Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hawaiian themed food... for work gathering  (Read 1801 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Hawaiian themed food... for work gathering
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 09:58:53 PM »

To me, that is a much better fit then cole slaw!

Agreed.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 11:29:22 PM »

Looks good! :clap:

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 06:00:59 AM »

The salsa is good on the sandwich,  however it's not nearly spicy enough for me...  I'm thinking of doing another batch with a little habanero in the mix...  I also will likely smoke the pineapple longer in effort to get more of the smokey flavor to come through.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 06:31:06 AM »

Man that's a great looking salsa and pork.
My guess is that'll be a big hit.

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 07:31:49 AM »

To me, that is a much better fit then cole slaw!

I love good slaw, but I never quite understood why people think it would go good on top of pulled pork...

With my 'salsa'... it's mostly salsa in name only, because I didn't know what else to call it.    All it really is , is grilled pineapple that was sprinkled with something resembling Memphis dust ( without hardly any salt , and some Chipitole powder in the mix )... and well, it wasn't so much grilled as it was smoked on the top shelf of my PG500, for a bit over a hour , while I was cooking the butt. 

I think I could really get to like the grilled pineapple condiment with a little more tweaking...  The smokey flavor on the cooked pineapple really provides a interesting flavor.   I'd like to have a bit more heat in the end result, but ideally , keeping the 'yellow' color in the pineapple as much as possible.  That' why I'm thinking maybe a tiny bit of yellow, or orange habanearo sort of peppers would kick the spice level up a notch without changing the color like more 'red' colored powders...   I do like the bits of green jalapeno's in the salsa, I think that adds to the 'Hawaiian' look for me, like the green tops of a pineapple...

Anyway, I am reasonably happy with the overall flavors... but then, I do think there's room to make it better.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 08:43:01 AM »

At what temperature did you smoke the butt?

I'm actually more interested in the pineapple's cooking temperature, LHt/HHt and IT when you pulled it.  I'm thinking of making a huli-huli pulled chicken variation.  (See, you're inspirational.)
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 10:06:23 AM »

I got a second in an anything butt one time with a mahi mahi with a pineapple jalapeno sauce.  It sound like too much, but the recipe I used called for equal amounts of pineapple and jalapeno and it came out great (judges must have like it also).  So more jalapeno would probably be a good thing.  Ever thought of adding a little coconut milk to the sauce for a real Hawaiian taste?

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 12:13:26 PM »

At what temperature did you smoke the butt?

I'm actually more interested in the pineapple's cooking temperature, LHt/HHt and IT when you pulled it.  I'm thinking of making a huli-huli pulled chicken variation.  (See, you're inspirational.)
LHT = 15 ( pretty much always is ), HHT = 35 ( I think ) for temperature up to 285F... above 285F, HHT would have been 65.

I started out at like 250F, but quickly turned that down to 230F..  I went like that for about 6 hours, then I threw in the Pineapple on the top shelf, this caused the temperature readings to drop, I assume from evaporative cooling, but that is what the dip is in the temperature on the graph... it also happens to be when I basted the butt with this pineapple/jalapeno marinade I had soaked the butt in prior to cooking..  I got impatient near the end and started raising the temperature  up toward 285F and somewhere about two hours before I finished, I cooked 18 chicken wings on the top shelf above the butt , I covered the butt loosely with tinfoil at that time, to keep chicken drippings off it...  After the wings and foil were removed, I took the butt internal temp up to 195F... The whole process took like 15 hours. ( started at 3:30AM, finished at 6:30PM, ambient temperatures were around 32F the entire time )

Here's a output of the whole cook... 

https://share.fireboard.io/50062F
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:16:30 PM by LowSlowJoe »

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 12:22:17 PM »

Pineapple in a nutshell...  was on for about 1.5 hours (9:06AM to 10:33), cooked on upper shelf ( zone 3 ), temperature was right around 242F in that area, before I put the tray of pineapple there... during the time I was cooking it, the temperature readings were around 230F, the probe closest to the pineapple was sitting like 2 inches bellow that rack full of pineapple... 

If/when I do it again, I'll probably cook the pineapple at a little lower temperature and let it sit in there for at least 2.5 hours, maybe 3 to try and get more smoke on it.

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 12:34:59 PM »

Also... to be very clear... Most of the color on these pineapple hunks is a result of the Memphis style dust that I put on top of the pineapple... there was a little browning from the heat, but mostly this color is from the spice mixture... 

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 12:38:16 PM »

This is the pineapple before it went out to the grill

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 03:32:16 PM »

You can go all Westwood and call it a Smoked Pineapple Relish infused with Chipitole...Ohh, and work Mango in there some where...Oh I forgot, it is not 2006...

With my 'salsa'... it's mostly salsa in name only, because I didn't know what else to call it.    All it really is , is grilled pineapple that was sprinkled with something resembling Memphis dust ( without hardly any salt , and some Chipitole powder in the mix
Bacon is a Gateway Food...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up