Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sous Vide help  (Read 1004 times)

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Sous Vide help
« on: February 26, 2018, 08:43:39 PM »

I have wanted one for a while. Ordered it Saturday, Amazon said Tuesday, nope today. Recipes for a beginner please.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Sous Vide help
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »

get an amazon kindle book on sous vide
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 08:55:11 PM »

Google Sous Vide Everything.

They have a lot of videos that are helpful and entertaining.

It's kind of a rabbit hole. Just a warning.

Good luck!
FE PG 1000

Timbo1010

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 09:30:08 PM »

Meathead at amazingribs.com has a section that's called sous vide que that's pretty good and I got a lot info from seriouseats.com
Blaz'n Gridiron

Timbo1010

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 09:55:14 PM »

The best Turkey breast I've made was done Sous vide
I  deboned a Turkey breast with the skin. Seasoned with S/P into bag added a few sprigs fresh tyme and sage and 2 pads butter 1 breast per bag vac sealed
Sous vide 145 for 3 1/2 hr  I seared in broiler at 500 for about 8 min skin side up, was super moist and very tender the only thing that would have made it better would be a little smoke
Blaz'n Gridiron

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 09:16:41 AM »

This will be a helpful page, to look through he has tables for different meats with times, and temps.
http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Find a nice pork tenderloin and seal it up, do it for 2-3 hours at 137-145 depending on if you and yours will eat pork that is still pink in the center, and then take out and quickly put it in cold water to stop the cooking, then out of the bag and dry off and put under the broiler for a few or a hot iron pan, I have even used my gas grill to finish it off.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:55:24 AM »

I've paged through several books. Full disclosure, I have not made any of these recipes. This book was the most interesting that I looked through.

Sous Vide at Home: The Modern Technique for Perfectly Cooked Meals https://www.amazon.com/dp/0399578064/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_TdxLAbVT4JY3R

Plant175

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 10:22:58 AM »

Forgive me for being really stupid on these but do they really work ? This is no fad like the air fryer or something like that is it ?

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 11:27:51 AM »

Forgive me for being really stupid on these but do they really work ? This is no fad like the air fryer or something like that is it ?

Absolutely, yes. They work. They've been around for years in the restaurant and service field, but it was too expensive for home cooking. Now that they are affordable, they are everywhere. I wasn't a huge fan of the process, but not because it didn't work. A large water tub and vac sealer are not necessary, but make it a much easier way to cook.

Although I don't see it as a fad, I would check back in a year or so to see how many people just store it away somewhere rarely used. I don't see it as a fad because it's not gimmicky, but it may find its way into the same spot on your basement shelf right next to the products that were a fad.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:30:49 AM by Free Mr. Tony »

Timbo1010

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 02:07:58 PM »

One thing you must take into account is everything needs to be planned out because of the cooking times.
I reheat vac sealed leftover bbq a lot, works great without overheating. I hate nuked bbq
Blaz'n Gridiron

gwilliams99

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »

This will be a helpful page, to look through he has tables for different meats with times, and temps.
http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Find a nice pork tenderloin and seal it up, do it for 2-3 hours at 137-145 depending on if you and yours will eat pork that is still pink in the center, and then take out and quickly put it in cold water to stop the cooking, then out of the bag and dry off and put under the broiler for a few or a hot iron pan, I have even used my gas grill to finish it off.

Baldwin is the leader in SV information, he was into to SV before the hipsters made it cool.

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 07:28:42 PM »

Yorkdude, do you like eggs? If so, how do you like them? I Love eggs in just about any way you can cook them. The only exception for me is that the whites need to be somewhat firm. 2-3 degrees can make that difference.

If ya think about it, the sous vide is similar to a pellet smoker when yer a newb. Step one, assemble unit. Step 2, fire it up. When ya fire up a pellet cooker, yer burning off the manufacturing residue. Then ya do the temp test. Same thing for sous vide. Get a reliable thermometer and test the temp. If it's accurate, start experimenting. What better/cheaper way than eggs? No one in their right mind would put a brisket on a pellet smoker on day one.

Keep it simple at first, and work yer way up. It's a learning process, and ya gotta get yer hands wet.

:2cents: for now... 
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 08:20:02 PM »

Thanks for the responses, tried a real simple shrimp recipe.
Shrimp, lemon zest, lemon juice, butter, garlic, kosher salt, black pepper. Into the spa for an hour. Melted a little butter and added panko bread crumbs, started broiler, sprinkled them with the bread crumb/butter and some fresh grated Parmesan and in for 3 minutes. They were pretty good, going to be fun to play with. Got some pork chops that I am going to smoke and try them next. I am dying to try a 2" rib eye or filet. For $129.00 it was worth it.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 09:20:03 PM »

Those look tasty!

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 09:26:08 PM »

Those shrimp sure look great.

Some ideas for you...

One of my favorites are egg bites: https://anovaculinary.com/easy-homemade-sous-vide-egg-bites/
Make 6 or 12 and have breakfast for the next few weeks. I do the bacon and Gruyere but almost any cheese works well.

Another are crispy skin chicken thighs. I buy the large pack, bone them, season and vac seal/freeze them 2 to a pack. Then they're ready to go anytime:
https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-thigh.html

Of course, nothing beats a good thick steak. These were sous vide at 131, then seared in a hot pan.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 08:40:41 PM by bregent »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up