Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts/input on dessert for a competition  (Read 1125 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Thoughts/input on dessert for a competition
« on: February 01, 2018, 03:57:32 PM »

This is the time of year that I start experimenting with dessert recipes for competitions which may or may not be entered in the summer and fall  We may go to Fredericksburg in May or, if the AR is in late Sept/early Oct be there.  So I thought I would get some feed back.

For any CBJs out there, you know what it is like to have judged 4 meats and then be presented with desserts.  But for others, a little explanation.  You need to imagine that you have consumed a pretty fair amount of bbq and no sides or bread.  You have taken one or two bites from 6 pieces of chicken, then six to 12 bites from pork ribs, then 6 to 12 mouthfuls of pork butt/shoulder, and finally 6 to 12 bites of brisket.  Most people are pretty full.  The flavor profiles can be all over the place -- some sweet, some vinegary, some hot, some tomatoey, some perfect.  I think any judge will tell you that you are pretty full right now.

You are given about a half hour break and now 4 to 6 desserts are brought in for you to taste and judge.  Hopefully you can imagine this.  Just think about the last time you really pigged out on a lot of cue -- it can be a little heavy in the stomach and on the palate.

So, I try to look for desserts that might stand out for those in a food coma.  I have done well with chocolate desserts and cheesecakes, not so well with anything fruit based.  But I am now thinking of going more tangy/sour.  I saw a recipe on America's Test Kitchen for Sour Orange Pie and I am cooking one today for a family dinner tomorrow.  So won't have any feedback to share on the pie until later.  Given what the TV show said, it should be in the vein of a key lime pie, only they claimed much better.

So, I would like to know, if you were eating all that cue, would you prefer a chocolate taste, a cheesecake smoothness, or a tangy taste?  Or maybe something else?

Rydes84

• Using less gas.
Re: Thoughts/input on dessert for a competition
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 04:32:01 PM »

Of the 2 contests I judged that had deserts, The tangy/citrus based deserts stood out the most. One was a mini key lime pie that that looked beautiful and also had that "refreshing" quality to it. 

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 06:02:10 PM »

I like citrus, but know alot of people who don't. They would rather have chocolate either way. Maybe a lighter chocolate dessert?

Seems citrus would do better in the spring as people are craving summer. If in autumn, I would maybe go a different route.

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 06:11:32 PM »

So, I would like to know, if you were eating all that cue, would you prefer a chocolate taste, a cheesecake smoothness, or a tangy taste?  Or maybe something else?

One of the cook teams I know always turn in cheesecake. It's a big winner for them.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Jcorwin818

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • 10th SFG (Lenexa, Ks)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 06:11:56 PM »

As a competitor I would like to see desserts done away with, it is a BBQ Contest and should not include desserts. JMO
Traeger 075 Texas (USA) WSM 22" Weber Kettle Weber Spirit 310

triplebq

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 09:15:46 PM »

As a competitor I would like to see desserts done away with, it is a BBQ Contest and should not include desserts. JMO

The good thing is in KCBS it doesn't count towards the "normal" competition. They desert category is optional. So if a team doesn't want to do desert they can stick with the traditional 4 meats.

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 01:55:29 AM »

Boy Kristin, that's tough. If I had pigged out on that much Q (like THAT ever happens!) and my palate has been overloaded with all that spice and richness, I would be up for something lighter and refreshing. Citrus would be wonderful, and I'm always ready for a piece of Key Lime Pie, but maybe something in a different direction might work, too. Have you thought about some type of mint dessert? Like a grasshopper pie, or a mint-lemon cake? A cake could be made either rich and heavy or refreshing and light depending on your desire.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

scooter

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 03:53:03 AM »

I've judged many dessert categories after the four meats and after all that heavy meat the best desserts are creamy citrus desserts that are light and refreshing! Lemon or lime cheesecakes or cream pies are great but your orange pie would do well as long as it's nicely orange and creamy but not too sour.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 07:30:17 AM »

Yes, I am wondering about the sour level myself.  Guess I will find out tonight.  I will post some photos and report back.  Thanks for all the thought s and feedback  These are always tough calls for me.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 08:20:56 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Family loved it, not too sour, nice orange flavor came through with some tang.  But I am not sold.  I will keep it on the short list for more testing.  Did not really try and do anything for decoration.  Would have to amp it up for a competition.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 08:22:27 PM by Kristin Meredith »

TechMOGogy

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Ontario, Canada
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 10:28:32 PM »

Looks great!
Dan
GMG DC, FEC100, PK360

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 11:00:02 PM »

After all those bites of rich meats i would prefer a contrasting taste and texture.  Raspberry and chocolate work well together and might bridge the gap.  Passion fruit and chocolate is one of my favorites.   :2cents:

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 08:32:00 AM »

Kristin- Try a Dark Chocolate Genache on top of the Orange and use the Whip Cream to make accents... The Bitter Sweet will help counterbalance the sweet/sour kind of like a "Terry's Chocolate Orange"

Family loved it, not too sour, nice orange flavor came through with some tang.  But I am not sold.  I will keep it on the short list for more testing.  Did not really try and do anything for decoration.  Would have to amp it up for a competition.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 08:34:04 AM by riverrat49 »
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

triplebq

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 08:53:34 AM »

Nice looking desert.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 09:00:52 AM »

Kristin- Try a Dark Chocolate Genache on top of the Orange and use the Whip Cream to make accents... The Bitter Sweet will help counterbalance the sweet/sour kind of like a "Terry's Chocolate Orange"

Great suggestion, that may take it to the next level I was looking for.  Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up