Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Low Sodium  (Read 1573 times)

Jon515

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Low Sodium
« on: April 20, 2018, 06:38:01 PM »

I recently found out i have high blood pressure.  (Not shocked, I've gained some weight the last few years) My Dr. is treating very aggressively because we don't know my family history.  So recently when shopping for food I couldn't help but be shocked how high in sodium lunch meat was.  So my question is does anyone here just have a slicer and make their own? I've done a little looking on Amazon and they can be had with good reviews for under $150.00 bucks.  Here is an example:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:34:08 PM by Bentley »

W6YJ

Re: Low Sodium
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 07:10:50 PM »

After looking around at a bunch of slicers, I ended up buying that exact unit to make salt-free lunch meat.

I've been making boneless/skinless chicken breasts coated with a 1:1:1 mix of:
Powdered garlic
Powdered onion
Costco salt free seasoning
All mixed into EVOO.

Then smoked at 180 degrees for an hour followed by enough time at 300 degrees to get the IT to 160 degrees.

The only surprise (to me anyway) with the slicer was the blade speed seemed slower than I had expected. But it cuts the cooked and chilled chicken breast just fine.

Once you've started making your own lunch meat, you will be surprised how much salt is in just about every condiment and cheese out there. I did find one salt-free mustard (Westbrae Natural Stoneground Mustard - No Salt Added). Amazon sells twelve packs for a little under $23, or $1.90 per 8oz bottle.

Boar's Head makes low sodium lunch meats (turkey breast, ham, and beef) along with low sodium cheese, but I have not found any of it in any local stores that do carry the other Boar's Head products.

Jon515

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 07:42:20 PM »

Thank you for the reply! Is that slicer large enough to handle things like brisket, pork belly or things o that nature?

W6YJ

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 07:59:29 PM »

Bentley would be the person to ask (IIRC he has the 610), but guessing it might be on the small side.

I just measured and there is 9 & 1/4" of space with the food carriage all the way to the left.

And the food carriage itself is only 7" left to right, so the last couple of inches of the meat you're slicing might bend downward as it wouldn't be supported.

You would probably need to split the brisket down the middle.

Ed

mowin

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 09:55:47 PM »

My wife has been in a low carb and low sodium diet for yrs. I smoke turkey, chicken, ham, as well as grill the same as she gets tired of smoked foods.  I know, how can someone get tired of smoked foods, lol. 

She's not a big beef fan, but loves burgers, so I create different burgers with cheese or other things to keep them different. 

Pork chops I cold smoke, then vac seal.  When it's time to cook, I SV them, then reverse sear.  So tender and juicy. The only way I'll do pork chops.

cjs180

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 10:06:28 AM »

I have noticed same thing with lunch meats. Today I am smoking a chicken along with 2 wild Turkey  breasts that I plan to slice thin for lunch meat. I brined both in a simple brine using Morton's salt substitute instead of salt. This evening we will try it out.

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 12:13:55 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about a slicer in the $150.00 range. I have the 610 version and have had no problems in 4 years. I don't use it all the time.
It's listed at $96.95 and has pretty good reviews. The only issue I've had so far is the 'thickness' dial on the back. It stopped 'clicking' and started to free float. No biggy for me as I prefer the thinner slice that the dial can't get down to in the click mode. I can do see thru slices if I like.

It comes with a 7" blade just like the one mentioned in your link. What does that translate to? You can slice anything 3-1/2" thick. No way are you gonna get a 7" diameter ham thru it. The vast majority of us will never see 'lunch meat' of those proportions.

Horse power is how fast you get to the wall. Torque is how far past the wall you can get.  :pig:
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 03:54:17 PM »

My 610 has been reliable, it is only a 7 inch blade though, but it works well for my needs.  Any of the non fermented cold cuts would be fairly easy to make, but not to may of them out there.  Bologna, cotto salami, mortadela, olive loaf...They are pretty easy, but you get into the aged and fermented...and you are out of my league!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 04:44:29 PM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

GrillinGlen

• Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 09:20:51 PM »

I have the same as Bentley,  i ended up also getting a 12" i think, just for size.  Its so much bigger of a pain to clean that i kinda regret getting it.  The little one is pretty easy.   If you go with something else definitely read the comments regarding ease of cleaning
2011 SS Memphis Pro

Jon515

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 10:38:13 PM »

Thanks for all the replies, I have a slicer on the way.  For slicing how do you guys do it, frozen, mostly frozen or just cold???

leppolite

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 03:30:22 PM »

I tend to let it get partially frozen, totally frozen will be rough on the blade...you want the outside to be hard but the inside to be a bit soft still. That is how I do it anyhow and it seems to work out well. I think I have the 610 or 615, its got a 7" blade fwiw.
Rec Tec RT-680
Akorn Kamado
Pit Boss Copperhead 5

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 03:31:48 PM »

I guess I missed it...What are we slicing?

Thanks for all the replies, I have a slicer on the way.  For slicing how do you guys do it, frozen, mostly frozen or just cold???

Jon515

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 06:07:42 PM »

I guess I missed it...What are we slicing?

I'll probobly just be doing turkey, roasts, brisket, pork belly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 01:10:48 PM »

Cold seems to work well.

Redapple

• Using less gas.
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 04:01:56 PM »

Been looking at the 610 and the 615 essentially the same slicer, but more wattage. Do you use the standard serrated blade, or did you order the smooth blade?

I am thinking the smooth. Amazon has a bunch of these closeouts on sale for less than 100 bucks now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up