Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burnt Ends from Pork Tenderloin  (Read 656 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Burnt Ends from Pork Tenderloin
« on: April 29, 2018, 02:46:02 PM »

I have a left over pork tenderloin and am contemplating making the equivalent of burnt ends out of it. Season, smoke, sous vide to 140°, cube, cool, sauce and finish at 300° on the pit for 10-15 minutes. Anyone tried something like this before?  ???
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Burnt Ends from Pork Tenderloin
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 03:08:13 PM »

Nope.  Only pork burnt ends I made were from country style ribs.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 03:40:04 PM »

Not a bad idea, how did they turn out?
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 04:20:25 PM »

To me, the reason a Burnt End is so good it the Marbling of the Point.  Now if you also make your Burnt Ends out of the flat and you like them I think you will enjoy the loin ones too...

But I made some Chili Colorado out of the little bit of Eye of Round I had and some Chuck.  The difference was night and day.  Both very tender, but the Round no flavor even with sauce, just a horrible mouth feel.  Just a dry, tasteless piece of tender beef.  The chuck was unbelievably good, and I believe it has to do with the marbling in the cut! It seems the only time I have ever had Chuck was Pot Roast growing up and as an adult.  Not bad, but certainly not my favorite meal.  This Chili Colorado with the Chuck!  Wow, will never use any other cut for it from now on!

So if you like the mouth feel of a very tender, but zero marbling cut of Pork, I think it will work well!  Maybe that is why Lew's shoulder Burnt Ends did so well!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 04:51:24 PM by Bentley »
Bacon is a Gateway Food...

gkas

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 04:41:52 PM »

I now use chuck for all recipes that call for 'stew beef'. Supermarket stew beef is usually all the trimmings, most of it pretty lean. When it cooks, this lean meat tends to tighten up, not cook down. My stews, etc. are all way better now that I made this change. Besides, chuck on sale is usually cheaper than stew meat.
Rec Tec RT-700

Craig in Indy

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 05:33:01 AM »

I'm another fan of chuck. I smoke it with onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic and beer, and shred it. We eat it like a pot roast, though lately I've been reserving a pound or so each time and use it in my chili. Ungodly good. And I've also used it for "poor man's" burnt ends and have been real happy with the results, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up