sweet.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 02:14:21 PM »

Teriyaki ribs or shoyu chicken?

Sounds good... but also sounds like more effort then I had planned on...  but I do like the suggestion... if it was for people I care more about, I'd probably go down this road for sure...  ( don't get me wrong, I care for my co-workers, but this event is just a really basic thing, nothing too special )  and if nothing else, based on what I've seen of recipes for Shoyu Chicken, I wonder if some similar flavors in a pulled pork might work reasonably well... Soy, ginger, garlic, green onions...  ( my wife who's from Taiwan  often cooks with flavors of that same sort interestingly enough ).Maybe add a little pineapple just for more 'Hawaiian' vibe

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 02:24:21 PM »

I guess traditional Hawaiian would need to be determined.  My searching reveled this.  Getting some of this stuff would virtually be impossible. 

Obviously Poi, but much like your Kalua pork, tasteless.  I believe it is the cousin of Tofu.

Laulau, basically Hawaiian Dolma with pork.  It is basically your Kalua pork cooked in Taro leaves.

Poke, to me this is just hybrid of sushi and ceviche.

They have been such a melting pot of Polynesian and now days western foods there are many options.

Laugh at it, but Spam sushi is good for a reason!
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 02:30:11 PM »

Fix your normal pulled pork and serve it with a pineapple chutney.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 02:31:49 PM »

Banana leaves actually do add a distinctive flavor that I like. If you are cooking ahead of time you could put the pork in little banana leaf pouches, then warm them up as individual servings. Would be some work, but nice presentation. Not sure how much you like these people.

This is chicken, but you get the picture.

Edit: I was posting this as you must have been commenting on your interest level in your above post. Definitely scratch this, as it would be fairly time consuming.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:35:29 PM by Free Mr. Tony »

dk117

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »

I hate to rant on my wife but this one is close to home.  I do a pulled pork, injected with pineapple juice and liquid smoke.  Molasses glue Hawaiian sea salt as rub.  It's a superior Kalua pulled pork.    My wife wants a mushy pork which is what she gets in Hawaii.   Only way to do that is to finish in a crock pot.  I cannot and do no want to achieve the mushy pulled pork with the pellet grill alone.

I do agree that pineapple pulled pork is your best bet. 

DK

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 03:58:20 PM »

After injecting, leave the pork in the frigid for about a day and then cook it. The bromelain in the juice will give her the results she wants...

I do a pulled pork, injected with pineapple juice...  My wife wants a mushy pork which is what she gets in Hawaii.
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

tmb2735

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 07:40:49 PM »

Huli Huli Chicken? I make it on the grill sometimes. Many recipes on the net. (wasn't sure if I should post one here) Very easy like BBQ chicken.

dk117

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 08:31:55 PM »

Huli Huli Chicken? I make it on the grill sometimes. Many recipes on the net. (wasn't sure if I should post one here) Very easy like BBQ chicken.
Huli Huli chicken is classic Hawaiian.  Problem is huli means turn.  So you have skinless chicken thighs and

Combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, sherry, ginger, garlic, and green onions

Then turn, turn until done.   Frankly I've never had anyone appreciate that it's a Hawaiian dish.  Tasty though. 

DK
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up