Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pork Shoulder on the Elite  (Read 1901 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Pork Shoulder on the Elite
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 09:01:31 PM »

I can't wait to buy some cookinpellets cherry pellets in April when they become available.  It may become the only wood I use once I am out of my other stuff.  I love the color it provides on meat.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 01:46:23 AM »

Seems to have lost a bit of color but this is sure going to be moist.  I put it into 3 separate containers in the fridge, but mixed a different rub in with the meat in each to hopefully add a little more flavor to it.  Will find out tomorrow.  If this works as I expect it will, this may be my new method for cooking pork shoulder.  I may even consider throwing peppers and onions in with it.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 01:51:16 AM by Bar-B-Lew »
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 01:48:37 AM »

Certainly one way to concentrate flavors and keep the meat moist!  Do you allow the beer to reduce as you cook?

I kept the lid on while it was in the oven so not much moisture escaped.  I ended up with a little less then a quart of liquid in the pan.  I poured it into a container and put into the fridge.  May use it for a soup base or for additional liquid should the pork need some in the steam table throughout the day.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 01:52:59 AM by Bar-B-Lew »

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 09:24:27 AM »

I see your point Z, but there also needs to be a serious discussion about Bent's sense of humor and attempts at sarcasm which often don't come through like he hoped.

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 01:18:55 PM »

So I’m late getting on
Very nice cook you have going there Bar-B-Lew.  You’re always generous with the photos too.

Sorry ZCZ, but I missed you post. WOW that’s really something that you had to delete something that you had written.

Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 10:58:11 PM »

Went to a hockey game with a buddy on Saturday who was at the St Pat's party.  He was still raving about the pulled pork and said he had three plates of it at the party.  Ended up removing the fat on top of the liquid I retained and poured it in the roaster oven with the meat to keep it moist.  Had it on 350 degrees for an hour and then turned down to 200 for the rest of the day.  I vac sealed and froze the leftovers.  May be a good sous vide experiment for me to warm up.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2024, 07:48:09 PM »

I didn't forget about this post, Lew.  I tried it.  Here are my results–

•  10:00 … Into Masterbuilt Gravity smoker
•  Masterbuilt set at 275°.  (It ran at 276-278°, verified by Fireboard.)
•  3:00 … IT hit 160°, wrapped in 3-beer bath.
•  3:30 … Added charcoal.
•  5:45 … Done (≈8 hours).

Pretty darn good and certainly easy.  Thanks for posting it.

I think that my next butt (soon) will be a ≈16-hour, overnight and rest butt on the MAK 2-Star.  I may like it slightly better but it's hard to tell.

Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2024, 08:46:26 PM »

Digging through the archives there, Paul.  Thanks for the resurrection.  Six years later, and that is basically my method of cooking pork shoulders.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2024, 12:47:46 PM »

Digging through the archives there, Paul.

Yes, but not aimlessly.  I maintain a list of recipes that I want to try.  Sometimes, one that I especially like will get transferred to the Best Recipes list.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up