Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoking Vegetables  (Read 2096 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Smoking Vegetables
« on: March 29, 2018, 02:13:03 PM »

My diet restrictions continue to get more and more strict.

Now my physician says that she wants me to move toward a plant-based diet.  Not vegetarian.  She just wants me to reduce the amount of meat I eat.  She says many people observe meatless Mondays.  Others expand it to varying degrees.

She thinks two or three meatless days a week will benefit me.

So...Please post your good smoked vegetable recipes in the recipe section.  I'll find them (or you could give me a "heads up" that you've done so in this thread).

Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

dk117

Re: Smoking Vegetables
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 03:05:17 PM »

This is a pretty tough place to go plant based.  I enjoy shish kebab.   This entails a marinaded meat (beef or chicken or sausage) skewered with veggies, often a side of potato salad.  Pretty simple fare really.   Fresh yellow, red, orange peppers.   White onion with garlic powder and olive oil.   Mushrooms if you have them   All skewered and on the smoker for 90 mins or so, maybe 180, 225 would be quicker.   I'm not sure if the meal would work without the protein, but you could start there.

I also had a grilled romaine salad at a restaurant once.  I duplicated on the gasser.   Romaine lettuce olive oil, lots of pepper and kosher salt.   Grilled quickly, like a few mins each side, and topped with a sunny side up egg and some Parmesan cheese.   It really works. 

That's about all I got for the non meat department.

DK

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 03:22:33 PM »

Can it be raw vegetables as well as smoked?  My SIL has a good recipe for a raw broccoli salad.  Of course, it does have bacon pieces crumbled in it, so not wholly meat free.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 03:23:29 PM »

Pizza
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 04:00:26 PM »

Pizza

Yeah, that's definitely the healthy alternative to meat :rotf:
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 04:52:27 PM »

Can it be raw vegetables as well as smoked?  My SIL has a good recipe for a raw broccoli salad.  Of course, it does have bacon pieces crumbled in it, so not wholly meat free.

That would certainly be reduced meat.  I think I'd like that salad.  Please post it.

(Do we need a special vegetable recipe section?)
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 05:06:50 PM »

BTW, she mentioned that my diet should have a focus on vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, and plain water for thirst.  She said that we all should eat more beans (and then we both sort of giggled).  She said, "Yeah, I know."  Then went on, "Around the world, in the locations where inhabitants enjoy longevity and vitality—they all eat beans.  Beans are really, really good for us, they are among the most beneficial foods for human health.  And the more beans you eat the more you'll develop a tolerance for them and produce less gas."

So...Do you have an exceptionally good smoked baked bean recipe or anything else that fits?
Paul

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 05:13:38 PM »

Have you ever tried the Vegi burger patties?  I remember in 1973 in Riverside, there was a market called Stater Brothers.  They were promoting a Soy ground Beef.  I cant remember if it was infused with the beef or it was a replacement.  I recall liking it a great deal...Not really sure why I shared this...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 05:15:30 PM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 05:14:49 PM »

Trooper has an excellent baked bean dish -- I think it uses 3 or 4 different types of beans.  I will sned a pm to post if he will share.

glitchy

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 05:22:25 PM »

I bet you could make a vegetarian chili on the pit, there’s also vegetarian ground product that I think might be called crumbles.

I don’t eat the fruits and vegetables I should. So far, I’ve found I like zucchini, onions, and many kinds of peppers grilled. A lot of the cookbooks that come with grills have grilled peaches and apricots. Maybe eggplant grills well?
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 05:28:48 PM »

We have a side dish section, but it does encompass a lot of stuff that is probably bad for us, although delish!!!  So I put in a vegetable area.

I know it has to be a bit more into summer with more fresh veggies available, but one night I did just a whole platter of grilled veggies for dinner -- sliced onions, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, green peppers, beets, mushrooms,etc.   Got a bit of char on stuff and it was pretty good.

Also, for beans, take a cassoulet recipe and modify.  Maybe no pork, just a bit of chicken for flavor and texture, maybe more onions.  Or there are probably all veg versions you could find on line.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »

Oh, veg chili -- great idea.  I don't have a recipe, but I made one even Bent liked just throwing stuff in I would eat --  cooked onions, black beans, pinto beans, navy beans, corn, green peppers, tomatoes sauce and diced tomatoes.  You can get real creative.

This is inspiring me to go back and start cooking the way I am supposed to be eating!!!

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 06:49:04 PM »

I'm curious P, and don't mean to sound intrusive... but why 'meat'? Is it red meat, white meat, certain cuts of meat?
Land meat, air meat, and water meat? Or is it 'protein'? If so, you can scratch a bunch of veggies off the list as well.
Or is it fiber related (lack of enough)?

Sorry for prying.  :-[
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 08:33:30 PM »

It doesn’t seem like prying, Bob.  I have osteoarthritis that’s fairly well distributed around my body.  My rheumatologist has been nagging me to lose weight to take some of the load off of some joints.  She said, “You should be so thin that people say, ‘Paul, you’re too thin.’”  She put me on a diet of 1,375 Calories per day six weeks ago.  I may eat anything I want, even a bowl of M&Ms, but 1,375 Calories is my daily limit.  The other stipulations are–
  • Consume 64 oz. of water and 25 grams of fiber daily
  • Maintain a food diary in a special book and take it with me when I periodically see the dietitian
  • Burn a minimum 300 Calories in additional daily exercise (more is better)
My newest requirement is, as I wrote earlier, to reduce the amount of meat I consume—reduce all meat.  It’s apparently easier to accomplish if it’s done on a total day basis.
Paul

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 10:44:57 PM »

Just want to cook good food. DB GMG
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up