Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fix for salty pastrami?  (Read 3679 times)

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Fix for salty pastrami?
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:37:12 PM »

Unfortunately, I pretty much ruined a beautiful piece of meat with a new recipe I tried. I mentioned in another thread that I started a corned beef about a week ago. Here are some pics.

I soaked it for 4 hours with a water change after it was in the corning liquid for a week. Smoked then steamed.

It turned out beautiful

BUT...it is extremely salty and nearly inedible.

So my question is does anyone have a fix for saltiness AFTER it's done? I assume it's toast, but figured I'd throw this out there.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Fix for salty pastrami?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 05:44:44 PM »

I don't like pastrami, but that sure looks nice.  Unfortunate that it is too salty for you.  I wonder if you soaked it in water with some potatoes if that would suck some salt out.  I have tried potatoes in a soup or bbq sauce that was too salty and it helped.  Not sure if it would draw out of the meat though.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 06:06:03 PM »

I'm not sure if would help meat, but addition of sugar has been effective for me in solving over salt in other dishes.  ???
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 06:19:55 PM »

I'm not sure if would help meat, but addition of sugar has been effective for me in solving over salt in other dishes.  ???

That has worked for me in other liquid dishes too.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 06:20:11 PM »

Always do a test fry before cooking/ smoking.
If too salty, keep soaking.

Did your brine have sugar in it? If so leave it in the brine longer. Meat absorbs salt much faster than sugar, so it needs time in the brine.

Not sure how to reduce the salt now.  Maybe use it in chilli, or spaghetti sauce?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 06:40:52 PM »

All I can think of is to make it into a hash with potatoes and onions and don't salt  either of those and hope it mellows all out in the hash.  Alternatively, send it to Bent, he will say "What salty taste?"

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 07:39:30 PM »

Thanks for the replies. At this point I'll just try something to salvage. I have used the same recipe for years, so didn't think to do a try fry. Certainly will next time I try a new recipe. There was some sugar in the brine, and it was in the brine for plenty of time. I think it just needed some more soaking.

I did think of Bentley's comment about not soaking in a different thread. I can't imagine liking this salt content, and him and I have agreed in the past on liking salt.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:58:26 PM by Free Mr. Tony »

Chris__M

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • Food Adventure
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 07:53:34 PM »

My first efforts at salt beef also suffered this way. I ended up cubing it and slowcooking with a mixture of root veg, but mainly potatoes; and no seasoning.

Turned out great.
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 08:11:07 PM »

I have no suggestions for getting the salt "out" but could be used as a hash like Kristin said and let it season the potatoes etc.
As a side note, that truly does look absolutely perfect.
Do your best not to waste it, maybe a sweeter dressing and meat chopped and not sliced to maybe help balance it on the sandwich?

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 09:23:19 PM »

If soaking whole wont take it out slice it then soak... or send to me unfortunately I like Bentley likes salt...

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG
Pages: [1]   Go Up